Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 212Thanks
    jemreading
    Nearly debt free diary
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Nearly debt free diary 1st Jul 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hello,

I've been lurking and subscribing to a few threads over the past few months and finally plucked up the courage to start a diary!

As the title says ' nearly' debt free diary.. My current debt situation is below:
    -£350 CC with 18.9% (interest free ended on 25th June 2017)
    - £375 Argos Card (interest free until 25th August 2017)

It doesn't seem like much but I've shifted approximately £9,500 of debt between October 2015 - June 2017 and I'm struggling with the final bit! I have also tried to get another interest free card to shift my CC balance over but have been rejected.

I thought a diary might be a good thing as I find myself falling back into bad habits (looking at holidays and clothes I can't afford) and also using a lot of spare change throughout the week to buy small (but adds up) snacks!

I'm also getting married in October 2019 and plan to start saving for that come August 2017 (me and my OH have a savings plan, but it'll be sticking to it we find challenging!)

Jem
    you ruined my life/ debt: £1048
Page 2
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 10th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    I also keep thinking I have so much free credit (got about £4,000 on my CC and £1,100 on my Argos Card)

Need to keep reminding myself that it doesn't belong to me and whatever I buy on it I HAVE to pay it back. Not the bank, not my OH, not my parents but me
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 11th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Been a little poorly today. Spend wise I'm at: £5.90 as it was £3 for lunch - haven't been well all morning so I didn't take my lunch (leftovers which I think made me a little poorly) so had to buy this and £2.90 for a bus ticket to my parents

Good news, the wedding dress I ordered came! I tried it on but it's not for me so it's going back (free delivery!) so nothing spent. Will get the £249.50 refunded back to my CC which will take it back to £850.

I'm still in the mindset that I have all this money to spend. Went into a shop today as had 50% on and they do really nice underwear that I always wear. I was going to buy £50 worth (!!!!!) got in the queue and realised I didn't have my card. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but the only reason I didn't buy was because I didn't have my CC
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 11th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    I'm still itching to look online but I'm keeping busy to avoid the temptation!!!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 12th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Spent £1 on a big bar of chocolate at lunch time, but I used an old £1 coin that fell in front of me when I pull something from the wardrobe..
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 13th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    15 days until payday!

Money remaining:
    £40 shopping
    £10 social
    £5 in purse
    £41.40 in bank.

Things left this month:
    Date day: 15/07 - already paid for from date money. £10 left in date jar will get us petrol to go to and from our destination
    Shopping day: 21/07 - got £40 in the pot to last. I will need to go online and calculate what we can buy. We only need food as all toiletries are brought separately
    Friends birthday night - TBC - looking at spending £30 as need money for meal and drinks (not a big drinker so thinking: £15 for food, enough for 1 or 2 drinks and a taxi home - £30 (will pull £20 from bank for this)

Left = £5 purse money and £21.40 bank money.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 13th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Went shop today to pick up cans of pop for work (£3.75) for a 10 pack + 15 mini chocolate brownies for £1. Pretty much spent the £5 in my purse.

I'm also considering going to a football pre-season friendly in August, it's £10 for a ticket but will need to buy it before Wednesday.

I have also looked at our shopping again as we covered the basics but it didn't leave any room for snacky bits (and snacky bits are what we are really missing this week!)

I've got it to come in at £57 for two weeks, and me and OH happy to put in the extra £10 so we don't have to spend at work.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 13th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    For the past couple of months I've been finding that I've spent the majority of my money by now and then have to have quite a few NSD for the month. This really gets me in a low mood and I always search the internet for things I want (but can't afford)

For example, next month my salary is going to: paying back debt and going away for three days. We aren't doing any date nights and I've not got any money for treats or beauty stuff (not hard as I don't wear makeup!)

Things will be better come August as my weekdays are full with work and gym and my weekend is full with football and food shopping!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 14th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Oh how a day can change. I went a purchased the football shirt I wanted out of the money left in my bank

Current financial affairs:
    Money remaining-
    £40 shopping
    £10 social
    £0 in purse
    £6.10 in bank account

Things left this month:
    Date day: 15/07 - already paid for from date money. £10 left in date jar will get us petrol to go to and from our destination
    Shopping day: 21/07 - My OH has allowed me to take the £40 cash for myself and put the shopping for £40 on my CC as long as I pay it back to my card. I'm going to put the £40 in my bank account.
    Friends birthday night: 25/07 - no longer need to worry about drinks or taxi as it's just a meal and my OH can pick me up/drop me off (looking at £15 for food)
    Football 05/08 - need to purchase a ticket for my manager and myself (£10 a ticket but manager will reimburse)

Current left now:
    £56.10 in bank account (£10 football ticket, £15 meal out)
    80p in change
    £68 in new £1 coins.
    Last edited by jemreading; 14-07-2017 at 4:59 PM.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 14th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    This is my expected outgoings next month:

Bills to M £350.00
    Food £60.00
    Electricity £35.00
    Football Ticket £33.18
    Phone £38.00 (not calculated add-on, more like £40?)
    Gym Membership £29.99
    Argos Card £375.00
    Credit Card £200.00
    Savings £0
    Treats £0
    Gifts(birthday/xmas) £30.00 (Nephew and Grandma - already got my sisters)
    Date night £0 (going away for three nights)
    Travel £120.00
    Socials £30.00

Debt repayments: £575 (Argos card will be paid off!)

I'm considering taking my £1 coins to the bank and using the £68 for travel money. I have £50 saved in the travel fund already. I'm trying to work out what I'll need to take with me!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 14th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    I've currently had a change of heart.

I have £16.10 of my own money left and I'm going to see how far it gets me. I will need to buy: 1 football ticket for £10 and a meal out at my friends birthday. I don't want to borrow £40 from the food to put on my credit card. I may not go to the football, then all I'll need to do is buy my meal at my friends birthday
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 15th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Had a lovely NSD today (OH treated me to a McDoodle's)

We had a date day. We had to travel to SeaLIFE (had £10 left in date jar so we used that for petrol) OH had money to pay for: parking (£4.20 for 2 hours) and he got us McDoodle's dinner (£9.20)

Decided not to travel out again for dates (had a 3 hour round trip for a lovely hour and a bit sealife experience)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 15th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    We've also talked about shopping list and individual debt today

- Decided to re-do our shopping list as we enjoy eating a variety of food (settled on £70 shopping budget for me and £80 for him so £150 for the month - still a massive £150 reduction!)
    - We start our savings pot from September pay (27th September)
    - Still got to pay for: 2 night stay in hotel for a wedding (OH is paying for this as I paid for our hotel and travel for a three day trip to Brighton)
    - OH needs to pay the photographer deposit (2 payments left, one of £175 and one of £150)
    - Saving money for above trip (I have £50 so far - adding £120 next month)
    - Saving money for Prague (already paid trip, just need savings but will save £50 per month from August Pay)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 16th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    I've decided on a few things:

1) use £30 of my travel money this month to put back into my bank account (£30 will pay for: my football ticket @ £10 and my meal out)
    2) use my £70 new £1 towards my Brighton trip. I can then get £80 out of next month pay and will have £170 to take with me (still have £20 in travel fund)

Other things:
    1) signed up to a survey site (0ne p0ll) and already got £2.90 in there - got 12 surveys left at 0.20 for 11 surveys and 0.10 for 1 so another £2.30 to earn - can cash out at £40 and will aim to get that as soon as possible as need to get an outfit for a wedding in October!
    2) keep checking my pr0lific account (struggling to get any surveys only at £1.45)
    3) keep an eye out on topcashback (got £13.45 pending but this could take a while)
    4) Will take £1 coins out (£70) but will keep adding to them when I get them. Aim to add another £50 to the pot come Christmas which will cover a few gifts! This shouldn't be too difficult as it only took me 3 and a bit months to get £70
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 17th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Had a busy day today!

- Gym today at 7:30am meant a 6:20 start and work for 8:20am then another gym session after work until 5:30!
    - Got milk, coffee, grapes, pop and crisps to get me through the day (£5.17 spent)
    - Got 2 songs on my phone for 99p each
    - Put £30 back onto my debit card (currently at:
    - Put £20 on my credit card for football tickets (will pay the £20 straight off when my manager gives me the £10 for her ticket)
    - Picked up some money bags so I can sort my £1 coins out
    - Went into another bank to sort my new account out. Unfortunately, bank messed up and lost photocopies of my ID!!! So I have to take my ID in again tomorrow and they need to sort it ASAP!

Waiting for:
    - Wedding venue to send through invoice and wedding brochure.
    - Wedding dress funds to be refunded back onto my credit card (will take it back down to: £870)

Avoiding:
    - Next online shopping - trying to resist the £41 worth of clothes I put in the basket yesterday - original price would be about £80 worth of stuff...

Money left:
    - £34.12 left in my account
    - £1 worth of change (ish)
    - £72 in £1 coins
    - £20 in travel fund
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 18th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    I'm not having a good day

-Spent money at lunch time (£5.40)
    - Bank originally lost photocopies of my ID two weeks ago so I had to go back in and check - which is how I found out they lost it!
    - Got rejected for a current account not quite sure how! Went to ring them but no-one answered.
    - Checked my credit rating to find they don't have that I'm on the electoral roll at my current address (even though I've voted from my current address twice in the last year!!!)

I'm starting to panic that if I can't get a current account then I won't be able to get anything! I don't have any £0 balance account opened (closed them all after use) and my CC and argos card are no-where near the limit.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 19th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Today was a little better:

- Had lunch out at work with my manager (paid £3.79 for a meal and £1.50 for a coke)
    - Played football but my friend paid for me as he owed me it from our last football.
    - Up to £5.95 on surveys but can't cash out until £40.
    - Add 2 more new £1 coins to my collection!

Got an email from saying my credit file is being looked at as it is also missing 3 of my accounts on there and says I have no available credit (which is an inaccurate statement!!)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 19th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    I also just did my first topcashback of £5! This will cover part of my meal out for my friends birthday on the 25th!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 20th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Topcashback is going through just need to wait for it to arrive now. I'm also at £6.40 in my surveys (can cash out at £40)

Spends today:
    - £3.45 drink at lunch with friends
    - £4.05 on food (including 5p bag!)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 22nd Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    Went out last night straight after work and got back in really late so couldn't post. But yesterday evening I spent:

- £1.99 on dinner (quick KFC)
    - £2.99 on drinks (1 beer)
    - £5.19 in Mcdoodle's (I got 2 happy meals as I brought one for the homeless woman outside - cheeseburger happy meal with a hot drink!)

Today spends:
    - £52.49 on shopping but £6.50 was for a birthday gift for my OH friend and we've been more realistic with snacks so we shouldn't need to buy stuff at work this week.

I had to pay for the shopping on my credit card as we were £2.49 short (my OH put £20 towards the shopping as he wanted expensive fish and coffee!)

I've topped my travel money pot back up. It's now at £70 and will adjust next months figures to cover the £52.49 from shopping and take less for travel.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 22nd Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jemreading
    I'm also at £6.60 on my survey and am waiting £5 for my cashback with another £8.49 still pending, but that could take a while!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,765Posts Today

6,582Users online

Martin's Twitter