Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 30th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 326Posts
    • 2,372Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries July 2017
    • 30th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries July 2017 30th Jun 17 at 1:10 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to mcculloch29 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
Page 5
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 13th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Two UUs to report:

Paula’s Choice Calm Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin sample WMBA. This was nice. I might buy a full size for the days were I'm feeling a bit oily.

Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde Reconstructor 750ml WDBA. I'm calling it quits on this as I can't reach the last bit in the bottom of the bottle. This is amazing, it helps my hair so much.

I've got one use of my cleansing balm left, so that will be finished tonight
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 13th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 10,716 Thanks
    Hermia
    Some UUs

Scottish Soap Co soap - lovely, WBA.

White Linen perfume - this was a gift, but WNB. It was way too strong and reminded me of old ladies.

Patisserie De Bain Cranberries and Cream body lotion - WNBA as it is really hard to rub in.
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 13th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    WJN222
    UU 14: Elemis Fragapanni Body Balm - lovely lovely lovely - happy to use when coming in a set but ot sure I would purchase on its pwn
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 415 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 12.5lb of 28
    Clear the stash July OUT : IN = 7:1
    • VALM
    • By VALM 13th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 34,558 Thanks
    VALM
    2 uus 1 ta
    UUs:-

75ml M&S Lavender shower gel. Nice. WNBA probably. Have a big stash of shower gel.

L'Occitane shampoo. WBA when I put in another order with them.

TA : Mini Bottle of Sephora by OPI How Cute is that
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • Massa1982
    • By Massa1982 13th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Massa1982
    A few UU's to report

Superdrug spearmint & sea salt shower gel - WBA, cheap cheerful & does the job.
    Superdrug Raspberry ripple showergel - WBA but not for a while the sweetness of the smell starts to grate after a while and now I need a change.
    Manuka Dr Face mask sample - wnb it was more like a cream than a mask and it didn't seem to do anything noticeable to the skin.

Found a lush tub with a long forgotten about piece of karma shampoo, my hair has not seemed as greasy, although I'm not sure if its just a case of the change in brand/type of shampoo rather than getting to the roots of the issue.
    Desperately Determined to Destroy the Debts one at a time.. and Seriously Save for the Spectacular future.
    • London baby
    • By London baby 13th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    London baby
    Uus:

Crabtree & Evelyn Aubergine nail polis
    h: WNBA, expected better for the price.

Mamado Aromatherapy 100% Pure Coconut Oil
    : WMBA, was experimenting between this and Rosehip oil. I think Rosehip oil is better for my skin.

M
    oschino Toujours Glamour body lotion: Included with perfume. WNBA, very watery.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 14th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Two UUs from last night:

The Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Butter 90ml WDBA. This is amazing. Definitely buying again and have. It's lovely and gentle.

Paula’s Choice Calm Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin sample WMBA as a full size. This was nice and non drying, which is surprising.

I'm on a roll with using things up this month. I know most of them are samples, but I've got a lot of full size products that are going to be finished this month.
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 14th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Hi all,

God really didn't stick with this did I! Also sliggghhhhhttttllllyyyt falling off the wagon and feel old bad habits of shopping during times of change, or times of feeling low, creeping in.

Some ins
    Samples:
    Random TBS shampoo
    Chantecaile (sp?!) clay mask
    Laura Mercier Candlelight Glow Foundation

Bought:
    Above foundation, sample was so could try first
    Nuxe tissue of cleanser to remove my makeup
    A random longwear L'Or!al lipstick I did not need and I regret a bit as now not sure of the colour, swiped lovely and lasted for so long on my hand thought it would be good
    Suncream

I have UU
    The mask sample - WNB was nice but it literally stained and messed up everything I touched I had to clean the bath and the sink and it ruined a wash cloth I tried to help removed it with!! Nightmare and probably insanely expensive.

Trying the foundation sample, unsure if it's too dark or too orange. I was colour matched and looked great in store but it is less yellow and a bit darker than my usual one.
    • mad_scientist
    • By mad_scientist 14th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 4,430 Thanks
    mad_scientist
    Don't be too hard on yourself houseplant, if you're feeling a bit down and buying a new lipstick cheers you up then there are worse things you could do!
    Maybe the new colour will grow on you ;-)

I'm sure we all have many impulse purchases we regret later lol
    No more buying unnecessary toiletries, started May 2017 - 37UU
    • mad_scientist
    • By mad_scientist 14th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 4,430 Thanks
    mad_scientist
    I haven't checked in all week so I'm here to report my UU!

10. OPI Avojuice 30ml Jasmine - WNB, this is useless stuff as a hand lotion so I use it up shaving my legs. 2 mini bottles left but I'm switching to the dregs of my conditioner to shave my legs with now because the 400ml bottle is annoying me.

11. Colgate mini toothpaste - kept at work, WNB think it was free from the dentist but the travel size toothpastes are way too expensive for how much you get in them.

12. Dove Gofresh Cucumber roll on deo - WMBA, my HG is Mitchum but their 100ml tube is too big for travelling so I had this for holidays. I do like the smell of cucumber but it's a weird scent to pick for a deo in my opinion!

13. No 7 Instant Radiance concealer - WPNBA, I don't feel this has enough coverage for my undereyes. I don't have really dark circles but it doesn't seem to do anything really!

I'm hoping for some more UU this weekend. I need to get a shift on with them because 2 weeks today I will be in Japan on holiday!
    And before that I need to clear out and pack up all my belongings from my flat in Hong Kong I hate packing and moving, I really do
    No more buying unnecessary toiletries, started May 2017 - 37UU
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 14th Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One cheeky IN today:

Bioderma Photoderm Spot Creme SPF50 30ml

I'm really excited to try this, the sample was great, so I'm hoping it's amazing.
    • asset2004
    • By asset2004 14th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 17,636 Thanks
    asset2004
    Been MIA for several weeks, in fact can't remember if I posted last month or not!
    My new job has been manic and not been at home or online much but did make some progress this week as I made up some gift parcels using a host of No7 products.
    Does anyone remember the £5 off voucher from a couple of years ago (maybe 4 I think?) where you could use 2 No7 vouchers and get three items for hardly anything??
    Well I did end up with quite a few (ahemm!) and UU progress was so slow so I had a brainwave last week and made them up as gifts to colleagues whom have helped me at an event I was organising - so have got rid of about 25ish products!
    Feel quite relieved as I had no idea how I'd get to UU them all up! Plus it was too good to throw out but wrapped in clear cellophane with frilly bows looked quite nice
    Anyway I still have lots of spares of everything and my stash hardly looks like I've made any inroads into it!
    Last edited by asset2004; 15-07-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    • lucia22
    • By lucia22 15th Jul 17, 1:43 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    lucia22
    A slow month however no INs so far. Have several items which are close to being used up so I'm confident they'll be gone by the end of the month. What's stopped me buying stuff is the fact I want to de-clutter. All my toiletries have actually spilled over into boxes outside the storage trollies. The first goal is to reduce the stash enough to fit everything into the storage trollies!

UU
    Original Source Watermelon & Jojoba Oil Body Butter 200ml - I got this cheap in Savers and it was lovely. I liked the fresh subtle scent. It's not too thick which is good for this time of year. WDBA. Will use up stuff I already have first though.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017 (Total 2016 UU - 211)
    Toiletries Total UU to end of June - 72
    |July - UU - 2| Makeup Total UU to end of June - 3
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 15th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU from this morning:

Paula’s Choice Calm SPF30 Mineral Moisturiser sample WMBA. This was nice. It leaves a bit of a white cast but it does disappear.
    • shed35
    • By shed35 16th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    shed35
    Hi

This is my first update in July:

UU
    Dove Magonlia and Pastashio Body Wash
    Avon Supreme Oi Conditioner
    Superdrug B Glycolic Peel
    Avon Suncare Sensitive Suncream SPF 50
    Body Shop Satsuma Shower Gel
    Westlab Espom Salt
    Tea Tree Oil

In
    Asda Little Angels Body Oil
    Korres Wild Rose Facial Oil x 2
    Avon Preimum De Luxe Gold Blush Parfum x 3

Total = 85

There are has been more ins as Marks and Spencer are doing a 2 for 1 on Korres Facial Oil. £30 bottle cost £15 each due to the offer and I had 20% off my Spark card so cost £12 each. Fantastic bargain. This my replacement for the Ojon oil when it runs out (really sad) and will use on my hair and face.

I had to stock up on my perfume from Avon as it was in the clearance book. It such a beautiful perfume and amazing reviews and at lost why they look like that they going discontinue it. I going to complain!
    Last edited by shed35; 16-07-2017 at 6:34 PM.
    • fudgesmoothies
    • By fudgesmoothies 16th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    fudgesmoothies
    A quick update before i'm off on holiday tomorrow, hopefully with lots of UU at the end of it!

UU:

Treacle Moon Marshmallow Bubble Bath. WDBA.
    Palmolive Mint Shake Shower Cream WDBA.
    Soap and Glory Clean on Me Shower Gel mini WBA.
    Fearne Body Scrub Years old from a gift set but was actually really nice!
    Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil WDBA, but i am enjoy a NYX one so we shall see.
    Clarins One Step Purifying Cleanser WNB. I disliked the smell more than anything and its too expensive for what it is.
    La Vie Belle Perfume Sample WNB

I feel like i'm making slow progress this month, however it's very likely my living situation will have to change before the end of the year so i really need to make some effort decluttering once i'm back.
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 16th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    sunny_money
    Tested all my concealers today, took photos. Honestly don't think any made a difference / don't really like the different texture they give. I have very bad dark circles, tempted to try orange concealer but all the you tube video uses several other concealers and setting powder on top so not sure if I just want to give up on concealers for good or take the time to figure out some serious full coverage solution . I'm definitely going to sell / GA one though: Max Factor Eye Illuminizer, doesn't blend well.
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 17th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    WJN222
    morning all

UU 15 over the weekend: Redken Extreme Cat spray - WNBA, there was no noticeable difference using this.

on a roll this month!
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 17th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Couple of things to report -
    GA - the two hypnose drama mascaras. Tried one and it did nothing for me whatsoever,so gave them both to my mum. Who in turn gave me some of my INS:
    1. bourjois 1 second volume mascara (my HG). Mine is on its last legs so this was a very good NBI!
    2. Palmolive shower gel as mine is almost out
    3. aldi hand cream for my desk at work
    4. caudalie hand cream (also from my mum)
    5. Aldi spray on body moisturiser - I'm staying at my bf's this week and ran out of my moisturiser

UU -
    1. Charles Worthington hair mask, this was in a purple tub. It was fine, my mum gave it to me half opened, would buy if on offer but not at full price.
    2. Lancome bi-facil - HG, already bought back ups
    3. Garnier 7 days intensive moisturiser - I buy this one a lot. Used up at the bf's, I'm moisturising every day atm to keep my tan from holiday (been about a month now but it's still hanging on, partly because of the moisturising I think!)
    House Deposit:£10,309.90/£15,000 = 68.73% Money Made'17 July:
    £4.95
    June: £5.35 May:£30.30April: £51.09March:£28.25Feb: £120.47 Jan:£14.35
    Total Made '16:£284.60
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 18th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    WJN222
    I am still on a roll!

UU 16: Pureology repair WPBA: this was nice enough to smooth down ends etc but have tried better products.

hand cream on my desk at work is on its last legs too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,622Posts Today

7,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin