Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 23,270Posts
    • 152,398Thanks
    Aesop
    Make upto £10 a day in July 2017 - everybody most welcome
    • 30th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    Make upto £10 a day in July 2017 - everybody most welcome 30th Jun 17 at 8:02 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

This is the 119th month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make £10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra £10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of £1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to £5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for £10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:

Wages from your main job

What can be added:

Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly. Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:

Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX, MusicMagpie, and a few more too

Ebay - a place to sell anything and everything. (You will be suprised at what sells!)

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

Join cashback sites like Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Mobile phone to recycle? Try http://mobilevaluer.com/ but also check other selling sites like ebay, Facebook selling, gumtree, etc.

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Want to help someone else out? Sign up through their referral on the referral board, and leave yours, so someone else can do the same for you.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

This month's challenge is to try and make £310 (or any amount of course!).
    lynnejk is assisting me and will create the challengers list and update it. CHALLENGER LIST IS POST 8.

She will also be answering any questions she can help with and here for general advice. Having been a challenger for a while, she knows her stuff. Thank you lynnejk for your help.

Good luck everybody. Remember to post any questions or comments that you have, and let's go on encouraging each other throughout this month.
    Last edited by Aesop; 31-07-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    Make £10 a day September 2017 £81.68.
    August 2017 £390.47
Page 6
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 7th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 23,270 Posts
    • 152,398 Thanks
    Aesop
    I assume it's Prolific you're talking about. It really bugs me too, especially the ones with street signs where there's often a tiny sliver of a sign on the adjoining square. I always tick it but I'm not sure I should have as I then get another page of street signs and then another. Sometimes up to 4 before they acknowledge that I'm not a robot
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    swagbucks too
    August 2017 £390.47
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 7th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    QueenJess
    RANT ALERT!!!!!!!

I am SICK to the back teeth of proving I am NOT a robot!!!

Click on all pics with shopfronts........wtf? Half the time the pics arent clear and round and round you go in circles.

What happened to the good old captcha?
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Yep - they drive me crazy too...
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: September £187.09/£450
    (August £442.32, July £446.51)
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 7th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Only 0.15p to report today from Citizenme, but it feels like I have made much more progress than this!

I have a few watchers on eBay and one bid for £10 which ends on Sunday, got more surveys done for OnePoll and now at £35.50 and so close to payout (suspect I won't get the cash in July now as I seem to remember they take a while to pay) , waiting on my credit card bill tomorrow/Monday to show the final amount of cashback coming off. I also got my first surveys from Prolific confirmed including getting a small £43p bonus (not at payout yet), but I did a few higher value surveys this morning that I am waiting to be confirmed.

Slowly creeping closer, although a £10 a day target is seeming like wishful thinking right now! Will keep plodding away and will see where I come out at the end of the month.
    Last edited by QueenJess; 07-07-2017 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Wording amendment.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 7th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,167 Thanks
    lynnejk
    I'm just the opposite sleep-wise. I could sleep on a washing line, as the saying goes. I'm a lark rather than an owl and am often up and about online before 6 some mornings. That's the time of day I feel most active and energised. It's downhill all the way after that and by 10 in the evening I'm already nodding off
    Haha - I'm the absolute opposite, a night owl. I have to be disciplined and go to bed by 12.30 - 1.00 otherwise I can't get my head off the pillow in the morning

Brilliant news re your car - soo pleased it's passed okay without costing you a fortune

£3 amazon giftcard to add.

RANT ALERT!!!!!!!

I am SICK to the back teeth of proving I am NOT a robot!!!

Click on all pics with shopfronts........wtf? Half the time the pics arent clear and round and round you go in circles.

What happened to the good old captcha?
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    I'm totally with you - though I usually seem to get signs or cars. Maybe these auto-filler thingies can manage to do captchas now ?

I've just about emptied out my paypal account again and put it into my savings - I suppose 3% is better than nowt, just wish the rates would go back up a bit eh.
    Lx
    Last edited by lynnejk; 07-07-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1795....SEPT=189.80/150
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1337....SEPT=102.84/200
    Bulk buy.......SEPT=13.48
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....SEPT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -5/8 ......CC =840......Savings = £9250
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 7th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 23,270 Posts
    • 152,398 Thanks
    Aesop
    Just a quick update on my car which I thought would be eye-wateringly expensive to put right. I worried for nothing as the mechanics tested it thoroughly and could find no trace of whatever caused the alarming issue with warning lights and fault warnings coming on and scaring me silly a couple of weeks ago.

so pleased to read this. I have had a problem with mine doing the same. the warning lights come on and a message. Nothing in handbook. we worked out the other day that when fuel tank is extremely low, ie past emergency fuel, the car doesnt like it. especially when parked on hills. I get it all.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 7th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 23,270 Posts
    • 152,398 Thanks
    Aesop
    so I have a high value item for sale on ebay. someone messaged could you post for delivery sat? yes I reply, as long as you pay today, this was thursday.

can you deliver? my car in garage. i am only around the corner from you.

yes I can deliver but I want to see your id when I deliver. I also am going to take a photograph of you with the item and your id as proof of delivery -

how about I pay you direct into paypal and you give me a discount?

no way Jose, on your bike, you scammer. you want me to deliver, free of charge, just my time, my petrol.... and now want a discount, now to pay by paypal and put in a claim for non receipt....

nope as I said no discount, it is a high value item and I expect to meet you with your id. i will take a photograph of you, your id and the item.

silence...... is ........ golden....... block list you go
    August 2017 £390.47
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 7th Jul 17, 10:29 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 3,014 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Does anyone find eBay actually works anymore? All u hear about r scammers? I have a few small bits to sell but don't want to deal with the hassle.
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 7th Jul 17, 11:50 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 10,991 Thanks
    Hermia
    Does anyone find eBay actually works anymore? All u hear about r scammers? I have a few small bits to sell but don't want to deal with the hassle.
    Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    Remember people who are happy with something are less likely to post about it on forums so you can't always get a true picture. I use ebay all the time and have never been scammed. I have my buyer preferences set as high as possible and I make sure my listings are honest with lots of photos so people know what they are getting. It does also depend on what you are selling. For example, I don't bother selling tech on ebay as it does attract the scammers.
    • newstartDMP
    • By newstartDMP 7th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    newstartDMP
    Hi, I would love to join.

I've just signed up to a DMP and need to find £208 to cover this (anything on top is obviously a bonus). £10 a day would be amazing, but really anything at this stage is helpful.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,809 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    so pleased to read this. I have had a problem with mine doing the same. the warning lights come on and a message. Nothing in handbook. we worked out the other day that when fuel tank is extremely low, ie past emergency fuel, the car doesnt like it. especially when parked on hills. I get it all.
    Originally posted by Aesop
    I hope you can get yours sorted, it's worrying isn't it? It's never happened to me before in all the years I've been driving this car. Well, apart from the obvious warnings that I haven't got my seatbelt on, one of the doors isn't properly closed or I'm low on petrol

This time the display said 'anti pollution fault' which made me think it was something to do with emissions etc. The symbol that lit up was for the exhaust system. I managed to work that bit out from the handbook when I got home but it didn't say anything else apart from 'drive carefully to the nearest garage'

The mechanic said it could have been the extreme heat that was playing havoc with the car's electrics/sensors as it was the hottest day of the year when it happened and I was out in it doing a lot of stop-start driving for most of the day. Anyway, it's alright now
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 08-07-2017 at 7:29 AM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Aug: £4112.05 Sept: £119.86
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th Jul 17, 7:27 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,809 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    so I have a high value item for sale on ebay. someone messaged could you post for delivery sat? yes I reply, as long as you pay today, this was thursday.

can you deliver? my car in garage. i am only around the corner from you.

yes I can deliver but I want to see your id when I deliver. I also am going to take a photograph of you with the item and your id as proof of delivery -

how about I pay you direct into paypal and you give me a discount?

no way Jose, on your bike, you scammer. you want me to deliver, free of charge, just my time, my petrol.... and now want a discount, now to pay by paypal and put in a claim for non receipt....

nope as I said no discount, it is a high value item and I expect to meet you with your id. i will take a photograph of you, your id and the item.

silence...... is ........ golden....... block list you go
    Originally posted by Aesop
    The nerve of some people. Good thing you're on the ball and could suss this scam out, Aesop. I wonder how many others fall for these scams though? It's a sad world we live in.

Sorry you didn't sell your item especially as it's a high-value one but there's always another day. Good Luck
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Aug: £4112.05 Sept: £119.86
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Jul 17, 8:39 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    QueenJess

I've just signed up to a DMP and need to find £208 to cover this (anything on top is obviously a bonus). £10 a day would be amazing, but really anything at this stage is helpful.
    Originally posted by newstartDMP
    Welcome newstartDMP. I am new here too, but been a lurker for a few weeks before that! Have a look at the debt forums as well as you can post your SOA (statement of affairs) and all the clever people on there can advise if there are savings you can make on your current expenses too.

Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    I seem to go through phases on eBay where I love it and sell lots and then get sick of it and stop selling for a while (a love hate relationship). I have been selling stuff for a couple of years and I haven't had any scammers and am careful to only post in the UK. However, the items I sell are rarely worth more than £10 and when they are I get a bit jumpy and keep evidence of postage and put on postage tracking.

I am loving the prolific site at the moment.. I have just over £15 (although much of it still waiting to be confirmed so no payout yet) in just 2 days! Maybe I was lucky! I saw others on vypr and citizenme which I am giving a go as I like very quick tasks I can dip in and out of (easier with a 5 month old baby), even if the payouts are small.

Am trying to get mySurvey up to £5 (currently at 350 points) and then will stop that one. I used to get £3 a week very regularly (before the limit raised to £5), but now I just get bombarded with surveys where I don't meet any requirements and so don't even get to £5 a month now. It isn't worth my time on that one anymore.

Got another 20p from Citizenme last night and got credit card cashback of £15.79 (ouch... was definitely too much spending going on in June..). Now up to £60.87. Fingers crossed this weekend for eBay sales.. Off to see if I like testing websites next on Whatusersdo. Have a good weekend everyone.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 8th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 10,991 Thanks
    Hermia
    Prolific Academic - £29.97
    Ebay - £2.93

£124.32/£300

I hope you can get yours sorted, it's worrying isn't it? It's never happened to me before in all the years I've been driving this car. Well, apart from the obvious warnings that I haven't got my seatbelt on, one of the doors isn't properly closed or I'm low on petrol

This time the display said 'anti pollution fault' which made me think it was something to do with emissions etc. The symbol that lit up was for the exhaust system. I managed to work that bit out from the handbook when I got home but it didn't say anything else apart from 'drive carefully to the nearest garage'

The mechanic said it could have been the extreme heat that was playing havoc with the car's electrics/sensors as it was the hottest day of the year when it happened and I was out in it doing a lot of stop-start driving for most of the day. Anyway, it's alright now
    It was a big warning light saga that led to me selling my car! I had been thinking I don't really need a car for a while and then the warning light saga started. The car also started acting strangely sometimes. I have a friend who owns a garage and he spent several hours working on it (at mate's rates thankfully). He also put it through all the computer tests and it said it could be dozens of issues. He was stumped. Sigh... It makes me think back to my first car which was just a big hunk of metal with an engine and was probably related to the Flintstones car! I had it for 12 years and because it didn't have any fancy computer/electronics in it it barely needed anything doing to it in 12 years. It passed every MOT and only ever needed new tyres, brake pads and windscreen wiper blades.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 8th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 10,991 Thanks
    Hermia
    Off to see if I like testing websites next on Whatusersdo. Have a good weekend everyone.
    Originally posted by QueenJess
    The tests are few and far between, but they are quick and easy to do. The people who run the site also seem to be on the ball and quick to respond to issues.
    • applepie*
    • By applepie* 8th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    applepie*
    I've joined up to vypr, quite liking how easy it is so far, just over 7000 points so hoping to reach 1000 soon. Tried to join the postal ones but they didn't want my postcode :-(

40p from citizen me
    £15 from selling my maternity clothes

It's a start but don't think I'm gonna manage anything near £5 a day!
    • angelicious
    • By angelicious 8th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    angelicious
    Morning all,

Sorry I haven't been posting much, just seem to get out of the way of it and then it's ages since I've last posted. Off to a slow start for July £143 so far. Have a good lot of overtime booked for the rest of the month though so not too worried yet lol!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still no movement on the selling front so need to make a start somehow with this.

Hope you're all doing well. Have a nice weekend everyone
    Make £10 a month Sept '17 £0/1000 Aug '17 £708/1000 July '17 £450.00/1000 June '17 787/1000May'17 £1067.05/1000 April '17 £456/1500 Mar '17 £709.00/310, Jan '17 £104/310, Feb '17 £437.55/280
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND #200. £20/1000
    Emergency 3-6 month fund £1100/7200
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 8th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 10,991 Thanks
    Hermia
    WeBuyBooks is offering 15% extra this weekend if you sell via the app. The code is APPX15.
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 23,270 Posts
    • 152,398 Thanks
    Aesop
    I've joined up to vypr, quite liking how easy it is so far, just over 7000 points so hoping to reach 1000 soon. Tried to join the postal ones but they didn't want my postcode :-(

40p from citizen me
    £15 from selling my maternity clothes

It's a start but don't think I'm gonna manage anything near £5 a day!
    Originally posted by applepie*
    don't get disheartened. It doesn't matter if you don't reach your £5 a day.

Anything you achieve is more than you already had and it all helps. That extra may go towards bills/hilidays/baby items etc.

Stay positive and keep on going.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 8th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,167 Thanks
    lynnejk

Originally posted by newstartDMP
    Hiya - I've added you to the challengers' list - see post 8 - and good luck with making loadsa monies.
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1795....SEPT=189.80/150
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1337....SEPT=102.84/200
    Bulk buy.......SEPT=13.48
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....SEPT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -5/8 ......CC =840......Savings = £9250
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 23,270 Posts
    • 152,398 Thanks
    Aesop
    I sold items totalling over £100 before fees over last 60 days.

This is was just one git. Being round the corner they could have got tube to meet me or I could have got tube to meet them.

I had another buyer message me Wednesday to advise item not received. Fine I said, should have received it by now, posted last week. Would you mind waiting until Friday and if still not received I will contact Royal Mail

Buyer said yes will do with a nice message reply.

Friday they messaged to say item had finally arrived, they were really pleased as item brand new unused and sent me a photograph of envelope.

Looks like it got damaged by royal mail machinery hence the delay.

And buyer left me positive feedback.

So 2 out of 60 sales with scammers is good going.

also what scammers didn't realise is that by keeping whole conversation on ebay messages, ebay can view them and see what was happening
    August 2017 £390.47
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

8,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin