PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it worth doing work to a house you plan to sell?

Comments

• trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Make it clean, tidy, and clutter-free.

Old kitchens have never put me off, but a living room where I couldn't see the walls for pictures of elephants and there was dirty washing piled up in the bath certainly did... True story.

I would far rather buy a house with an elderly kitchen than one where the kitchen was brand new but not to my taste.

And first impressions count, so go and stand on the pavement outside your house and have a think if there's anything quick and cheap that you can do to improve your kerb appeal - sweep the path, cut back the bushes, even give the front door a good wash.

Save your money for your new home.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Here's what I'd do:

1.Wash down the gloss paintwork - does it still need re-painting ?
    2.Add a quick coat to emulsioned walls/ceiling if they need refreshing.
    3.Clean the carpets, especially downstairs - the initial impression is important. Might be worth getting someone in for this, I find it hard work.
    4.Kerb appeal - tidy front garden, hide bins, power wash a paved drive, freshly painted front door and decent knocker, letterbox etc.
    5.Back garden - powerwash patio or decking, mend fences, tidy flower beds and lawn, hide bins, get rid of old garden furniture etc.

Not so much spending a lot of money, more a matter of spending a fair bit of time & elbow grease.

Good luck !
  • Thanks everyone for your thoughts/advice. Some really good ideas. Sounds like it's worth doing some basics like declutter, paint tired paintwork, do any small repairs, maybe some fresh bed linen and aim to make it look clean, spacious and well cared for (outside as well as in) but anything more could be pointless.

I'll see what result we can get with these things, and will report back next year!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ACG wrote: »
    I bought a house for £86k, spent £11k on it and sold it for £155k. I actually bought the house to live in but it shows what you can do.

First thing to work out is if you really do need to spend £5k? You are buying a kitchen to sell the house, that usually means white gloss doors from a local kitchen shop rather than top quality. Decorating, try wallpaper shops rather than B&Q for example.

Get it looking smart on a budget.

Once you have it priced up, will the cost increase the value by the same amount or more?

If so, is it worth it to you?

Then you have your answer.

The work you did probably wasn`t a big a driver of the profit you made, more likely a market fuelled by cheap credit and irrational sentiment, the DIY before sale approach is not really going to work so well in this market?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think it depends a bit on the price of the house, who your target buyers are, and how tired / scruffy the place looks.

If the decor is really tired or scruffy then it does make the whole place look uncared for, and as a potential buyer I would be wary as to whether that meant that maintenance had also been neglected, so a lick of paint can make the place look much better cared for at relatively low cost. (It also allows you to make it more neutral so people can more easily imagine their own style)

I would not put in a new kitchen as tastes vary such a lot. When I was viewing houses last, I did look at a few where 'recently re-fitted kitchen' was listed as a selling point, and the price reflected this, and with almost all of them my reaction was 'the kitchen is horrible and I'll need to budget to re-do it when I move in', and with the ones where I liked the kitchen, it was 'it's nice, but not nice enough to justify the price difference'

Which of course is a personal reaction but I think you're as likely to have that reaction as a 'great, gorgeous kitchen' one from people, so you'd probably be better leaving it as is.

Carpets I would hire a carpet cleaner but unless they are really dated or in very poor condition wouldn't replace them.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2017 at 10:57PM
    Old kitchens have never put me off, but a living room where I couldn't see the walls for pictures of elephants and there was dirty washing piled up in the bath certainly did... True story.

Dirty washing in the bath makes me wonder whether there is a problem with the washing machine plumbing. Seriously its not hard to put stuff in a washing basket or in the machine itself.

Also something I noticed when viewing properties, you might not think your pets smell but some of them really do stink. Make sure you oust the rooms, air them every single day by opening windows, steam clean hard floors, hoover with a pet hoover, then shampoo carpets, clean your upholestery it holds onto the smell, and put the dog out, then use a plug in air freshner on constant to stop the smell coming back. If you have a cat empty the litter tray, bleach it, put new litter in and then coat it in the litter freshner spray.
  • I'd definitely do the basics as others have recommended, but so long as the bathroom and kitchen are functional I probably wouldn't bother.
    we bought a flat that needed a new kitchen and bathroom (no oven in kitchen, strange set up in bathroom) and have saved up and done these and as soon as possible, we hope to sell next year and to have made money as feel the work involved in the property probably put people off. However the disruption of getting a new bathroom/kitchen in is not to underestimated. Unless they are not functional I would leave them and allow a new buyer to put their own stamp not the place.
    May be worth getting a few local EA around to give you some ideas? We have three around for quote after having done the bathroom, as I didn't want to do the kitchen (felt it would be wasted money) but my husband did. All three recommended we invest in getting kitchen done as said the lack of functionality would put buyers off.
  • Ramona123
    Ramona123 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Only if you are going to add more value to the house and not make a loss. If the house does need a bit of work on it to make it "sellable" then make sure that you at least break even and get your outlay back in the asking price for the house.

So, get the house how you want it and then sell the benefits to the potential buyer (try and keep the house as neutral as possible, white walls not terracotta!). A house is like a piece of art. People will pay whatever it takes to get it, if they like it. But, don't hold out for a Million :-)
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ramona123 wrote: »
    Only if you are going to add more value to the house and not make a loss. If the house does need a bit of work on it to make it "sellable" then make sure that you at least break even and get your outlay back in the asking price for the house.

So, get the house how you want it and then sell the benefits to the potential buyer (try and keep the house as neutral as possible, white walls not terracotta!). A house is like a piece of art. People will pay whatever it takes to get it, if they like it. But, don't hold out for a Million :-)

It isn`t, and they won`t, they will pay what their banks valuation tells them to pay, and borrow what the prevailing sentiment dictates is sensible. The days of buying a "cash machine" are long gone, and that was the main driver for many people borrowing beyond sensible levels IMO. Sensible sellers now are just tidying up and getting the thing on the market at a lower price than the kite flyers in their area, before some real economic shocks turn up.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    The work you did probably wasn`t a big a driver of the profit you made, more likely a market fuelled by cheap credit and irrational sentiment, the DIY before sale approach is not really going to work so well in this market?
    What market is that? I think its a pretty decent at the minute, June was almost the best month I have had since setting up in 2013. July is going to blitz my best month ever, even if I stopped work tomorrow, it would be a good month.

But I disagree with your comments. You did not see the state of the house, the kitchen was older than me (32), the bathroom was avocado etc etc.

There is no standard right or wrong answer to the question, it all depends on the finer details. When I had an agent come round, I told them I was going to get the garden improved and he said for the value of the house it is not worth it. Basically, people expected a garden for the price. They did not expect it landscaped.

Had I not done the house up, it would have got around £20-30k less than it actually did. It would have also taken longer to sell no doubt and it would likely have been a developer who would have tried to knock me right down to improve their profit margins.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure