Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 282Posts
    • 329Thanks
    jemreading
    Nearly debt free diary
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Nearly debt free diary 1st Jul 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hello,

I've been lurking and subscribing to a few threads over the past few months and finally plucked up the courage to start a diary!

As the title says ' nearly' debt free diary.. My current debt situation is below:
    -£350 CC with 18.9% (interest free ended on 25th June 2017)
    - £375 Argos Card (interest free until 25th August 2017)

It doesn't seem like much but I've shifted approximately £9,500 of debt between October 2015 - June 2017 and I'm struggling with the final bit! I have also tried to get another interest free card to shift my CC balance over but have been rejected.

I thought a diary might be a good thing as I find myself falling back into bad habits (looking at holidays and clothes I can't afford) and also using a lot of spare change throughout the week to buy small (but adds up) snacks!

I'm also getting married in October 2019 and plan to start saving for that come August 2017 (me and my OH have a savings plan, but it'll be sticking to it we find challenging!)

Jem
Page 17
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 10th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi db, thanks for the info, I will take a look at it. I have been recommended to use MFP before but never looked into it
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 10,968 Thanks
    Florence J
    I love My Fitness Pal, when I use it I lose weight. When I don't, I don't (or I put it back on!)

What I love about My Fitness Pal is in my case I have the tendency to over eat. When I put in what I've eaten in a day and see the calories go over my limit, well then I know why, there's no way I can be mystified as to why I've gained weight or stayed the same.

I measure all my food and put the exact grams in and then I can really see what portion sizes I am eating and how many calories are in the foods I eat.

It's a good little app, not 100% accurate but it does have a lot going for it.

I hope you are well.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2195.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3168.45/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 11th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hey Florence thanks for dropping in, always appreciated. Hope you are well

I’ve started to use it. I was recommended to use it by my gym instructor as I lost a bit of weight (only 3lb in 5 months, went from 56KG to 53KG) but my target was to gain as I’m meant to be putting on weight as muscle as my lean muscle is a little poor so I need to actually try and eat more but I find it challenging!! Sometimes it’s an I eat because I know I have to and not because I want too.

Also, I find ‘healthy’ eating really expensive!! The government want people to get fit and healthy and lead active lifestyles, however, it can cost more for a water than for a can of pop!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 11th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    In MSE news... me and my OH are going to Italy for 6 days in February. He found it through a website, so we get 6 nights, flights, hotel and tours for £319 per person.. better news my OH paid for it as he has got a new job and gets a 5K payrise!

We are having an emergency finance meeting tomorrow night I know that is strange thing to say but we are both goal orientated people so I want to set goals moving forward.

All I need to do is pay for my spending money, so I will make minimum payment to my credit card next month. I’ve never done that before, I always try and pay off as much as possible but I don’t want to add to my credit card at all so I’m being as sensible as I can given the situation.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 12th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    Boots still has a lot of 1/2 price offers on gift sets and so all. I’m tempted to pick them up for future gifts. I’m also gifting my friends beauty stuff as gifts, so it make sense. I will leave it a few days and have a think further!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 13th Jan 18, 12:03 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    I’m now finished work for the week, I’m so glad to have the time off Looking forward to heading away. First time away from the OH for 3 nights, so may be a shock to the system..

I’ve sorted all the stuff out for my holiday.

I used the Next voucher I got at Christmas to get a swimsuit for all upcoming holidays and to use at my gym. I forgot that while I have enough clothes, underwear, gym gear and so on I forgot about swimming stuff!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 13th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    Working out my budgets for the next three months and my debt free day is looking to be April 27th I'm happy with that seeing as I had an un-budgeted holiday to factor into the cost and need spending money for that, so my payment to my CC is going to be smaller than I'm use to paying but still over my minimum payment required.

I need to pop over to Aldi to pick up the remaining bits my OH forgot to buy for himself for next week. He did his own shop then realised he forgot salad, milk and juice. Lucky for us Aldi is a 2 minute walk away.

Still no surveys on PA, so my account is at £1.17.. I check about 3/4 times a day but seems to be slow.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 13th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    Used a bit of shopping money to get the bits from Aldi. We have £40 left for next weeks shopping, which is more than doable.

Managed to do a survey, do the washing up and put some clothes washing on. The rest of the day includes: watching the football, making dinner and finishing my packing for holiday. Trying not to take too much seeing as it’s only 3 days.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 16th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    In another country where it’s currently -2 degrees. I don’t think my body has managed with the drop in temperature!

Got this evening and tomorrow left then travel home tomorrow evening.

Plans when I get home include doing more surveys and looking at places to visit on the Italy trip in February.

I have a friends birthday party at the weekend and have £20 set aside for that. It should cover a few drinks and a taxi back!

8 days until payday, which sounds magical. Just looked at my bank account and it looks a little sad! I need to check my credit card as hotel cost went on yesterday but I have money from my friend to pay it off
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 17th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    jemreading
    Final day of holiday before travelling this evening, I always look forward to getting home.

Not much to report of the money saving front (kind of hard to do in a different country with a different currency) I have £34 left in Hungarian Forint which will get me through the day no doubt, just need to buy breakfast, a magnet and some dinner!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,390Posts Today

8,657Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Of course but this question is about the specific "ladies first" rule. Ie a man giving a seat because it's a lady n? https://t.co/FBmEfwnHNM

• Today's twitter poll: Traditional manners have/had the concept of "ladies first". Is that compatible with gender eq? https://t.co/Qk4bC3pHjk

• RT @helwid87: @MartinSLewis Thankyou for your student loan refund advice. My £617 refund came through yesterday, making January less of a t?

• Follow Martin