Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eits88
    • By eits88 30th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 9Thanks
    eits88
    Court summons for civil enforcement ltd
    • 30th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    Court summons for civil enforcement ltd 30th Jun 17 at 5:18 PM
    Hi everyone, I would love some help, I'm new to all this but have been reading the posts on here extensively.

To be brief on what happened - our car was parked inside a CEL car park where there the first 10 mins are free. While in there, our son was sick and vomited everywhere, and this caused a delay getting back to the car. When we got back to the car park a ticket was purchased because it was apparent our car had overstayed, so it was purchased to cover any overstay, if you like.

About a month or so later the first letter arrived. I responded by writing an "appeal", telling them exactly what happened. This was refused of course.

Thereafter the usual followed, letters from whoever, threats, requests to pay, etc.. I ignored them all. Finally a letter before court was received which I also ignored and now a court claim against us for £350, including the usual £50 legal fees, £25 court fees, etc...

I have been on MCOL and registered my intention to defend myself for all. I am now stuck as to what I should be sending in to the court and CEL as my defence. I'm worried that these generic, but adapted defences are now so common that maybe they have found a way to contest them successfully - is this the case?

Can someone please point me to the right defence script to adapt and send, as in, a recent one.

Does anyone know if CEL have actually gone to court and won one of these? Also, what happens if they decide not to take it further, does the court let us know of this, or do we need to wait 6 years?

I plan to fight CEL all the way, as a matter of principle. I plan to document all the steps and proceedings on this thread so as to give back to the forum and help others in the same position as me.

Many thanks, most grateful for any help whatsoever.

eits88
    Last edited by eits88; 01-07-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typos
Page 3
    • eits88
    • By eits88 3rd Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    eits88
    Have just emailed my defence to the court and will follow up with a phone call to ensure they received it. I guess I just sit tight now and wait for something to happen....?

I will keep this thread up to date with any further developments. Thank you to those who are helping with this, it is most appreciated.

Best,
    • eits88
    • By eits88 4th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    eits88
    I sent my defence by email and received an automated response to say it was received. Today I called and they confirmed receipt. I checked MCOL and it now shows "defence received".

Can those who know please tell me how long approximately from this stage does the anything happen? When does the questionnaire arrive?

Many thanks in advance.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 48,246 Posts
    • 61,732 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Maybe in a month, going by other cases at the mo.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• eits88
    • By eits88 7th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    eits88
    Got a letter today to say my defence was officially received and placed on file. It will be sent to. Claimant and they then have 28 days to take it further otherwise it will be classed as "stayed" and thereafter they need to apply to the court to remove the stay. Will keep you posted!
    • Bemused14
    • By Bemused14 7th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bemused14
    how to start a new thread? please excuse my ignorance and i am thankful for everyone's help here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,433Posts Today

9,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin