Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 7,686Posts
    • 1,768Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Tory Manifesto - lies ?
    • 1st Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    Tory Manifesto - lies ? 1st Jul 17 at 4:49 PM
    Does anyone know whether, something that was supposed to happen - in the Tory manfesto for the 2017 general election - did actually happen /?
    I am talking about the promise to remove the need to pay NI contributions from employers for 12 months - if they employed a disabled person....
    As far as I can make out - nothing has changed - I may be wrong - but can someone please confirm or deny this ??
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 1st Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    Nothing has changed. It is not in their plans for the next two years.

Did anyone expect the Tories to be honest?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 1st Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    Why not ask your MP this question.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 7,686 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    Why not ask your MP this question.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    I will do... thanks
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 1st Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,072 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    Just because something's in a party manifesto doesn't mean it automatically becomes law if the party gets into government - they still have to raise a bill and get it through parliament.

And given the fact that the conservatives don't have an overall majority means that a quite a few of their manifesto pledges are likely to get ditched.

I believe that the Queens speech laying out their proposed legislation for the next two years was particularly short this time (perhaps because, as Dennis Skinner quipped, she was in a hurry to get to Ascot)

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/queens-speech-2017
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 1st Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 15,033 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    Does anyone know whether, something that was supposed to happen - in the Tory manfesto for the 2017 general election - did actually happen /?
    I am talking about the promise to remove the need to pay NI contributions from employers for 12 months - if they employed a disabled person....
    As far as I can make out - nothing has changed - I may be wrong - but can someone please confirm or deny this ??
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    The GE was on the 8th June. The state opening of the new Parliament was on the 21st June. And on the 20th July they all start their summer holidays. Back in September, and then a few weeks off for the conference season.

So of course nothing has changed. Good God man don't you know how Parliament works?

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 1st Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 11,068 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    I'm still waiting for some of their 2015 manifesto promises to be implemented.

...and some from 2010.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 7,686 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 1st Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    The GE was on the 8th June. The state opening of the new Parliament was on the 21st June. And on the 20th July they all start their summer holidays. Back in September, and then a few weeks off for the conference season.

So of course nothing has changed. Good God man don't you know how Parliament works?

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/
    Originally posted by antrobus
    But do you think that they will ...?
    • Diary
    • By Diary 1st Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Diary
    • 1st Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    Absolutely not. Never.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 1st Jul 17, 11:05 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,072 Thanks
    p00hsticks

It's probably somewhere below bringing back fox hunting in the pecking order
    • karcher
    • By karcher 1st Jul 17, 11:25 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 10,203 Thanks
    karcher
    It's probably somewhere below bringing back fox hunting in the pecking order
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Sad, but true.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 2nd Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    • 7,358 Posts
    • 7,385 Thanks
    pogofish
    Its a political manifesto - Do you really feel the need to ask?
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 2nd Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    • 15,033 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    antrobus
    I have absolutely no idea.
    • matrix11001
    • By matrix11001 3rd Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    matrix11001
    Problem is you can't believe a word Tory MPs say as they just want to get in to claim practically all the expenses they could possibly need. They're the reason why we need manifestos to be legally binding with a minimum amount of the manifesto to be implemented or warrants automatic general election.

You'll find that most of their recent manifesto has been u-turned as
    is a lot of their policies after they're caught out doing something or they try to hoodwink the electorate they've changed when they're trying to just get away or cover something up.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 3rd Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    • 15,033 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    antrobus
    Problem is you can't believe a word Tory MPs say as they just want to get in to claim practically all the expenses they could possibly need. ...
    Originally posted by matrix11001
    Strange, as far as I can remember, all the MPs prosecuted for fiddling their claims as a result of the Expenses scandal were Labour MPs. I can name them if you are interested.

..They're the reason why we need manifestos to be legally binding with a minimum amount of the manifesto to be implemented or warrants automatic general election.

You'll find that most of their recent manifesto has been u-turned as is a lot of their policies after they're caught out doing something or they try to hoodwink the electorate they've changed when they're trying to just get away or cover something up.
    I fail to see the connection between party manifestos and MP expense claims.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 4th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 18,391 Posts
    • 194,876 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    At least labour did not get in and implement their manifesto promises

Mind you, they prefer to live in a land of make believe at the moment anyway, whilst at the same time prejudicing potential prosecutions.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • matrix11001
    • By matrix11001 12th Jul 17, 4:26 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    matrix11001
    At least labour did not get in and implement their manifesto promises

Mind you, they prefer to live in a land of make believe at the moment anyway, whilst at the same time prejudicing potential prosecutions.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C

So your happy that the Conservatives are screwing over the disabled, Labours manifesto would start repairing the damage and evil the Tories have done are still doing and intend to do, so don't know where you get that opinion from unless your just trolling for attention
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 8,023 Posts
    • 4,788 Thanks
    teddysmum
    So your happy that the Conservatives are screwing over the disabled, Labours manifesto would start repairing the damage and evil the Tories have done are still doing and intend to do, so don't know where you get that opinion from unless your just trolling for attention

But, how would Labour pay for all the free university education ,millions of new homes, 'repairing' Tory 'damage and evil' etc ?

Taxing a few rich people won't raise a fraction of what would be needed.
    • alanrp123
    • By alanrp123 2nd Aug 17, 6:04 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    alanrp123
    Corbyn
    Same thing with this mob, telling blatant lies over the student fees!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,241Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter