Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 2nd Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 7,245Posts
    • 13,268Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Neighbourhood kids swearing and behavior annoying us
    • 2nd Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    Neighbourhood kids swearing and behavior annoying us 2nd Jul 17 at 4:21 PM
    Please move to the right thread if needed

I live near two families living in social housing in the street behind (their gardens have gates that go onto a residents car park, where I park my car) where the kids play on the play area in the middle of my road.

They always stare at any of us that walk down the road and swear at us. Or if we are driving, they purposely block the road by standing or sitting on their bikes and swear at us.
    The kids vary from 7-14 and they all scream.

No point in talking to their parents as they deny any of it. The mothers in the past have falsely accused the residents of things we haven't done. Then one of the residents said he saw one of these boys urinating against their neighbour's car!

We do only know their first names and an idea which houses they come from. Who do we report their behaviour to? The police are not bothered. Myself and a few residents want to report them anonymously.

If you remove these children, then the road will be a better place.
Page 2
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 4th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Guest101
    I don't think its a case of being scared of the kids as much as knowing there is not much you can do.
    I lived next door to a young woman for 4 years and our life was hell. She had a daughter who was rude and unruly and anytime we approaches her the mum she would literally scream 'I'm a single mum and I know my rights'. It was like a mantra, we heard it over and over again. - Ok. But she probably didn't.

She liked a drink and any time the weather was reasonable she would have her family round standing on both our front lawns with their cans. Of course none of them worked so it didn't matter if it was a weekday or weekend. - You could've put up a fence. Ultimately got an injunction to keep them off your property

Her nephew would stare through our front window actually pressing his nose on the glass and eventually we had to resort to closing our curtains in the afternoon. - Or call the police? The kids would sit on our car bonnet literally laughing at us. - So take her to court. then they would bounce and kick footballs against the windows or the car. It was a flaming nightmare all down to a family who could not give a damn about their childrens behaviour and even seemed to find it funny. - Ultimately there's plenty of options to deal with it. Unfortunately people tend to not use them

I rang the police on a couple of occasions , once when the kids decided to stand on the roof of the car and another time when they were shaking cans before opening them and spraying ours and a neighbours car. All the response I got was that they would send a community pc to have a word but no one ever came. - Exactly, but did you ever follow it up, make a complaint. go to the media?

We put up with it week in, week out and on the one occasion I did snap I grabbed the football and brought it into our house. When they knocked for it I went to the door with the ball and a pair of scissors, let them see me pierce the ball and threw it back to them. Less than 15 minutes later I had a visit from the police saying there had been a complaint about criminal damage! - Well that is criminal damage. Why did you do that?

I was advise to buy a ne ball for them and take it round as a peace offering.
    Originally posted by swingaloo

Lucky you weren't charged really.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 4th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    keith969
    We put up with it week in, week out and on the one occasion I did snap I grabbed the football and brought it into our house. When they knocked for it I went to the door with the ball and a pair of scissors, let them see me pierce the ball and threw it back to them. Less than 15 minutes later I had a visit from the police saying there had been a complaint about criminal damage!
    And a woman who did the same was murdered by some feral kid's parents not so long ago:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/05/woman-beaten-to-death-by-neighbour-in-row-over-burst-football-6617018/

Trying to 'engage' with these sort of people is a waste of time.
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 4th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    I lived in a similar road once. I went from a secluded cottage in the woods to a housing estate. There were kids like this there. We lived on a corner so the kids had been playing on the front lawn and using it to cut the corner. From what I could gather, they had been pestering the previous tenant.
    One day they would not stop knocking on the door. They all had these ominous balls of mud they had made, and nothing better to do than knock on my door. After a long while, I answered it. They told me the last woman who lived there was a 'witch and a pedo' [Im sure she wasnt!] so I just mmm-ed and ohh-ed and went along with it not really saying anything. They asked a load of questions, to which I gave VERY boring/generic/normal answers, and eventually they got bored and went away...after that, they didnt pester us particularly. I think they were just nosy. And they were intimidating, not as 'children' exactly, but as members of a wider group - because they all knew each other, the parents knew each other, there was no way, as a new tenant, you'd get away with doing ANYTHING confrontational without basically the whole street coming down on you.
    I only lasted 10 months at that house and will never live on a housing estate ever again.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 4th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    The problem with some kids ( and some adults ) is that they can't be reasoned with ; and even the certainty of a long jail sentence, doesn't discourage them.
    If you find yourself in a risky conflict situation ; you only know it is going bad, when it is too late.
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 5th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,733 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    swingaloo
    Oh Guest, I love how you sit there pontificating and giving your words of 'wisdom' always in red for impact!

I don't usually bother to respond but today I don't have much else to do.
    So

Ok but she probably didn't

That's as maybe but the point is that she thought she did and it just made her more belligerent. You cannot reason with people like that.

You could have put up a fence

I like this one !
    We were in a cul de sac with open plan gardens and a parking place in front of each house. Fences were not allowed and even if we had been able to erect a fence around the lawn it would have made no difference to them sitting on the car etc.

Ultimately got an injunction to keep them off your property

Its an idea but it would have been useless! I'm sure it wouldn't have helped if they decided to come round at 3am and slash my tyres.

'Or call the police' I did.
    'So take her to court' Again, not going to help if they decide to put my windows through.

]Ultimately theres plenty of options]

Well I no longer have to put up with the feral family but I'm sure other posters with the same problems would be delighted to hear of any suggestions you may have as long as they don't inflame the situation or cause retaliation.

Did you ever follow it up, make a complaint

Yes I did, I rang and complained and then I spoke to one of the community police when I saw them out in the village. the answers 'We cant be everywhere'.
    Of course I could have gone to the media but how that would help me I don't know.

Well thats criminal damage, why did you do that, lucky you weren't charged

Yes its criminal damage just as damaging my car is.
    The reason I did it- Because I had had enough and if I could have caught the little s--- I would have probably committed another crime.
    the policeman who came said 'Well I wouldn't recommend you do it again but I can fully understand. This particular family come to our attention repeatedly'.

Lots of people live in situations similar to the one I was in. You cannot reason with some people and going out politely saying 'would you please not stand on my lawn or my car' whilst the adults were egging them on would be very unlikely to get positive results.

Quite how you think getting an injunction, then taking then to court when its ignored helps on a day when its hell to be in your own home.
    So I take out an injunction against my neighbour, she ignores it, we go to court as she has ignored the injunction and they slap her with a couple of weeks in jail or a fine she cant pay because she is on benefits. Meanwhile her sister an her feral kids decide to take revenge.
    Yes, really useful advice!
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    If its social housing, the tenancy agreement will include a section requiring them to act responsibly and not cause alarm or distress to neighbours. Approach the landlord ( the council or housing associated whichever it is) and tell them what happened. Its a serious issue. The occupants could be risking their tenancy if they don't stop. I agree with the other posters. Keep a log of incidents along with a description of the offenders. Don't get into arguments and take care re filming kids etc! It could be the parents don't realise just how, bad the kids are.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 5th Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Guest101
    Oh Guest, I love how you sit there pontificating and giving your words of 'wisdom' always in red for impact! - Red just contrasts well, if you prefer I can use a different colour

I don't usually bother to respond but today I don't have much else to do.
    So

Ok but she probably didn't

That's as maybe but the point is that she thought she did and it just made her more belligerent. You cannot reason with people like that. - As I said further on, nor would you have to.

You could have put up a fence

I like this one !
    We were in a cul de sac with open plan gardens and a parking place in front of each house. Fences were not allowed and even if we had been able to erect a fence around the lawn it would have made no difference to them sitting on the car etc. - Covenants aren't enforced once all the properties are sold, so the 'not allowed' would be unlikely. The car could be parked elsewhere? Obviously not every solution works in every situation

Ultimately got an injunction to keep them off your property

Its an idea but it would have been useless! I'm sure it wouldn't have helped if they decided to come round at 3am and slash my tyres. - It would actually as you could take her to court and she would face prison then, not for criminal damage, but for contempt of court.

'Or call the police' I did. - But you possibly didn't explain the situation as you should have. Ie there's a group of drunks damaging my car, vs there's a party next door and some of them have sat on my car.
    'So take her to court' Again, not going to help if they decide to put my windows through. - Probably not, but if you aren't going to stand up to them, nor involve the law. then what do you expect to happen?

]Ultimately theres plenty of options]

Well I no longer have to put up with the feral family but I'm sure other posters with the same problems would be delighted to hear of any suggestions you may have as long as they don't inflame the situation or cause retaliation. - OK, uhm pay them to be nice to you? Some people are stupid and nasty, you can either engage with them, or you can ask the law to intervene.

Did you ever follow it up, make a complaint

Yes I did, I rang and complained and then I spoke to one of the community police when I saw them out in the village. the answers 'We cant be everywhere'. - Sorry I should've been clearer. Complained in writing, officially. Not a moan on the street.
    Of course I could have gone to the media but how that would help me I don't know. - Because the police would be spurned into action.

Well thats criminal damage, why did you do that, lucky you weren't charged

Yes its criminal damage just as damaging my car is. - indeed, but they reported it in a manner that meant the police responded.
    The reason I did it- Because I had had enough and if I could have caught the little s--- I would have probably committed another crime. - so you condone violence by an adult against a child? But you wont stand up to another adult?
    the policeman who came said 'Well I wouldn't recommend you do it again but I can fully understand. This particular family come to our attention repeatedly'. - So the correct response would be, "so what are you going to do about it?"

Lots of people live in situations similar to the one I was in. You cannot reason with some people and going out politely saying 'would you please not stand on my lawn or my car' whilst the adults were egging them on would be very unlikely to get positive results. - You'd be surprised how some people react if you speak to them like humans. Now that doesn't apply to everyone, but a good policy is to be confident and positive.

Quite how you think getting an injunction, then taking then to court when its ignored helps on a day when its hell to be in your own home. - Because you get to mess up their lives legally. But apply for costs repaid via their benefits. But having them committed to prison. all whilst holding the moral high ground.
    So I take out an injunction against my neighbour, she ignores it, we go to court as she has ignored the injunction and they slap her with a couple of weeks in jail or a fine she cant pay because she is on benefits. Meanwhile her sister an her feral kids decide to take revenge. - possibly. But you just keep playing the game
    Yes, really useful advice!

I'm unclear what other advice you'd like. A telephone number for a gun dealer, a truck and a shovel?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 5th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Guest101
    If its social housing, the tenancy agreement will include a section requiring them to act responsibly and not cause alarm or distress to neighbours. Approach the landlord ( the council or housing associated whichever it is) and tell them what happened. Its a serious issue. The occupants could be risking their tenancy if they don't stop. I agree with the other posters. Keep a log of incidents along with a description of the offenders. Don't get into arguments and take care re filming kids etc! It could be the parents don't realise just how, bad the kids are.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    There is no law preventing taking footage of anyone, adult or child.
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 6th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Teapot55
    Please move to the right thread if needed

I live near two families living in social housing in the street behind (their gardens have gates that go onto a residents car park, where I park my car) where the kids play on the play area in the middle of my road.

They always stare at any of us that walk down the road and swear at us. Or if we are driving, they purposely block the road by standing or sitting on their bikes and swear at us.
    The kids vary from 7-14 and they all scream.

No point in talking to their parents as they deny any of it. The mothers in the past have falsely accused the residents of things we haven't done. Then one of the residents said he saw one of these boys urinating against their neighbour's car!

We do only know their first names and an idea which houses they come from. Who do we report their behaviour to? The police are not bothered. Myself and a few residents want to report them anonymously.

If you remove these children, then the road will be a better place.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    A couple of questions about the physical environment where you live:
    1. What's at the front of their houses - if they were to go out of their front doors instead of their back-garden gates?
    2. Is the bit they play in that is near your car a designated play-area or just free space in the residents' car park?
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 12th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Teapot55
    A couple of questions about the physical environment where you live:
    1. What's at the front of their houses - if they were to go out of their front doors instead of their back-garden gates?
    2. Is the bit they play in that is near your car a designated play-area or just free space in the residents' car park?
    Originally posted by Teapot55

How are things, Scarlet Marble?

• Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 12th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 2,778 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Also keep a dairy of events - date, times and what has happened.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    I was cheesed off when they mooved their bikes so I couldn't get past?
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 12th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 2,778 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    The police take swearing seriously when it's used against them, so they should when a member of the public is suffering it.

I feel very sorry for you, being treated this way. The police and council should take your and your neighbours' complaints seriously.

Hope you can get this sorted, especially with the school hols coming up.

The most revolting thing anyone has ever said to me was said by a feral kid on his bike - can only have been seven at the most. Why are these kids allowed to think they can behave like that to adults minding their own business?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Guest101
    The police take swearing seriously when it's used against them, so they should when a member of the public is suffering it. - no they don't. at best it's a s.5 public order offence, which requires the constable to issue a warning not to use that language again.

I feel very sorry for you, being treated this way. The police and council should take your and your neighbours' complaints seriously.

Hope you can get this sorted, especially with the school hols coming up.

The most revolting thing anyone has ever said to me was said by a feral kid on his bike - can only have been seven at the most. Why are these kids allowed to think they can behave like that to adults minding their own business?
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99
    because of a lack of stability and education most likely.
    • FredG
    • By FredG 12th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    FredG
    I guess that was my initial point. It's quite sad really that adults are afraid of children.
    Originally posted by Guest101

I think it's dependent on the individual and the group of kids. I'm a pretty big guy, trained numerous martial arts for a number of years and grew up on a pretty rough estate, am I going to say to someone who may be the polar opposite of me that unequivocally NO adult should be scare of ANY child?

Mike Tyson was 220lbs at 15. I'd be scared of that kid now.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 12th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    We are having the same problem – I think it’s because kids know they are untouchable and their parents will back them regardless.

Currently the kids on our really lovely little estate have a little game going on. They have taken to barricading or blocking roads with bins or bikes and hiding - throwing stones, mud or rubbish when unsuspecting people get out of their cars to move the bikes – then leg it screaming insults and obscenities.

When one guy recognised one of the gang and went to speak (quite civilly) to its mother the kids on mass accused the dude of assaulting one of the lads. Police were involved, as the mother was rabidly pushing the poor guy be charged. He was really worried he was going to end up in real trouble, lose your job kind of trouble.

Luckily for him he had a dash cam – though the mother is still yelling all over facebook that her precious baby wouldn’t lie and the man had no right to accuse him. Now all the kids are throwing poop at his door and his car has been damaged on a number of occasions.

This is where things have changed – my mother would have killed me stone dead if I brought someone to our door.
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 12-07-2017 at 8:12 PM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    badmemory
    We should all know what "sins" our children are likely to commit. My son's were mostly errors of omission not commission. As for me, just about anything to keep me off my parents radar. I am still grateful to Mr Lowe my junior 3 teacher who gave me the strap (deserved in that era) and did not tell my father a teacher at the same school.

But these children are children not adults & we (as parents) are there to teach them right from wrong & that if you do something wrong there are (or should be) consequences. I wonder if the parents letting them behave like this will blame the "system" when their little darling lands up in jail.
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 13th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Teapot55
    We are having the same problem . . . the kids en masse accused the dude of assaulting one of the lads. Police were involved, as the mother was rabidly pushing the poor guy be charged. He was really worried he was going to end up in real trouble, lose your job kind of trouble.
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    My late mother-in-law was so well-regarded by people in her area that they had to open the balcony in the parish church to accommodate everyone that turned up for her funeral, and a lot of them were young parents with their children . . . BUT only a few short years earlier, when she was about eighty years old, she had been informally warned by the local police officer NOT to offer the conkers she had picked up in the park to children passing her house. (The parents really had called the police).

Keep a good six foot back from other people's children nowadays and never, ever be in a situation where you are alone with a young person under eighteen . . .

• Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 2:46 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Guest101
    My late mother-in-law was so well-regarded by people in her area that they had to open the balcony in the parish church to accommodate everyone that turned up for her funeral, and a lot of them were young parents with their children . . . BUT only a few short years earlier, when she was about eighty years old, she had been informally warned by the local police officer NOT to offer the conkers she had picked up in the park to children passing her house. (The parents really had called the police).

Keep a good six foot back from other people's children nowadays and never, ever be in a situation where you are alone with a young person under eighteen . . .

You realise the police had no legal authority to request her to cooperate? and that there is no law regarding contact with children in such a manner?
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 13th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Teapot55
    You realise the police had no legal authority to request her to cooperate? and that there is no law regarding contact with children in such a manner?
    Originally posted by Guest101
    I would rather be safe than sorry, all the same!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,761 Thanks
    Guest101
    I would rather be safe than sorry, all the same!
    You can be whatever you like. im simply stating a fact
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,708Posts Today

7,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin