Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 220Posts
    • 272Thanks
    jemreading
    Nearly debt free diary
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Nearly debt free diary 1st Jul 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hello,

I've been lurking and subscribing to a few threads over the past few months and finally plucked up the courage to start a diary!

As the title says ' nearly' debt free diary.. My current debt situation is below:
    -£350 CC with 18.9% (interest free ended on 25th June 2017)
    - £375 Argos Card (interest free until 25th August 2017)

It doesn't seem like much but I've shifted approximately £9,500 of debt between October 2015 - June 2017 and I'm struggling with the final bit! I have also tried to get another interest free card to shift my CC balance over but have been rejected.

I thought a diary might be a good thing as I find myself falling back into bad habits (looking at holidays and clothes I can't afford) and also using a lot of spare change throughout the week to buy small (but adds up) snacks!

I'm also getting married in October 2019 and plan to start saving for that come August 2017 (me and my OH have a savings plan, but it'll be sticking to it we find challenging!)

Jem
Page 13
    • fay66
    • By fay66 1st Dec 17, 9:43 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    fay66
    ooh cherry liquors think a trip to m and s is this deal still on
    Inland revenue £4500=
    Loan £2610
    Pay day loans - 135+600+300+300
    Credit card 1 - 5186
    CC2 -1038
    CC3 - 548 cc4 234
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi Fay, yes, they always do the same deal at Christmas.

It is either £3 per box or 3 boxes of mix and match chocolates for £6. I normally buy them from Thornton’s as both my dad and sister like cherry liquors but you get less in a pack and have to pay more!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 2nd Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Christmas shopping is done in store. I have some change left over too, will check when I get home!

We went out for breakfast before and then went to shop. My OH went to JL and spent £78 then realised he got his brother a pen for £30!!!!! we swiftly went back in and got a refund. He also got 30% off his mums gift too as he picked up the wrong one!

All I need to pick up is two lots of biscuits for our parents, 2 bottle bags and secret Santa and work colleague gift and I’m done. I set aside £150 for gifts and will definitely be under this!

On the way to the football now! So happy I can sit down for the next few hours, my feet ache!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 2nd Dec 17, 9:24 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    I'm thinking about applying for a new credit card, shifting from my Barclay to a new card that is 0% for 30 months..

I have done a soft search and I have a 90% chance of getting the card (knowing my luck I'd be in the 10% that doesn't!!!) it means I can shift my credit card debt over to the new card, have 0% interest and can pay the card down over a longer period and put more into savings for a bit. It's the 0% that bothers me the most. My Barclay has 18.7% interest on it right now.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. I just don't fancy getting rejected.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 3rd Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    I’ve slept on it and decided to leave it for now, I’m not 100% sure I’ll be accepted.

Plans for today include going to the gym and then not moving for the rest of the day, seems like a good idea!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 3rd Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Conquered the gym. 30 minute walk to the gym, 1 hour in the gym and 30 minutes walking back home.

I need to put some washing in but feel like it would throw my 'not moving for the rest of the day' plans out the window. I need to find time to wrap Christmas presents but at present I don't have the energy..
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    It's worth trying the 0% especially as you're currently paying interest. I'd only try once though.

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 3rd Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi Wannabe, thanks for popping by I will have a think on it for a few days, I may try once more before the year ends and if I don't get it focus on paying is ASAP.

Out of all the things about having debt, the interest on it is the most annoying! x
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 3rd Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    The OH has got us tickets to see the Star Wars film on the 22nd December. He paid for the iPlus experience meaning fancier seats and a better viewing experience (apparently..) all I have to do is pay to share popcorn (about £4?)

I also made a payment to my credit card. I was waiting for my direct debits to go out, however, I already know how much needs to go out. We are also waiting to be transferred over from EON - waiting for the final bill from them but I've also got my half set aside ready to transfer to my OH.

We keep our finances very very separate for now. I just transfer my half of the payments over to him in a standing order every month.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 3rd Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    I also forgot to mention that I counted up my £1 collection (again) I have £36 in total so £20 are bagged and ready to go.

I’ll keep going with the others and do another re-count in the new year. I don’t put every single £1 in now, just when I look in my purse, see about £5 worth and think better to say than get a coffee!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 4th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Been up since 5:30, left at 6:10, was at gym for 6:40, finished exercise classes at 8am and started work at 8:20am. A long day ahead as I have a 4:30pm meeting until 6pm, and won’t be home until 6:30pm..

I applaud all the people who have children and have to get them ready and themselves ready and those who run a full household! I’m tired just managing myself!!

Got to sort out my £1 coins today, got them all ready for the bank and will move them across to my savings account.

Should have a NSD today as I have my home made ‘meal deal’ and afternoon snacks!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 4th Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Confirmed that my next pay date is the 21st December followed by the 25th January

In January’s pay I should get back £386 as I purchased additional annual leave but never used it so instead of carrying it forward they will refund me the money.

I am considering buying 5 days at the start of the year, this will then go out over 12 months at the cost of £32.16 which doesn’t seem so bad and if I don’t use it I’ll just get the money back - not sure I really need an extra 5 days though.

I do get 2 and a half extra days as I will have my continuous service for 5 years!! then when I hit 2019 it will re-calculate to 5 days (seeing as my continuous service falls in half the year I get half the holiday for the remaining year)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 4th Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Today was a LSD in the end. After the horrible long day, a few of my work colleagues went to get a drink after work. I ended up buying a half pint of Coors light using my purse money (£2.40)

I changed my £1 coins and transferred the money plus rounding down money to my savings I also think I have near enough £20 in £1 coins again.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 5th Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    I need to pick up the final bits of Christmas stuff eventually but I don’t want to spend the money! I will need to go and get them regardless but I feel like I need to have a NSD.. (how the brain works is fascinating!)

Surveys have slowed down. I always check during my lunch break as I seem to get most of them during that hour but nothing. It always seems to stop when I’m about 50p from cashing out!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 5th Dec 17, 10:37 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    I spent some money today.. I got a new bodysuit and a new dress (both were half price and the dress is going back!)

I also got a drink and cheeseburger for £2.28 and then went for a dessert and drink with my friend for £7.25.

It doesn’t sound like too much but I feel guilty for spending it seeing as I am going out on Friday evening too.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 6th Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    I forgot to bring my money for my football so I have taken £10 out and the money that is in my sport money will go straight back into my bank.

A friend has also bank transferred £3 for football over so I moved that into my savings. I now have a grand total of £101.65 in savings slow and steady, but I like the challenge of moving the money across (if I can!) the money I move across will help pay off my part of the holiday next October.

Still need to take the dress back, and will get £15 back into my account. I’m also going to see if I can take the body suit back, get the money back and then buy it using my gift card feels cheeky but won’t know if I don’t ask!

Still waiting for the final bill from EON before we can move over to another company.. it’s taken 3 weeks!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 6th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    So I paid for the bodysuit using my gift card and I just need to take it back along with the dress. I should get back £23.99 I also need to pick it up on Friday so I will grab it and grab the last little bits I need from M&S

I need to start wrapping at some point and I need to go to my parents and drop off their gifts.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 7th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Went for a coffee and cake today with my friends at lunch time. One of my friends has been really unwell, in and out of hospital and is suffering from depression so we are trying to do more. I spent £6.00 on a coffee and cake I feel like I’ve been robbed!!

It was an independent coffee chain but still! It went on my card because I feel like the queen and am not carrying cash!

Should be no more spending today. I’m at work, followed by gym, followed by home!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 7th Dec 17, 9:09 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Managed to get home without spending anymore money

Tomorrow I have another half day at work and my plans for the afternoon are:
    - hit the gym (5 days out of 5)
    - pick bodysuit up
    - return dress and body suit
    - pick up two lots of biscuits and two bottle bags
    - try and complete a few more surveys if they come up on PA
    - wrap majority of my Christmas gifts up
    - get ready for work Christmas party (party 1 of 3)
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 8th Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    jemreading
    Tomorrow I have another half day at work and my plans for the afternoon are:
    - hit the gym (5 days out of 5) - This didn't happen!!! Will attempt tomorrow afternoon before visiting my family
    - pick bodysuit up - DONE
    - return dress and body suit - DONE
    - pick up two lots of biscuits and two bottle bags - DONE
    - try and complete a few more surveys if they come up on PA - On Going, have looked and none have appeared
    - wrap majority of my Christmas gifts up - put alcohol in bottle bags.. close enough!
    - get ready for work Christmas party (party 1 of 3)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,012Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter