Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 1st Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2,564Posts
    • 410Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Can vagcom test battery/alternator?
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    Can vagcom test battery/alternator? 1st Jul 17 at 6:24 PM
    I'm wondering if either is on the way out on my wifes MK4 Golf (X-plate).
    I don't really want to go to a garage tomorrow (Kwik Fit being the only one open locally) and say hi can you test this for no charge >IF< vagcom can do the job for free. I have a full version of vagcom, i'm just not great at using it fully.

Car had been ok for long enough. Battery is maybe 12-18 months old. A tyre was flat yesterday so i had the car running while using the compressor to blow it up.
    Wife drove about 20 mile out. Didn't start great but started. When she came to come back home the car wouldn't start.
    I jumped it and as she approached home it started to judder a bit i think she said. Then she parked it up on the drive. Came to start it again and it wouldn't start.

All dash lights come on as they should. Fans blow as they should. Radio will work. Remote locking still works.

I've got a battery charger on there at the moment but having a chat with someone about it they say it'll likely be the alternator.

Just wondered if there was some reading or test in vagcom that would help identify if either battery or alternator is good.

Page 3
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 6th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    You've lost me totally i'm afraid.

Or was it a joke at my expense? I don't know.

Charging light on the dashboard?
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Yes, the warning lamp depicting a battery that illuminates when the alternator isn't charging. It's part of the circuit that energises the alternator coils, and it used to be the case that if the bulb went, the alternator would no longer charge the battery. If it wasn't on in your case, then I'd have to question whether the garage replaced the alternator... Or just the bulb.

It is number 15 in this image:

Unless the Mk4 Golf has an ECU controlled alternator exciter circuit of course - but then the charging warning light is typically also ECU controlled dependent on the voltage output on the alternator.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 9th Jul 17, 12:36 AM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    At what stage would you expect the battery light? It came on but it didn't stay on.

And the alternator for sure has been changed. It's nice and shiny new. I took a look beforehand.

• BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    At what stage would you expect the battery light? It came on but it didn't stay on.

And the alternator for sure has been changed. It's nice and shiny new. I took a look beforehand.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    As soon as the alternator isn't producing a charge, the light will illuminate, and it will stay illuminated until it is charging. That is why the light comes on when you turn the ignition on but goes off when the car starts.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 10th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    As soon as the alternator isn't producing a charge, the light will illuminate, and it will stay illuminated until it is charging. That is why the light comes on when you turn the ignition on but goes off when the car starts.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Oh no we've not seen it come on and stay on.

Well it did a while ago if i remember right when the engine just cut out but i think that was related to the previous problem which i discussed with you? Cylinder 3 if i remember right & misfiring but it hadn't stayed on since that.

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 15,496 Posts
    • 13,822 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Does the charge light come on when you first turn the key, before starting the engine?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin