Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Los
    • By Los 1st Jul 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Los
    Best PAYG Sim which also works in Europe
    • 1st Jul 17, 11:03 AM
    Best PAYG Sim which also works in Europe 1st Jul 17 at 11:03 AM
    Any advice on Giffgaff and Asda mobile SIMS and coverage in Europe. Currently with plusnet but was unable to pick up any signal in Croatia. Giffgaff coverage in UK is showing only 2G in my home area (London).
Page 1
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 1st Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 1st Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1st Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    Have you considered Three? Their PAYG is one of the cheapest call rates (3p/min). I only have experience of roaming in Spain but I'm sure others will reply.
    Calls from the UK to several countries are only 3p/min too, which might be useful.
    • billsavings
    • By billsavings 1st Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    billsavings
    • 1st Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    www.1pmobile.com piggy backs on EE

1p a minute calls text and data.
    1p a minute roaming in 48 EU Countries.

Must top up by 10 pound every 4 months. But any unused credit is not lost.
    Handy if you only use about 250 minutes/ texts a month.
    Last edited by billsavings; 01-07-2017 at 2:14 PM.
    • Los
    • By Los 2nd Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Los
    • 2nd Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    Thank you - will investigate both of those.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 4th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    Yes, but that depends on the SIM package/Network allowing roaming in the first place, not all do.

You also need to check that your chosen network has a roaming agreement with the countries you in which you choose to travel again with the types of network compatible with your handset eg 2G/3G/4G as required.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    I thought new EU law came in that said from now on you pay same price in EU for roaming as you would here.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    That's why the cheapest PAYG domestic tariffs are being suggested...
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 4th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    Plusnet offer "UK only" SIMs, not sure the EU legislation deals with an outfit that openly tries to circumvent it on their lower priced deals:
    https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only
    • r0adrunner
    • By r0adrunner 4th Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    r0adrunner
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    Have you considered Three? Their PAYG is one of the cheapest call rates (3p/min). I only have experience of roaming in Spain but I'm sure others will reply.
    Calls from the UK to several countries are only 3p/min too, which might be useful.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    I want to convert my old Apple iPhone into a PAYG phone because I want to stop using my mobile for calls and just use it for text messages whenever I need to.

However, when I went on 3's website I could not find the deal you detail in your post and which is detailed on the PAYG page on this site.

If I go into my local 3 store can I buy it there?

Thanks.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 4th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    I want to convert my old Apple iPhone into a PAYG phone because I want to stop using my mobile for calls and just use it for text messages whenever I need to.

However, when I went on 3's website I could not find the deal you detail in your post and which is detailed on the PAYG page on this site.

If I go into my local 3 store can I buy it there?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by r0adrunner
    In the following link, scroll down the page to "SIM with credit", it shows the 321 non bundle rates.
    http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 4th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    That link has Roam like at home

"You can use your monthly plan allowance when you're inside the UK as well as when you're travelling in one of over 40 Roam Like at Home destinations, which includes all of the EU"
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Scroll down the page to the £5/month deal, it states "UK only"
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 5th Jul 17, 6:05 AM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Scroll down the page to the £5/month deal, it states "UK only"
    Roaming has always been an optional feature.

The EU legislation doesn't require they provide it - only that if they do, it must been at the domestic rate in the EEA.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 5th Jul 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    What a difference a day makes, Plusnet have changed their web page since yesterday and the £5/month SIM only now says "Roam like at home". Previously said "UK only" on that plan!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    What a difference a day makes, Plusnet have changed their web page since yesterday and the £5/month SIM only now says "Roam like at home". Previously said "UK only" on that plan!
    Yeah, Plusnet have now made ALL sims RLAH, even the £5 ones.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 6th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    rhysadams
    I've got a Sim Only from Three, been abroad a few times Europe and America, not been charged a bean. Although I couldn't make calls in Amercia to American numbers for some reason. Skype got me around that in the end
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    Yeah, Plusnet have now made ALL sims RLAH, even the £5 ones.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    That accounts for when I was looking yesterday it appeared that the £5 deal was UK only, but for £6 you got Europe which I thought about for a bit but then realised it'll be nearly a year before we travel so decided against it. Then when I went back to look at the £5 deal it had the Roam deal on it. Thought I'd imagined it.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    boatman
    One thing I have noticed, with '3' they let you call another eu country for free whilst in an eu 'roam like at home' country.
    iDmobile charge you for calling another eu 'roam like at home' country whilst in the eu, only calls to UK and your current country are included.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    eDicky
    One thing I have noticed, with '3' they let you call another eu country for free whilst in an eu 'roam like at home' country.
    iDmobile charge you for calling another eu 'roam like at home' country whilst in the eu, only calls to UK and your current country are included.
    Originally posted by boatman
    Are you sure? Since June 15th?

If so, IDmobile would be violating the new regulations.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    boatman
    Are you sure? Since June 15th?

If so, IDmobile would be violating the new regulations.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming

"* You can use your minutes to call numbers in the UK or the same destination you're in. You'll be charged for calls to other non-UK destinations. These aren't included in your normal monthly allowance even when you're in the UK."

About halfway down the page there is a table, it clearly shows that while in one of the roaming countries you will be charged if you call a country other than the UK or the country you are currently in.
    Last edited by boatman; 08-07-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: ll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,486Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin