Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fusspot
    • By Fusspot 2nd Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 253Posts
    • 282Thanks
    Fusspot
    What colour bedding do you have and how much?
    • 2nd Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    What colour bedding do you have and how much? 2nd Jul 17 at 8:46 PM
    Do you have lots of different duvet covers in fancy patterns or just plain?

I had a white duvet cover which was really cosy from M&S, gave it away when I saw a heavily patterned purple one with butterflies but, although I love purple and its my favourite colour, I think the white was fresher and I think having just one or two sets in plain colours is more money saving.
Page 3
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 10th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I don't get it. If cats/pets go on beds and you avoid white bedding because it would need changing every day...... Just because you can't see the filth on dark bedding, doesn't mean it's not there.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 10th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    gonebust
    I don't get it. If cats/pets go on beds and you avoid white bedding because it would need changing every day...... Just because you can't see the filth on dark bedding, doesn't mean it's not there.
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    It's like a pair of jeans

With jeans you will wear a few times because much doesn't really show. You brush them off and wear them on

Get a cat ( like mine did this morning ) who's dug a flower bed before jumping up on white/cream/light bedding and even though you brush it off, you can see paw prints. On dark bedding, the paw prints aren't noticed

End of the day, those of us who allow pets on beds, no matter what we say, aren't exactly house proud

Right now I'm watching the rabbit and the cat chase each other about the living room. And the rabbit isn't litter tray trained
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 11th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 15,352 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Not tea and pink!
    .... Should have read teal.

As ror the cats, its a case of with patterened bedding you can just get away with it going straight in the wash. I know if my bedding was lighter or white, then It would be constantly in the washing machine. I've had oil brought in onto my bedding before now, when it was relatively new still
    GC 2017 (£4,000 (£2150.55)) Jan £346.72 Feb £241.99 Mar £280.29 Apr £196.58 (app.) May £232.77 Jun £191.14 Jul £280.45 Aug £362.70 Sep £258.16 Oct + Smart Pass £1.99 x 9 = £17.91

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 9,767 Posts
    • 105,193 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I have three sets of bedding, each consisting of a duvet cover, a fitted sheet and two pillowcases. We also have a second pillow each, and the underneath ones have cheapie cases from @ldi which don't match the sets, but who cares - they're underneath..
    • Pale green, with a sort of "patchwork" pattern on the fabric of the duvet cover and plain green pillowcases, that we bought when I first moved in with Mr LW back in 2002(the fitted sheet wore out, so we use a plain green sheet that we had kicking about at present and I do "hospital corners" on it.)
    • Dark green with a black-and-white Celtic design, bought from Skye Batiks when we visited the Isle of Skye in 2007 - this one has a pale green fitted sheet that we use with it.
    • Pale blue set with Chinese-style embroidered flowers, bought in the JL sale about three years ago - this has a lilac fitted sheet used with it that originally went with another set we bought in 2002 that wore out.
    As a dog-sitter, I occasionally have canine guests whose owners allow them to sleep on the bed, and so we also allow it, as we try to replicate what they do at home as much as possible; if this is the case, I don't use the pale blue set whilst they are here, as there is a small risk of claws getting caught in the embroidery.

YL that is awful, that some pondlife would steal your bedlinen.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 3,691 Thanks
    YorksLass
    YL that is awful, that some pondlife would steal your bedlinen.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Yep, one of the drawbacks of living in a block of flats, I'm afraid. The yard where we dry washing is fenced off but open to anyone as there's no gate (down to H&S rules, classed as an emergency exit in case of fire). And it's on the opposite side of the block to our property so I can't even see it from my windows.

I could almost feel sorry for them if they're so desperate but still puzzled as to why they would take just one of the sheets and not the pair. Oh well, what goes around comes around so maybe one day......
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Oct GC: £200 - £72.51 = £127.49 /8/35 NSDs
    Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• elf06
    • By elf06 11th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    elf06
    I have 3 'sets' of bedding. Each 'set' has a duvet cover and 2 pillow cases then I have 2 fitted sheets and 2 other pillow case covers so everything sort of matches. The sets are all in purple type colours and the sheets and pillow cases are purple too so they go with whatever set is on the bed.
    I have one set I don't use much as it has lovely little sequins on it which scratch your face if you forget to turn them over before going to sleep haha!
    One of the other sets is from Mr T and is over 10 years old and the most recent addition was only bought at Xmas time from Primarni (I treated myself as my 3rd set had been eaten by our rats!!).

Have to laugh at the washing stealing.....its pathetic isnt it. I live in a flat too and recently someone stole my washing line pole!!
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Jul 17, 11:24 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 19,037 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    We have 3 sets, 1 x turqoise high quality cotton one from Ikea, and the other 2 in a teddy fleece both deep purple from Dunelm not ness, quality but very cosy. They get changed weekly.

As others have mentioned we also have pets, that moult twice a year for 6 months of the year... as part of the family they sleep where they want.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Jul 17, 6:19 AM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 15,586 Thanks
    csarina2
    Three sets for our king size bed and two sets for the day bed in my sewing room.

Two of the king size sets are white Egyptian cotton each with eight pillow cases, we read in bed so have four pillows each, we chuck two each out when settling down to sleep. The third set is one I bought twenty seven years ago, a Dorma set of country diary so pretty, the duvet cover is getting a bit thin on the top edge, but the rest is in good condition.

We have a churn dash quilt I made on the bed as well.
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 12th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    Teacher2
    I used to buy duvet covers from Laura Ashley (in their sales) to match the curtains but the quality has deteriorated over time so the one we bought thirty years ago is still going strong while the others have worn through.

I have replaced each patterned duvet which has 'died' with white bedding but, because they are not so durable, I have to iron them to make them look fabulous on the bed.

However, I have discoved white seersucker looks great and does NOT need ironing. Result!
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 12th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 568 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    juliettet
    Totally agree with the Laura Ashley, Teacher 2. My old sets have taken over the newer ones for durability. I have never paid full price but now too go for white everything. The White company have good sales and wash very well. I have two cats who sometimes sleep on the bed. I put fleeces on to only have them moved so they could lie on the cool cotton! Oh well it is true that another poster said that they need washed anyway so whatever.
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 12th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    NelliePie
    I cant remember where I read it but I did read a study saying that people get the best nights sleep on plain (-ish) white bedding - which is why most (all) hotels have some variation of white sheets. I don't know whether its true or its a pseudo effect but since switching from funky bright coloured patterns to simple white sheets a few years ago my partner and I have noticed an improvement and wouldn't go back. Our current ones are Egyptian cotton from Argos and have the weave going different ways so it looks stripey.
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 16,842 Posts
    • 100,581 Thanks
    maman
    I have replaced each patterned duvet which has 'died' with white bedding but, because they are not so durable, I have to iron them to make them look fabulous on the bed.

However, I have discoved white seersucker looks great and does NOT need ironing. Result!
    Originally posted by Teacher2

I too have white or very neutral bedding. I find it restful.

I don't iron any of it except for my guest room.

Where have you bought the white seersucker?

P.S. Agree about Laura Ashley. I think it's gone down hill generally and I only ever buy a few bits in the sale these days like wallpaper.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 12th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Two main sets for the double: White Company's blue striped one (bought when they had a percentage off offer) and a duck egg blue print set from Debenhams (in the sale).

The guest room has a tuck-under bed and can therefore be made up as a single or twin (or a double by pushing two beds together). I have one pair of white single sets for two guests at once and various colour print duvet covers for single guests or if guests don't want white. The coloured singles are fairly old, but still in excellent condition and it means I can keep the whites washed together as a matching set.

Also have an old but rarely used navy set for the sofa bed.

There are fairly new white towels for everyone, but old coloured towels available for scruffy activities - my white ones are staying that way!

All the linens are in folding crates from Wilko, on shelves in the airing cupboard. Haven't had an airing cupboard before, so this is luxury for me.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 12th Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 7,081 Thanks
    Doveling
    Our valance, fitted bottom sheet and pillowcases are always white.

I bought two very large pairs of floral Laura Ashley curtains off fleabay. (Lined, interlined and weighted, billy bargains!)

Put one set up at the windows, then from the other pair made a bedrunner and two Oxford type pillow cases and two small cushion covers. We have three plain bedding sets with pillowcases but they are blue, lilac and cream which pick out the colours on the curtains.

I can ring the changes this way.

Mr D. complains that by the time he takes all the "fancies" off the bed it is nearly time to get up again
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,791 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I have a superkingsize duvet as I find it sits better on a double bed without falling off at night and duvet covers for these can be expensive so I buy good quality ones when I see them on sale.

I have a V&A blue flowers set which I got reduced from £70 to £25, a purple/beige stag jersey cotton set which I bought on groupon for £20 & recently purchased a new red & beige tartan one from John Lewis reduced from £70 to £20.

As a rule, I don't like plain colours or white bedding, they show creases & marks too easily but then I'm one of those people who thinks that life is too short to iron bedding, especially when hanging it out to dry straight away gets rid of most creases in my experience. Good quality heavyweight cottons require less ironing than cheap bedding & last longer.

I think, with bedding, you get what you pay for. Asda bedding is the worst! It's cheap, scratchy, lasts about 3 washes and feels horrible. John Lewis, M&S and some luxury brands from TK Maxx are the ones that have lasted me the longest. The one I bought on Groupon was probably the worst quality one I've bought in a while but jersey bedding in superkingsize is hard to find so I thought I'd try it. Wouldn't buy it again, it faded & bobbled too quickly.

My small-ish bedroom is entirely painted brilliant white as its a low ceiling room built into the roof of our tenement with velux windows to make the most of the light & make the room feel bigger. Colourful bedding gives the room its only colour.
    Last edited by kboss2010; 15-07-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 15th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 2,134 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I've got to much bedding, some is still in the cellophane it came in. I was going to take some to the charity shop and some older stuff to the dogs home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,980Users online

Martin's Twitter