Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 2nd Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Retired at 55
    0 WOW
    United Airlines hand luggage
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    0 WOW
    United Airlines hand luggage 2nd Jul 17 at 9:02 PM
    I have looked on line and I am not too sure about the hand luggage. United Airlines Basic Economy allow one personal item only in the cabin and one case in the hold. It says these seats cannot be booked.

Economy tickets seem to allow a cabin bag and a personal item as hand luggage as well as 20 kg in the hold. These seats can be booked.

Our travel agent has quoted for booked seats (Economy L) so that makes me think it must allow for more than just one personal item in the cabin. I asked the travel agent and he was not sure - did not seem to know about the difference between economy and basic economy.

If anyone who has travelled with United recently knows would you please let me know? It would be expensive to have to pay for an extra (small size) cabin bag to go in the hold. Would I be right to think that, if seats were being quoted as reserved, they must be more than the basic economy ones?

Thanks for any answers.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 02-07-2017 at 9:49 PM.
Page 2
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 15th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    AN UPDATE - Tickets booked now as United Airlines Economy. One checked bag at 23 kg is allowed 62 linear inches in the hold and one cabin bag at 45 linear inches. I am not sure about the cabin bag weight as I cannot find it. I think I remember the Travel Agent saying 7 kg. Also allowed one Personal item to equal 36 linear inches.

We were to fly from Glasgow but have been advised it is now Edinburgh to Newark.

Thank you all again for your interest, replies and very helpful information. If anyone knows if the cabin bag weight is 7 kg please let me know as I can only see the size as 36 linear inches.

Many thanks.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 15-07-2017 at 6:42 PM.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 18,204 Posts
    • 41,637 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I don't think there is a weight limit for hand luggage, they certainly weren't weighing them when we flew at the end of May, lots of people had cases large enough for days worth of clothes. The only people we saw getting stopped were those trying to board with two large bags, they were just asked to consolidate them.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 15th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    United carry on size is 56cm x 35cm x 22cm and personal item 43 x 25 x 22. The overall dimensions are as you stated but they don't measure cabin items in linear inches because they have to be able to fit in the bag sizer. No weight limit.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx?Mobile=1
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 16th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    Thanks very much peachyprice and leylandsunaddict. The helpful link is also really appreciated.

Retired at 55
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,238Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin