Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 2nd Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    • 7,594Posts
    • 5,391Thanks
    esuhl
    0 WOW
    Simple, quality, reliable washing machine?
    • 2nd Jul 17, 1:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Simple, quality, reliable washing machine? 2nd Jul 17 at 1:15 AM
    I'm looking for a washing machine, but I don't know where to begin!

I want one that is reasonably well-made, but fairly basic. I only ever use the "quick wash", so I don't need digital displays, hundreds of programs or anything fancy (expensive!). The less there is to go wrong, the better!

Is there any reason not to get the cheapest I can find? I've seen Daewoo, Indesit and Beko machines for about £150. Or would that be a false economy when I can afford something better?

The only things I really care about is that it washes clothes and doesn't break down.

It'd be a bonus if it was big enough to wash a winter duvet, or it had a "handwash" cycle. But not if it's going to cost a lot more.

Any tips? (Thanks in advance!)
Page 1
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 2nd Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 2nd Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    There's an old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice' - and it seems to apply to washing machines more than any other kitchen appliance I've bought over the years! I bought the lowest-priced model in the Miele range over 10 years ago (like you, I only want standard functions) and it is still going strong, has never broken down or leaked and washes brilliantly.

By all means get the cheapest you can find - just recognise it might not last too long and might not do the best job.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 2nd Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,190 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 2nd Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    I've had a couple of Hotpoint washer driers which lasted 12 and 14 years, and the current Indesit is still ok after 3 years. Which currently have Miele as the most reliable, but they're 3 times the price.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 3rd Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 3rd Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    I had a Beko in a rented flat it was new to me and still working perfect when I left after 8 years.
    • Brighty
    • By Brighty 4th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Brighty
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    Buy a Miele, if you can't afford one, buy a cheap Beko or similar and treat it as disposable. You can get mid range stuff like Zanussi etc, but i've found they break just as quickly as the cheap Beko stuff. Expect to replace every 2-3 years. This is from experience with my own and 3 rental properties, i seem to be buying a machine every year.
    If you want to stand any chance of getting a duvet in, you'll need a 8 or 9 kg drum, even then it will be tight for a thick double. Bigger drums will be more expensive, so probably better to stick with a standard 7kg drum machine and just take the duvet to the launderette when needed.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 4th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 4,190 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    i seem to be buying a machine every year.
    Originally posted by Brighty
    For a £1 temporary Which membership you can read the Consumers Association reliability stats. With even the most unreliable brand (Siemens), 69% of them remain fault free after 10 years.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 4th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 3,594 Thanks
    cajef
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    Expect to replace every 2-3 years.
    Originally posted by Brighty
    Not my experience with Bosch, first one lasted 16 years and present one is 9 years old and still going strong.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 4th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    Yup get a Miele.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,190 Posts
    • 6,629 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    I've had a couple of Hotpoint washer driers which lasted 12 and 14 years, and the current Indesit is still ok after 3 years. Which currently have Miele as the most reliable, but they're 3 times the price.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    We bought a Miele washer dryer 21 years ago. It gave perfect service. It washed and dried exceptionally well and we never called the engineer out once. We got it in a sale at the time so wasn't that expensive considering. It had a problem with the thermostat eventually so we got a new one, it should see us out. I have friends who had a Miele washing machine in Holland. I believe it's in its 40 th year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,408Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin