Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 30th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 2,082Posts
    • 3,435Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    MSE showing as dangerous in Google Chrome
    • 30th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    MSE showing as dangerous in Google Chrome 30th Jun 17 at 3:53 PM
    Just a heads up that I am getting a warning from Google Chrome reporting this as a deceptive site and that details are not secure.

Unfortunately unable to copy and paste the full warning, but the gist is:-
    Deceptive site ahead.
    Attackers on c95735.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com may trick you into something dangerous etc etc

Google Safe Browsing recently detected phishing on c95735.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com etc. etc.

Firefox reports that logins could be compromised.

Safari doesn't show any problems that I can see.
Page 1
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 30th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 10,968 Posts
    • 14,300 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 30th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    This may or not be related, but I've been getting "Your connection to this site is not secure" when I click on the "i" symbol next to the site address in Chrome 59.0.3071.115 (64-bit version) ever since the last update took my system to that version.

Screenshot here:

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 30th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 7,246 Posts
    • 7,279 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 30th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    How many threads do we have on this now..?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 30th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 10,968 Posts
    • 14,300 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 30th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    Well, the official one that MSE Andrea posted is now on page 2, so it obviously can't be that important an issue.
    Married to an immigrant.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 1st Jul 17, 4:34 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 1st Jul 17, 4:34 AM
    • 1st Jul 17, 4:34 AM
    Originally posted by pogofish
    I hadn't seen any other threads regarding my issue, but I did have a quick check.
    I did see the other thread which Mothballs has also posted on. However, I have not seen a thread regarding the huge full page red google chrome warning, which I had yesterday afternoon, warning of unsafe site.
    The red page that I had yesterday is now gone this morning, but the "not secure" in forum url is still there, as per the other thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5595834
    • Jabba_flabba
    • By Jabba_flabba 1st Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Jabba_flabba
    • 1st Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    Anne_Marie's right, this is a separate problem from the "no SSL issue" that there are a few threads on.

Anne_Marie: what you've seen is Google Chrome's Safe Browsing feature. Take a look at https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/news/cybercrime-and-digital-threats/google-now-warns-against-social-engineering-content

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ is pulling its Museo Slab web fonts from https://moneysavingexpert.scdn3.secure.raxcdn.com
    ..but I can't see any references to the particular subdomain rackcdn.com URL you mention.

I guess it's either gone away because something changed at the site end, or perhaps your Chrome updated itself between when you reported the problem and now, yielding slightly more relaxed deception detection.

I believe the Chrome (v59) setting that pertains to Safe browsing is under 3 dots > Settings > Advanced > Privacy & Security > Protect you and your device from dangerous sites (toggle). For me it was off by default, but turning it on doesn't yield me the big red screen when I visit http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

As for the "Not secure" / "Your connection to this site is not secure" that's totally to be expected at the moment. For interest, the original thread I started on this dates to the back end of last year:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5567176
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 1st Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    Thanks for all the detail there Jabba_flabba. Will have a look at those links.

I did know that the issue I had was different to that already reported.

Thought that I had better report it, as not everyone would go through checking through various browsers to check and would just not visit this site with such a warning.

Anyway, all good with me now. Thanks for taking the time to reply with useful information.

Originally posted by pogofish
    One, as far as I know, unless you know of others, and you can point me in the right direction.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 20,431 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    Hi Anne_Marie

I'm sorry for the delay replying.

Are you (or anyone else) still seeing this message?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 4th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:58 PM

I believe the Chrome (v59) setting that pertains to Safe browsing is under 3 dots > Settings > Advanced > Privacy & Security > Protect you and your device from dangerous sites (toggle). For me it was off by default, but turning it on doesn't yield me the big red screen when I visit http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/
    Originally posted by Jabba_flabba
    I had this issue and the setting was set at on. I amended the setting to off and was then able to get onto this site

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 20,431 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Thanks Frogletina!

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 4th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 10,968 Posts
    • 14,300 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I'm still getting the "i" symbol in the address bar and I don't want to turn the setting off.
    Married to an immigrant.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 8,328 Posts
    • 20,431 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Thanks Mothballswallet!

Is anyone else getting this?

Join the MSE Forum
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 4th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I'm still getting the i symbol too
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• Jabba_flabba
    • By Jabba_flabba 5th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Jabba_flabba
    I'm still getting the "i" symbol in the address bar and I don't want to turn the setting off.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    1/ You'll see the (i) Not secure message to the left of the URL bar in Chrome just so long as this website is served unencrypted. There's nothing you can do about this. It's all part of Google's attempt to draw attention to sites that continue to serve plain http, and to encourage adoption of SSL.

2/ Leaving Chrome's Safe Browsing setting enabled is the right thing to do, even if disabling it appears to fix the big red warning page that Anne_Marie was seeing. Disabling it is disabling a browser security feature, and may make your browser vulnerable to deception attempts.
    • Jabba_flabba
    • By Jabba_flabba 5th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Jabba_flabba
    I had this issue and the setting was set at on. I amended the setting to off and was then able to get onto this site
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    That sounds as expected.

I'd advise turning the setting back on and seeing if you can access this site now without hitting the big red warning page (things may have changed since you originally tried it). Ideally you want to leave this setting on.

I can reach http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com just fine with the setting turned on.
    • Jabba_flabba
    • By Jabba_flabba 5th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Jabba_flabba
    A bit of digging shows that this site is currently okay:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=forums.moneysavingexpert.com

...meaning, right now, safe browsing enabled Chrome users should be able to reach this site (in theory!)
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 6th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    Frogletina
    That sounds as expected.

I'd advise turning the setting back on and seeing if you can access this site now without hitting the big red warning page (things may have changed since you originally tried it). Ideally you want to leave this setting on.

I can reach http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com just fine with the setting turned on.
    Hi Jabba

I have turned it back on and I'm not getting the warning now

thanks for your advice

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman

• MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 10,968 Posts
    • 14,300 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    1/ You'll see the (i) Not secure message to the left of the URL bar in Chrome just so long as this website is served unencrypted. There's nothing you can do about this. It's all part of Google's attempt to draw attention to sites that continue to serve plain http, and to encourage adoption of SSL.

2/ Leaving Chrome's Safe Browsing setting enabled is the right thing to do, even if disabling it appears to fix the big red warning page that Anne_Marie was seeing. Disabling it is disabling a browser security feature, and may make your browser vulnerable to deception attempts.
    Thank you - we shouldn't have to turn a browser security feature off to access a web page because the people running it haven't sorted out the SSL adoption.
    Married to an immigrant.
    • Jabba_flabba
    • By Jabba_flabba 8th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Jabba_flabba
    Thank you - we shouldn't have to turn a browser security feature off to access a web page because the people running it haven't sorted out the SSL adoption.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    You're welcome, though I believe you're conflating two issues here:

The Safe Browsing feature of Chrome is about preventing you from reaching sites that may have been hijacked by malware, code injection, that sort of thing.

The lack SSL is about the privacy that you have - or in this case don't have - when you connect from your web browser to this site. Think of it like someone being able to listen in on your phone conversation.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 19th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 49,408 Posts
    • 135,131 Thanks
    colinw
    The only dangerous thing on this site is my music taste
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

9,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin