Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 2nd Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2,394Posts
    • 34,497Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd July 2017
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd July 2017 2nd Jul 17 at 9:34 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have something Flylady-related!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

IF ANYONE WANTS ANYTHING ADDED TO THE LISTS, WHEN EACH DAY IS DUE TO BE ADDED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW

Right here goes:

Magnificent Monday ~Crabby kitchen!
    Level One

Clear and wipe worksurfaces
    Empty and wash out the bin.. make it smell sweet!
    Level Two
    Wipe all appliances.. large and small
    Wipe over units and kickboards
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Level Three
    Sort and wipe a cupboard.. throw away all those germ harbouring chipped plates and mugs!
    Thoroughly clean the oven and hob
    Wipe the table.. does it need a clean cloth?

Extras
    • Wash any filters that need it.. don't forget the extractor hood!
    • Wash the windows if they need it
    • Clean/descale a small appliance.. shake the crumbs from the toaster.. defuzz the kettle...
    • Scrub out the fridge.. incorporate those 'slightly wilting' things into your meal plan!

Tingling Tuesday ~ Living Room/s, Hall, Stairs
    Level one

Declutter the floors and flat surfaces
    Empty and wash out wastepaper baskets etc
    Level Two
    Wipe sofas
    Vacuum floors... or mop them.. whatever..
    Wipe over any paintwork/doors etc
    Level three
    Vacuum under furniture you are able to move without injuring yourself
    Wash any soft furnishings
    Do a BIIIIIIG declutter... toys gone, shoes gone, paperwork gone...

Extras
    • Wipe and water neglected plants
    • Dust and deweb
    • Wash any windows that are in need
    • Binbag dance!

Wrinkly Wednesday ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One

Clean floors in these rooms
    Level Two
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
    Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins! (the proper bins not the rooms that look like bins!)
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Clear a mega hotspot!.. shred it.. and fling it.. or just burn it!

Extras
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • clean the radiators in these rooms
    • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
    • Gather up the dirty laundry upstairs!!
    • HHI... a bit more gone!

Tantalising Thursday ~ Master bedroom, hall, stairs and landing!
    Level One
    Strip, wash and replace the bedding.. leave the mattress and duvet to air!
    Declutter the floor.. and vacuum it!
    Level Two
    Put away all the shoes and clothes and bags and belts and ties lying around!
    Wash the curtains/nets and clean the window before rehanging them!
    Dust away the webs and fluff
    Level Three
    Sort through a box of stuff... I have about a million to do!
    If it hasn't been done in a while vacuum and turn the mattress
    Tidy up a cupboard of clothing

Extras
    • HHI
    • Binbag dance
    • If any children are due shoe checks/opticians/dentists today is the day to sort these out!

Final Friday ~ Frightening Kids rooms and Spare rooms
    Level One.
    Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Make an appointment for some ME-time.. hairdressers? manicure? night out with friends? .. whatever just do it!
    Level Two
    Vacuum the floor
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Donít forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
    Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Level Three
    Clean 2 windows
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors

Extras...
    • Find 5 things to ebay/freecycle
    • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
    • HHI
    • Binbag dance!!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
    Last edited by Natty68; 07-07-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 5
    • Duckydo
    • By Duckydo 8th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Duckydo
    Evening all,

I've noticed it's quite quiet on here as well Valli compared to a few years ago. Do you think it's because people are so busy these days, or because people don't know this fantastic page is here, or something else??

Another relaxed day here today, dailies done, then out for a 'baby and toddler' storytelling session at a NT property with friends, with a relaxed lunch and run round the garden with 3 bonkers toddlers!!

Pasta dinner so that Little Miss would actually eat some dinner! Then relaxed evening for once.

Hugs, sticks and spoons where required xx
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 20,132 Posts
    • 228,715 Thanks
    Valli
    we've lost a lot of posters; people drop in for a while but don't stay.
    part of the reason I joined was because I felt less isolated doing the housework, because others posted what they'd done.
    That's why I thought of the MAD half hours; was hoping they'd be shared.

Anyway, I'm not going anywhere soon.

Have towels on the line and have washed the throw.

Need to eat those frogs now...
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok today.

So far today I have hoovered through the house, changed the bedding which is now in the WM and sorted another two loads for later, and bleached the sinks. I've fed me and the dogs.

Still to do today:

Walk dogs
    School fayre
    Gardening
    Run later (yeah, I don't think so)

Right, must WUDUPA.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

• bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 9th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Hello!

I'm hiding out in the den this aft trying to help dd make bracelets. We're not getting on too well...

Think we might go have some gardening time.

Have only tidied kitchen today, not much else can be done just now with flooring everywhere
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 20,132 Posts
    • 228,715 Thanks
    Valli
    Got my academic year diary and am updating it. Couldn't bring myself not to put my sister's birthday in. Frog munched anyhow.

Listening to Radio 2 and The Sound of The 70s. Used to never miss that, but lately its been harder, because that's the decade I was a teenager in.
    £5342.65
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 9th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 33,592 Thanks
    ionafan
    Good afternoon.

I slept for 8 hours last night, which rarely happens nowadays. I was absolutely shattered last night after doing the decking! I have scraped, wire-brushed, swept, hoovered, sanded and hoovered again. It is now ready for the wax finish. You have to put on two coats of the stuff, no more than a couple of hours apart so that the second coat bonds with the first. Hoping that we don't get any rain today!

Nice NDN came with his sander and helped me finish the job when our sander gave up the ghost under the strain. DH was almightily impressed when he got in! I also managed to clear a bit more of the borders while NDN was working.

I was out for my last Sunday on placement this morning, and we've been to a friend's 60th birthday lunch

Now off to clear the deck!
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 3:13 PM
    • 20,132 Posts
    • 228,715 Thanks
    Valli
    Excellent work Ionafan. You're excused MAD half hours this week!
    £5342.65
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 9th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 15,914 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    I'm here folks come through this torrid week with a smile on my face.

I love this thread so much and appreciate greatly all the effort that goes into running it, long may it continue.

Today I have two loads of washing pegged out, hoovered the LR and flung all the windows open. Will be back on if properly tomorrow, thanks for all of your support. The problem is still there, but professionals have been instructed to deal with it which has taken a load off my mind.

So pleased to see LW posting xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 9th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 18,837 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Afternoon ladies

Sneaking in shame-faced and utterly guilt-ridden for not posting. I did try to earlier, but I actually fell asleep mid typing and it timed out. I am so exhausted that I'm thinking of popping to the docs to see if everything is ok.

I too really appreciate the support in this thread and would be sad if it petered out, so I be making a concerted effort to be seen more.

I'm not flying at all today as yesterday's activities nearly did me in, so I'm sofa surfing with small people, having cuddles, tea and gently snoozing now and then.

Glad to hear the pressure has eased for you ATB. Keep your chin up hun x

Iona, you make me even more tired just reading about your days. I can't seem to get through even half what you do on a regular basis.

I'll be back later peeps
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 20,132 Posts
    • 228,715 Thanks
    Valli
    Dealing with a hoarder-style back of 'hidden gibble' - receipts mostly - stuffed into a carrier back a few weeks ago in a feeble attempt at 'tidying' - quite interesting, it is. This is a bad habit I lapsed into when my sis was so very ill and I just wasn't here much. It's a real struggle to keep going...
    £5342.65
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 9th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 57,006 Thanks
    Pollybear
    I've been here for years, lurking and reading along. I used to post but because I rarely follow the lists I felt bad about it so I reverted to lurking but I would hate to see the thread dwindle away so if nobody minds then I'll just post what I've done. I did follow the "instructions" in the early days until I got into the swing of it and it really helped.

So, not much done today as it's Sunday but I have done a load of washing which is all dry and put away. Went out with my daughter and granddaughter for a few hours to a garden centre and some shops. I haven't seen them for a week because she was poorly and had to stay away from DH who has a rubbish immune system but all good now.

And anybody who watched True Blood and/or Elementary, Nelsan Ellis is dead Only 39 too, so sad.

OK, time to start cooking.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 20,132 Posts
    • 228,715 Thanks
    Valli
    Hi Pollybear - nice to see you!

I write the lists - and don't always follow them. Sometimes the list I post is what I have done the previous day!
    £5342.65
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 9th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 34,698 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Boo!

Hope everyone is doing OK.

I'm up to my eyes in washing and ironing today. Just plodding on just a couple more loads to do. Really need to get back to doing the lists again but I'm finding it difficult.

For those who I haven't yet told I became a granny for the second time on Thursday. My little grandson was born at 1.13pm 9lb 4Oz and as if by magic my niece made an appearance at 5pm 5lb. Still wondering what happend 9 months ago that I missed.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • boddy
    • By boddy 9th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 68,537 Thanks
    boddy
    Hi everyone. Popped in as I saw a mention that it was becoming quiet here.

Hopefully we can get some more returners.

A bit of gardening and washing done here. Recovering from my day at the Durham Gala yesterday.

Now to catch up a bit on you all.
    Last edited by boddy; 09-07-2017 at 5:23 PM.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 9th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 34,497 Thanks
    Natty68
    I also would like to apologise for not posting much apart from the lists every fortnight. Even though I post them up for you guys I don't necessarily follow them at the moment. Also things have been up and down due to Dave's illness. Did I tell you he is on a chemo drug now? If he can tolerate it then they will gradually increase it for long term care. Hopefully this will finally get to the bottom of it.

I really must get off my derrier and post more often but I suppose I just want to withdraw after dealing with Dave and my weekly therapy. I feel awful because I've missed so many birthdays ect...

Hope you are all well...and I know I am one of those that doesnt want the list to close too.

Hugs xxxx

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 9th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I'm hopeless about following the lists, but I check daily. I'm also bad about posting. If I haven't a pad to hand (like Ionafan) I feel guilty about missing commenting on people's news, so often don't post.

Note to self - keep pad by computer

Last nights party was great. Amazingly we had the only dry day of the week. Cue BBQ. (Any excuse- it was only 17degrees!)

As usual I catered for the hordes - everyone went home with a doggy bag and Ive still got enough to feed DH and I for a week

Much beer and gin drunk by 3 excited colo-rectal surgeons (just passed exams). Thankfully I was taking guests to the station so when I got sick of it, I called time

All clearing up done last night. The house at least starts the week clean and tidy
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 9th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 36,106 Posts
    • 465,392 Thanks
    pigpen
    So.. the gist is.. noone follows the lists, we all read and lurk and do our own thing.. and we all have WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much going on in real life..

My saga..

not seen CF for 14 months when he said he would smash my skull in with a hammer.. I was 7 month pregnant.
    DD1 is having to move because her landlord is a chicken fillet.
    DD3 had her prom
    I missed going to my friends wedding due to said prom
    I hate sports day
    We are going to OH's mums in 2 weeks, if anyone fancies saving me for a few hours
    We have a hollibob booked for 5 weeks time.. I am DREADING it.. we've never been away together and last time I went (12 years ago) it was utterly horrific.
    DD3 has a 2 week resicential and the 2 girlies have a church summer club the last week of the holidays

This week I have dentist, parents evening, DD3's trip stuff to sort and a parent meeting for that, assemblies and all manner of other insanity.. oh and fracture clinic.. and 82 school runs and shopping and I might even pay a few bills.. I'm up to date on 2 bills again thanks to my solar panel cheque.

Valli.. I still have my nannas phone number in my contacts.. she died 12.5 years ago.. and my uncle who died 7 years ago.. it is so hard to let them go.. if I don't do those things it is like another part of them has gone and they are further away from my heart.. so you keep that sisters birthday in your diary!!

FFP.. no idea what was going on 9 months ago but I wasn't part of it

kitchen de-dirty-potted, table cleaned, plants dealt with.. front room, I filled a bag of rubbish and sorted the toy boxes, reshuffled some chairs and I have to clear the sofas before Wednesday wen we have Pixies school home visit..

Real life is SO inconvenient.. why does it take up so much time??!!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 9th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 15,914 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Dinner eaten, WM on again, DW on, feet up now.

Praying for an easier week than the last few have been. Final two weeks of school, DD has her transition week for year 1, it's going so quickly she's still only 4! (August baby).

See you all on the new thread xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 9,905 Posts
    • 106,471 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Another one here who regularly Flies off-liste. I do often start with the intention of following the lists, then something goes t*ts-up - usually my health - and it all goes to pot.

Just finished labelling up the sixth batch of jam we've made since 16th June; and a seventh is planned for midweek (assuming Cassie is picked up at midday on Wednesday, we shall visit the PYO Wednesday afternoon).

Frog list continues to grow exponentially.

I just totally lose track of time passing, and don't realise that I haven't posted for an age, thinking I posted last week, when it was actually last month.

Not sleeping doesn't help - is there such a thing as being too tired to sleep d'you think?

I will try to do better; it would be tragic if this thread faded away for lack of posters.

Ooh - and while I think of it, I think I have Mr LW's back sorted out; he had a really nasty callus, more like a corn, on the sole of his left foot, and it was making him walk awkwardly. Long story short, I attacked it with my battery operated foot-file thingy, so he's able to put his weight on the foot properly again, and a week later - no more back pain! We just have to keep the nasty corn thing wuzzed, and hopefully that will do the trick.

I did suggest he take advantage of the wrinklies' chiropody service to get to the bottom of why the nasty corn thingy has appeared, but he looked at me as though I'd suggested monkshood salad for tea, so obviously that idea ain't gonna fly!

Better go now - I'm using the pc (netbook is on some sort of work-to-rule or possibly all-out strike) and Mr LW wants to look at rubbish on t'internet so he's waiting for me to get off here.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I'm sorry not to have contributed recently. I will be posting daily from now on.

Without this thread I don't think I could have turned my life around, so I value it very highly. I've been very tardy lately simply because I've been so busy.

Love love love Flyladies.
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter