Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicholasuk
    • By nicholasuk 1st Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 1Thanks
    nicholasuk
    Which Broad band should i get ?
    • 1st Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    Which Broad band should i get ? 1st Jul 17 at 9:37 AM
    Today i was browsing im not happy with BT i seem to always end up paying 70£ a month, admittedly i always pay the bill late lol but my speeds are

like 14 download and 2 upload.

I think id rather get away from BT though to be honest, they've robbed me enough.

I was looking at Virgin Media

Up to 200Mbps download + Up to 20Mbps upload + No traffic management Doesn't seem to be any cash back offer for that. I only just remembered cash back ive never done it before.

I need a high speed. My GF will be moving in with me later in the year and she uses a lot of devices for her work from home (could be over ten lol) and i do web work now and then and hate slow screens. Want blistering fast.

I see EE have some nice cash back 125£ , im guessing they use Virgin Fiber cables?

I basically just want Broad Band to be honest, i don't need a home phone.

Any thoughts?

Nick
Page 2
    • Mmck
    • By Mmck 1st Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mmck
    virgin media cold calls
    Been with virgin media for years and quite happy with it until recently. I got a call from them offering me a loyalty reward of free sky sports and sky cinema for 6 months. I should've known it was too good to be true!! Just got my bill and they've changed my call package which I had for years without telling me. I always paid for anytime calls but they removed this and charged me almost £50 for calls!! Also put me on a new contract which means another year with them. I was assured the only change was the free sky and everything else stayed the same. Having a lot of hassle communicating with them. No manager available etc and told I should have checked and not just believed them!! Waiting for a manager to call back regarding what I consider is sharp practice at least. A 'free' loyalty gift just cost me £50.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 1st Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    craigr98
    The connection ratio issue would BT supplied line users suffer in the same way or would it be different?
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 2nd Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    iniltous
    The connection ratio issue would BT supplied line users suffer in the same way or would it be different?
    Originally posted by craigr98
    Although only anacdotal 'internet chatter' it seems VM have 'over utilisation' problems in some areas , complaints tend to be along the lines that in quiet periods , sort of 23.00-15.00 things are OK, but peak traffic times 15.00-23.00, things can slow right down, Openreach can suffer with the same thing, but less internet chat/complaint about it
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 2nd Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    craigr98
    Although only anacdotal 'internet chatter' it seems VM have 'over utilisation' problems in some areas , complaints tend to be along the lines that in quiet periods , sort of 23.00-15.00 things are OK, but peak traffic times 15.00-23.00, things can slow right down, Openreach can suffer with the same thing, but less internet chat/complaint about it
    Originally posted by iniltous
    Find it interesting that Virgin seems to receive more complaints on contention ratios when compared to Openreach, wonder why that is? Is it because Virgin tends to offer quicker speeds so therefore more noticeable during slow down?
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 2nd Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    lee111s
    Find it interesting that Virgin seems to receive more complaints on contention ratios when compared to Openreach, wonder why that is? Is it because Virgin tends to offer quicker speeds so therefore more noticeable during slow down?
    Originally posted by craigr98
    BT don't and haven't used contention ratios for a long time now.

There are occasionally "hot VP" issues which is similar to the Virgin over utilisation issues. Hot VP's can be sorted quite quickly though by BT wholesale increasing the bandwith available over the VP or by moving circuits around to spread the load.

With Virgin however it often requires physical upgrade of the equipment and it can take many many months, if ever at all.
    • nicholasuk
    • By nicholasuk 13th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nicholasuk
    I had it fitted. It's a second floor flat, with scaffolding around currently. At first the guy was sort of trying to get out of it lol, because the cable route was difficult but i just jumped out onto the scaffolding and guided the cable down the wall other than that was pretty easy and pain free.

It is faster than what i was getting from bt.

I hear some people saying things like switching your wifi channels etc can make it faster?

My wifi speeds it like 180mbps and upload is 20mps

Bt was 13mbps and upload was 1 mbps.

i didnt test the speed with the cable plugged in yet.
    • nicholasuk
    • By nicholasuk 13th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nicholasuk
    And yes you have to be careful what you believe with these things, its the same with all companies they over sell and try to trick you etc but ultimately its up to us to read the terms.

One thing i did find interesting is the media sales guy said you dont need the 300 the 200mbps would do but i just went with the 300 anyway to be safe.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jul 17, 1:57 PM
    • 9,437 Posts
    • 3,852 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    10-20 would be fine for most consumers many web sites don't get faster the more speed you have .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

790Posts Today

6,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin