Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 2nd Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Trevstanx
    Avoiding Deprivation of Capital
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    Avoiding Deprivation of Capital 2nd Jul 17 at 9:06 PM
    Hi there I have a question.

When me and my partner made a claim for Income Support in January we had around £10,500 savings so they reduced our benefit by £18 per week (£1 per £250).

Is it feasible to spend that £18 they removed from our benefits from our savings? £18 x 23 weeks = £414... At the moment we have about £10,000 and spent approximately £400/500... (We bought a new sofa for £300)

If so how often do you ring Income Support to declare you have less savings? And do you have to prove what they were spent on? (Even if your taking out a extra x amount to top up what they are deducting?)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Trevstanx; 02-07-2017 at 9:24 PM.
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 2nd Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    venison
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    They will usually come back to you every year, if your savings have dropped below the limits then you MAY need to provide proof, or you could contact them, but they won't adjust your IS every time you spend £250.
    So my advice is keep receipts for any major purchases over the coming months.
    Doomed I say we're all doomed.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 2nd Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 2nd Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    Yes you can spend the £18. In fact you can spend more than £18 as long as you keep receipts and can prove the expenditure was reasonable. Replacing an old worn out sofa is reasonable as long as you replace it with something reasonably priced. Personally I'd also have taken pictures of the old worn sofa just to be safe.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 5th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    So they contact you automatically after a year regarding savings?

You say I can spent the £18 or more and keep the receipts what if it's spent on running of the house due to getting £18 less a week due to the savings?
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 7th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    Any one else know anything on this subject?
    • benidorm59
    • By benidorm59 7th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    benidorm59
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    usually as said they will request bank statements every twelve months, but if your capital drops because say of an emergency, boiler breaks and you have to replace so knocks your savings right down, then you can phone declare the change, send your statements and have your capital reduced, because if you wait for the year to end and send the statements they can and will just backdate if for a month So any big essential buys that cause a drop I'm capital, keep your receipts and report the change
    Last edited by benidorm59; 07-07-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 2nd Sep 17, 1:52 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    • 2nd Sep 17, 1:52 AM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 1:52 AM
    Hi all just bumping this thread as it relates.

Me and my partner got back pay off WTC of a tune of about £1200 due to being under paid from them up until we made a IS claim.

Since it is money that was owed to us and would have been spent when we received it do we have to declare it?

I remember when I got backdated PIP I had a year to spend it how I wished and didn't have to declare it I also think that was the same with Carers Allowance.

Where do I stand?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 2nd Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 21,166 Posts
    • 10,148 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 2nd Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    I send a letter with receipts.
    If it's spend on anything reasonable then it's fine.
    More difficult with small weekly amounts rather than one big item.
    Are there any items you can provide receipts for e.g. Spectacles, home repairs?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3,957 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I would advice contacting IS to let them know about the WTC backpay, if for no other reason than to ensure that you comply fully with their requirements. That's only potentially relevant if the payment has taken you above the £6k lower saving figure.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 2nd Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 10,751 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Hi all just bumping this thread as it relates.

Me and my partner got back pay off WTC of a tune of about £1200 due to being under paid from them up until we made a IS claim.

Since it is money that was owed to us and would have been spent when we received it do we have to declare it?

I remember when I got backdated PIP I had a year to spend it how I wished and didn't have to declare it I also think that was the same with Carers Allowance.

Where do I stand?
    Originally posted by Trevstanx
    Arrears of Benefits are disregarded for 52 weeks for Income Support.

See

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/626754/dmgch29.pdf

Last edited by pmlindyloo; 02-09-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 2nd Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    Arrears of Benefits are disregarded for 52 weeks for Income Support.

See

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/626754/dmgch29.pdf

Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Thanks

So I can spend it on whatever I like?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 2nd Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 10,751 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Thanks

So I can spend it on whatever I like?
    Originally posted by Trevstanx
    Sorry, gave the incorrect number - have edited it.

As long as you spend it within the 52 weeks there will not be a problem.

Th money should show as a payment from HMRC(?) on your bank statement so it should be easily proved that this was an overpayment to you. Make sure you keep the letter detailing the refund just in case it is queried.

If you want to be super cautious you can call the DWP to confirm and they will make a note of it on your file.
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 2nd Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    Sorry, gave the incorrect number - have edited it.

As long as you spend it within the 52 weeks there will not be a problem.

Th money should show as a payment from HMRC(?) on your bank statement so it should be easily proved that this was an overpayment to you. Make sure you keep the letter detailing the refund just in case it is queried.

If you want to be super caut!ious you can call the DWP to confirm and they will make a note of it on your file.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    It says Working Tax Credit on the bank statement, have yet to receive the letter from the HMRC but did get a annual review letter a few month back saying we would be entitled to it.

I guess like you said I am safe to spend it how I like and if anything crops up when/if (they may never find out/notice it?) they see it on my bank statements I'll show them the letter.
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 2nd Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Gambler101
    Wow an honest person who declares their savings, well done OP you are literally 1 in 100. You will go to heaven if it exists for sure!
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Sep 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    poppy12345
    ]Wow an honest person who declares their savings,[/B] well done OP you are literally 1 in 100. You will go to heaven if it exists for sure!
    by Gambler101;73070215[B
    We're not all benefit fraudsters!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    • 3,957 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Wow an honest person who declares their savings, well done OP you are literally 1 in 100. You will go to heaven if it exists for sure!
    Originally posted by Gambler101
    There are certainly those who don't declare everything, but my experience when working for DWP is that most people are honest. Just because people are in need of, or in receipt of, benefits doesn't mean they are all trying to con the system.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,408Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin