Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • juxepe
    • By juxepe 30th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 48Thanks
    juxepe
    ***Help a Canadian visitor with a PPT please!***
    • 30th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    ***Help a Canadian visitor with a PPT please!*** 30th Jun 17 at 2:30 PM
    Hello all, I've read a lot of the posts but haven't found one that addresses my situation directly, so here it is:

The facts:

-Rental car from Easirent, to be returned on July 2, when I leave the UK
    -2 PCNs from UK Car Park Management (CPM), dated 27 and 28 June (I wasn't using the car then, had not seen the PCNs until the 29th)
    -I had displayed a resident permit on my windshield, though I'm not sure of its validity, it does look old, and is dated from Sept 2015, though there is no expiration date on it. There is a serial number, which I don't know what it refers to.

The PCNs:

Issue reason 1: Invalid Permit
    Issue reason 2: Not Displaying a Valid Permit

The vehicle was parked on private property in contravention of the site parking restrictions as displayed on the signage or permit. A PARKING CHARGE OF 100 GBP IS DUE WITHIN 28 DAYS OF THE DATE OF ISSUE. Reduced amount of 60 blah blah I'm sure you all know the rest.

Other details:

I'm visiting the UK and staying at my brother in law's place in St Albans (while he's out of the country), and he lent me a Resident Permit sticker. In the residential complex there's overground parking space, but for only 25 or so cars (there's at least 200 apartments there!). I've parked my rental there before with no problems. But then on the 26th I couldn't find any space overground, so I went into the underground, which I thought residents could park in. The only sign where I parked says 'No Contractor Parking' or some such. It does say Private Parking when you enter the lot, but when you enter the entire residential complex it says Resident Parking only, which I assumed meant Private Parking = Residents Parking. As I had a Residents sticker, I thought it wouldn't be a problem. FYI my brother in law doesn't have a car so he doesn't know the rules, he just handed me the sticker and told me I can park with that displayed.

As I am not a UK resident, and I'm about to leave the UK in 2 days, here are the options I'm considering:

1- Pay the 'reduced' 60 pounds for both tickets, and sleep easy knowing I don't have to deal with this again (yes yes, I've read all the posts mocking the idiots that pay these things!). I'm not partial to this option though.

2- Cancel my credit card when I get home, so the rental company cannot charge me once they inevitably pay the PCN (repercussions? I'll never be able to rent from Easirent again or what?)

3- Tell the rental company I've been issued a PCN and that it is NOT a ticket, and that they should not pay it (though I'm sure they will, and then tack on some sort of admin/fine fee, 50 pounds if I'm not mistaken).

4- I don't see me going through the appeal process as I'm not a UK resident. What other options do I have?

PS. After I saw the PCNs and got in my car, I noticed there was a film of grease or some such on the windshield (on the outside), and on the entire right side of the car, which initially looked like the windows were fogging up, but after unsuccessfully trying to use the wiper and the heater, I went out to wipe it by hand, and I could smell and feel the thing. What is that and where did it come from?? Made visibility horrible, and wont get off no matter how many times I use the wipers. I'll try using vinegar next...The PPC wouldn't have sprayed something on my car in spite would they?? They did leave nice stickers on my windshield ('You're Parked Here ILLEGALLY')...
    Last edited by juxepe; 30-06-2017 at 3:05 PM.
Page 4
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 14,636 Posts
    • 23,028 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    will contribute more to the forums where I can have an input - maybe another foreign visitor like me needs help
    That would be really helpful. There's not that many of us regulars here, so every informed contribution is more than welcome.

And given the time zone difference, you could do our night shift, it will allow Coupon-mad to get to bed a bit earlier!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,706 Thanks
    beamerguy
    And given the time zone difference, you could do our night shift, it will allow Coupon-mad to get to bed a bit earlier!
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Love it Umk, a 24 hour anti scam service
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • juxepe
    • By juxepe 16th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    juxepe
    Haha will do!

I spoke too early though, Easirent just replied:

"As per our terms and conditions, an admin fee of £55 is applied to all motoring offences received.

You also sign a payment authorisation form which states:

I hereby agree to any additional charges that may result from :

Traffic offences. An administration charge of £55 per parking offences PLUS the penalty charge (where necessary), any penalty charges for speeding/road traffic offences (including bus lane offences & London Congestion Charge) and any other traffic infringement.

I have attached a copy of your rental agreement and payment authorisation form for you.

However, if your appeal with UK Car Park Management is successful and they cancel this penalty, please forward cancellation to myself, and I will be able to raise a credit with our leasing company."

They don't quit, these people!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,706 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Traffic offences. An administration charge of £55 per parking offences PLUS the penalty charge (where necessary), any penalty charges for speeding/road traffic offences (including bus lane offences & London Congestion Charge) and any other traffic infringement.
    Originally posted by juxepe
    A private parking ticket is not a Traffic offence or infringement
    I note they do not mention private land to which none of
    the above applies

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • juxepe
    • By juxepe 16th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    juxepe
    Thanks. My response to the email:

I understand and agree that I agreed to the T&C of paying for motoring offences and parking charges - however Easirent needs to understand Private Parking Companies CANNOT and DO NOT issue fines/tickets, they can give me invoices only.

IT is NOT a parking charge from a council, rather it is an invoice from a Private Company that claims I have breached their parking terms, which I am disputing. They have NO authority to issue fines/tickets, as they not enforceable. In your T&Cs I've noted you haven't mentioned private land, to which parking offences and infringements don't apply.

Please see section 56 schedule 4 in the POFA Act 2012, linked here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/pdfs/ukpga_20120009_en.pdf

Furthermore UK CPM had no right to contact you for my details as I had already appealed to them and they had my address and full details at hand. My right in this can also be found under section 56 schedule 4.

Therefore Easirent must first identify Private Parking Tickets in its T&Cs before charging me an admin fee - and as such your admin fee does not apply to me in this case and I again ask you to reverse it as I am challenging it.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,706 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Be very interesting to see how they reply, infact it will
    very difficult for them to add anything on top of
    their T&C's after the event

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 50,173 Posts
    • 63,550 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    If you haven't sent that email yet, I would change:

I understand and agree that I agreed to the T&C of paying for motoring offences, bus lane fines and parking charges traffic infringements.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• juxepe
    • By juxepe 16th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    juxepe
    If you haven't sent that email yet, I would change:
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Ah sorry, too late I'd already sent it out
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 50,173 Posts
    • 63,550 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    OK, I was just concerned you've said you agree they can act on 'parking charges' and this is one.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• juxepe
    • By juxepe 19th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    juxepe
    Update, their reply:

As previously explained, if you have this cancelled we will gladly refund the admin fee on receipt of a cancellation notice.

I cannot help you further with this, please contact customer.services@easirent.com for further complaints.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 19th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,706 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Update, their reply:

As previously explained, if you have this cancelled we will gladly refund the admin fee on receipt of a cancellation notice.

I cannot help you further with this, please contact customer.services@easirent.com for further complaints.
    So one would imagine that you can now go to your credit
    card company and place the charge in dispute which is due
    to their T&C's not referring to parking on private land.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 19th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Which is exactly what weve said you owuld need to do all along.

Make it absolutely clear to your CC company that this is PRIVATE land, that these aer not fines or anything similar, theyre just an invoice, and as such are not covered by the t&c you signed up to.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 50,173 Posts
    • 63,550 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    And reply to Easirent and ask if you have exhausted their complaints procedure, because you wish to use the BVRLA dispute resolution.

• Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 19th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    Easirent's reply makes no sense.
    they imply if you get the charge overturned then they are obliged to refund the admin fee. But the admin has been incurred regardless because they've received and acted on a communication. So either they are obliged to refund it now, or they aren't.
    The wording in the t&cs clearly doesn't cover private parking tickets, which are alleged contractual charges and not fines or traffic "offences"
    Charge back from credit card is the way to go
    • juxepe
    • By juxepe 20th Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    juxepe
    I've submitted a ticket with my credit card company, hope this works out.

Thanks all!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 20th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 7,706 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I've submitted a ticket with my credit card company, hope this works out.

Thanks all!
    I would imagine they will as you did not authorise this
    as there were no terms that were applicable

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 20th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Howver, you will have to make them understand this - they are not fines, they are not penalty charges, they are merely an invoice. Nothing more, nothing less.
    • juxepe
    • By juxepe 21st Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    juxepe
    Update, they responded to my last email:

"I wouldn’t say you have exhausted our motoring offence appeal procedure, no.

But as previously explained without a cancellation notice I am unable to process a refund.

For further complaints please contact customer.services@easirent.com"
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Sep 17, 12:03 AM
    • 50,173 Posts
    • 63,550 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Charge back from credit card is the way to go
    Try this then ^^^ above - and email customer.services@easirent.com to ask for a copy of their formal complaints procedure and how to escalate a dispute with the BVRLA. They'll love that idea (not!).

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 22nd Sep 17, 2:32 AM
    • 7,301 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Update, they responded to my last email:

"I wouldn’t say you have exhausted our motoring offence appeal procedure, no.

But as previously explained without a cancellation notice I am unable to process a refund.

For further complaints please contact customer.services@easirent.com"
    as a non UK resident you are unable to use the services of the IPC , further more you are unable the appear in court where the case would be thrashed out by a judge as court papers cannot be served on a non UK resident

please advise alternate ways to get this cancelled or sorted

yours

$%^&* off of canada

HOWEVER ,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,075Posts Today

8,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin