Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 3rd Jul 17, 7:06 AM
    • 6,572Posts
    • 37,890Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 03/07
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:06 AM
    What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 03/07 3rd Jul 17 at 7:06 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
Page 4
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 18,269 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Afternoon Friday Frugalistas,
    Odd sort of day.....back still aching like mad plus not feeling great from other issues, but is it getting me down? 'Nooooo!'. Well, it is a bit, actually, but nevertheless, I've had a productive day & have now come to a temporary standstill as am having to wait in for the Fish man to bring my order. So here are today's efforts to spend less & stay solvent:
    *Finished meal plans for next week, basing heavily around a big joint of pork we are aiming to cook on Sunday. Evangelical about leftovers in this house!
    *Wrote shopping list.
    *Put all vouchers ready for grocery shopping tomorrow.
    *Updated grocery budget & paid Week 1's shop off CC (only use it for loyalty vouchers which help with clothes, gifts, etc).
    *Re-embursed myself £9.50 from Household Piggy to keep smaller budgets straight.
    *NSD. Could have had car this afternoon but no point as have to wait in for fish man.
    *Freezer containers & filet knife all at the ready for fish delivery as will cut into portions & freeze for fishy meals for the next 2 months.
    *Picked more sweet peas from garden for a fragrant bouquet on lounge windowsill.
    *Entered a competition & 2 prize draws.
    *Pack a couple of filled rolls, crisps & mini-muffins to take with us on city centre trip tomorrow. Am happy to buy coffees while we're there & possible a treat to share (or may take mini-scone contraband!) but not to then waste £15 -ish on a very average supermarket cafe lunch because we've arrived to get our groceries at lunchtime when we're hungry.
    *Divvy up the slow cooker BBQ sauce I made yesterday. Need a goodly amount for BBQ tomorrow but rest can be frozen for future use & will tempt mr f away from hanging his nose over premium brands of such sauces in the supermarket for a little while!
    *Cleaned whole house using minimal products & microfibre cloths. Couldn't lift Dyson upstairs with my bad back but mr f unexpectedly popped back home for lunch, as if he knew there was a Dyson-hoisting job just waiting for him.
    *Checked veggie garden - no need to water today as we had a tremendous downpour & thunderstorm last night.
    Well, that's today's bits & pieces. Intend to knit & watch 'Handmaid's tale' while I wait for the fish man......hope he's not too late, but to be fair, he is coming all the way from Grimsby. Oh.........& an encouraging piece of post today......our statement on our loan account arrived (the one we had to have to help with changing our car last year). It's the 1st statement since we paid off a big lump sum chunk & together with the regular monthly payment, it was lovely to see that the 'Amount outstanding' will begin with a '3' from early next month, instead of a '7'. It annoyed me all over again that I've had to use such a big chunk of the next big instalment to replace a naughty washing machine & some other bits & pieces, but am determined to build up this chunk of money again for another big payment.
    Right. Am looking out for vans & the smell of fish!
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 7th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 19,601 Thanks
    FatVonD

This afternoon I need to:

Return the forms to the new GP

Eye test at 3pm

Do a little bit of sorting of the garden store.

!
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    I've done the first two of these and watered the garden again, no downpours here, more's the pity. I've come to the conclusion that antirhinums are the canaries of the plant world, their leaves seem to wilt before anything else so they're my early warning system!

This is the last weekday of my week off, I haven't got nearly as much done as I thought I would (like repairing the fence ) but I do feel like I've recharged my batteries and I've sorted all the things I can't do when I'm at work on my list (except the boiler servicing which I should have booked ahead for.)

Everything has taken longer than I thought because I'm easily distracted/disorganised but there is some semblance of order throughout the house (and in my head which is the main thing.)

Tomorrow I'm going to ignore any jobs that need doing in the house and indulge myself with a day sorting the garden and garden store. I'm also going to make strawberry muffins using the wild strawberries, did anyone perfect a recipe?
    Last edited by FatVonD; 07-07-2017 at 5:53 PM.
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,880 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone
    Was up at 6am to the sounds of a very vocal and demanding black kitten.
    We decided the time was right to replace the cat I lost in Feb, felt very guilty at first. In so many ways she has so many mannerisms of the cat I lost. We also went for a kitten that wouldn't have a lot of success at finding a home as she was also very shy. She hasn't had a lot of social interaction, you can't hold her at the minute but is really coming out of her shell and currently attacking the cat tree
    Just been taking it easy as I also found a sore at the back of my leg which I didn't know about as I have no feeling, so it's always a bad sign that my body is run down a lot.
    Need to reign my spending in, when I slow down it's always a dangerous time, and having the extra money each month, I don't seem to be saving it at the minute.
    Cat cleaning all done first thing.
    DW sorted and WM currently on. Its a nice day out so this batch of washing will mean that I've nearly caught up.
    Just want to run the hoover over today, need to pop out later and then that's it for the rest of the day.
    At some point I really need to start packing up the back bedroom ready for decorating but I just can't be bothered and just don't seem to have time.
    Have a good weekend everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 19,601 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Happy new kitty, HappyKitties! There is a poster in our local pets @ home looking for a home for an 11 year old long haired tabby girl. (The same age as my girls and my favourite type of cat) I tried to remember the website but obviously remembered it wrong so I'm taking that as a sign

It's too flipping hot to do anything here, what idiot thought it would be a good idea to work in the garden today??! (Yes, that would be me ) I might have to rethink my plans...

DS has drunk all the milk so a trip to the shop is in order.

I think I might get a slow cooker spag Bol on while I still have some energy.

The garden will need watering but it can wait until after midday when the sun isn't beating down on me quite so much.

I think it's safe to hang all the coats up in various wardrobes to free up some coat hook space downstairs for DS's back pack which he has taken to leaving on the hob.

I am back at the opticians later today, this time for a contact lens check. I only wear them for special occasions so one pack usually lasts me about a year I used to wear them all the time but firstly, I have some burst blood vessels in my irises from lack of oxygen so needed to wear them less and secondly, as soon as I got to work I would need to put computer glasses over the top, I can't read in them so would take them out on the train on the way home so I worked out I was paying £30 per month for one hours wear to be able to see the train times!

Have a lovely weekend all
    Last edited by FatVonD; 08-07-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    yay to the weekend, it's turning out to be a good one. Nice and chilled after a busy period

oh let me have a lay. Then went and met dd at a park near her boyfriends. We both took food and had a kinda picnic. Bumped into a friend I haven't seen for ages

as I was driving through the other end of town stopped at M0thercare and managed to pick up a set of nighties and a pair of sandles in the sale. Both of which I had called in there for saving £13

Came home and oh has spent all day sorting out our garage. Looks so much better and so needed! We've just been sitting in the garden playing for the last hour

have watered greenhouse veg. But it's very hot so will give them another soak later

Now we're thinking of going into town having a free pina colada (courtesy of the newsletter) and then going for an early dinner at Cafe R0gue using our tesco vouchers

Think this evening will be hot tub & games night sharing a bottle picked up at Te5co yesterday making good of the 25% off of 6 bottles offer (now the challenge is not to drink it like the world will end if we don't drink it in the shortest time possible! )

Sunday is looking similarly full of relaxing times
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 8th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 18,504 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi gang

I went out with a pal today. Went for brunch and then for a nice walk round the park rather than the shops - good for the soul.
    Sorted my mortgage today - new rate kicks in from 1 October. Yay!

Paid off our holiday - paid from current a/c rather than putting it on credit. Good feeling - I can enjoy it more now.

Crocheted a dish cloth and a pot scrubby - the HM ones seem to last so much longer than bought ones - the cotton is a lot thicker/tougher.

Boring really! (Just how I like it! )

Bit more housework tomorrow and then taking the dog a walk.

Hope you're all keeping well and having a good weekend. xxx
    • little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 9th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    little pink purse
    morning everyone

cold and dull here

todays tasks
    ebay
    housework check banks
    help a friend
    go to work
    buy a little shopping grr no bread wanted a nsd

update on overtime sadly there was a mix up no extra hrs still time to try and get more I've got 20 plus days to go

have a great Sunday xxx lppxx
    nsd July 9/15
    food spend £107/£150
    July extra hrs 30/100
    £78k must go by 2020 xx
    small steps 10k at a time
    started 31/06/17 2111/10k so far
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 9th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 19,601 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all, it's another scorcher here, I'll water the garden but did all the pruning/sweeping up/weeding and moving of pots last night once it was cooler.

I hope it cools down later as I am going to see Tom Petty in Hyde Park later I don't plan on arriving until 6pm just in time to see Stevie Nicks. I will pick up some snacks on the way to avoid the extortionate food prices there.

Left over spag boll in the fridge for DS, I felt very worthy, YS mince, YS peppers, YS chillies and a home grown courgette grated into the sauce (part of an ongoing series, 101 ways to cook a courgette.)

I need to drop off the last few odd bits belonging to DSXGF this afternoon plus her passport.

I will do a little tidying and then I'm going to have a nice cool bath.

Have a nice day all
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 18,269 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Sunday Savers,
    A few bits from me;
    *Leftover BBQ for lunch.
    *Free bottle of drink courtesy of O2 Priorities.
    *Greenhouse mantenance on tomato plants, peppers, chillies & naughty aubergines.
    *Watered veggies.
    *Today's pickings - new potatoes, french beans & courgettes.
    *Treated myself to a new plant last weekend. They are usually £9.99 each which I think is too expensive, but had just been reduced to £7 so I chose one which looked like it had 2 crowns . Today I've divided it & planted 2 separate plants. Should be able to do this again in a couple of years.
    *Mr f is washing & waxing the car by hand plus full valet rather than visiting the car wash which never does as good a job anywsy.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lynch.
    *Synchronise diaries later & check camping dates. Being organised is the foundation of good mse habits, I'm sure of it.
    *All free leisure today. 2 lovely mags given to me.....over £4 each......during my Spendy Decades I used to buy as many as 12 or 15 magazines some months! Now I buy 1 plus a quarterly one & for everything else, I accept whichever titles Mum & my sister offer me! Also brought my knitting out into the sunshine. So many lovely projects to knit up from my stash which don't involve spending.
    OK.....must get those needles clacking.
    Love to all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 35,394 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Not much from me this weekend - we went away in our camper van, to try it out, on Friday We forgot several important things (though managed due to friendly and helpful campsite owner ) but also got to know how the van works etc, and things / equipment that we really need to buy. We purposely didn't buy loads of things upfront that we might not need, but now have a concise and sensible list of what was missing / would be useful - the good news being that some things can come from the pound shop, and some we already have. Still some bits (the more expensive ones, sadly) to buy though.

Anyway, today's achievements:
    Took most of our own food (home made and / or home grown) away with us
    Dog walk first thing, free exercise
    Paid milk bill
    Car booting this morning, managed to get two of the items on our camper van list (some melamine cereal bowls and a couple of extra unbreakable mugs) for pennies Also bought some bits that can find their way to my sales unit.
    OH has someone interested in buying his pick up truck, and he hasn't properly advertised it yet Fingers crossed for this one!! The idea is that we sell both our vehicles now we have the camper van, and buy a newer one that we are both happy with (we currently have 3 vehicles including the camper van, which is ridiculous though in fairness we have had both my car and OH's truck for ages, and they are in good enough condition etc still to have a reasonable resale value).
    Did some long overdue business paperwork
    Picked more French beans
    Ate these with our own new potatoes, courgettes and carrots for dinner, with salmon from the freezer, and our own cherries for dessert. Only a handful, as it is only a baby tree, and this was the second picking
    Picked the first 2 ripe tomatoes These are outside grown
    Still very hot and dry here, so more watering needed
    Last edited by DawnW; 09-07-2017 at 8:24 PM.
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £223.90 / £250
    NSDs for November 10/12

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    opps I wrote out my post this morning but didn't post

We didn't end up going out for dinner yesterday as madam was a bit distressed after contact. So we thought it would be best for everyone concerned if we just stayed at home and spent time as a family.

spent some time this morning working out what holidays madam has over the next school year, when we need childcare/mil to have her/days al. It's a bit of a headache! I think I have a week *spare* leave until end of March (after leave I've already got booked/will need to for planned holidays). OH has 5.5 days until Jan. We've decided he'll take some extra days off when I'm off and we'll go camping for 5 days there's a little off grid camp site where it's £3per tent/night nothing but nature and each other

What else have I done?

went to the lottie twice. Once to weed, harvest, tidy, sowed some beetroot. Later on to water and a little weeding.

harvested £26.92 of organic fruit and veg (equivalent of what it would have cost to buy)

load of washing & line dried. Put a mountain of washing away

watered veggies in garden

vacuumed downstairs & washed kitchen floor (after weeks of threatening!) tidied kitchen, lounge & our bedroom

ys stickered pork chops for oh & madam, with hg veg I had free vegan sausages my son bought me a few weeks ago

listening to audio book

Think that's it!

Weather like this I'm glad we're not metered I'm having 2 showers a day as is madam (can't speak for oh!)

so that's it, the weekend is almost over and I'm working tomorrow I've made the decision I'm not going to apply for the 30 hour post. There were some things that were seducing me - more money and a different manager! - but I don't want to be putting madam into after school club 3 days a week. Will keep looking for something else....

Dawn I've picked about 15 toms so far. Most have been from a little bush plant in the garden (rather than the greenhouse)
    Last edited by determined new ms; 09-07-2017 at 9:13 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 9th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,880 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Sounds like everyone has had a good weekend
    DD had sports training today-3 hour round trip and even though I took food with us DD wanted a burger king after. I got mine cheap as I had an app code but thought the whole meal was a waste, won't be doing that again.
    I tactically did a FVD hopefully it will pay off.
    I heard that Asd@ had a number of things reduced, the shelves were empty with their cat food reductions but still showing in stock online. I put in a big order, I had opted for substitutions, have had a message saying that some of the cat food will be substituted so hoping for a better deal. Will find out tomorrow night when I have the delivery-i can't wait now......little things
    Also in the store picked up things like herbal essence shampoos and conditioner for 45p-ideal for DD weekends away and toothpaste for 50p
    Not planning any more shops for at least 10 days now, have everything in.
    Last of the washing on tonight ready to go out first thing
    Back to the paperwork tomorrow
    Night night everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter