Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deccoman
    • By Deccoman 30th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Deccoman
    Claiming the cost of the contents of a fridge due to insurance right-offs
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    Claiming the cost of the contents of a fridge due to insurance right-offs 30th Jun 17 at 11:37 AM
    Hi, can someone help regarding my consumer rights please? My Hotpoint fridge has been declared a right-off after 5 unsuccessful attempts by Hotpoint engineers to fix it. My Repaircare policy does not cover the contents so I have contacted the claims dept at Hotpoint stating that I have had to dispose of the contents twice after repairs by the said engineers did not solve the problem. Hotpoint have said they are not liable as the fridge was more than 12 months old and have offered me a £15 Sainsburys voucher as a goodwill gesture. Bearing mind, i was assured the fridge was working and keeping the food cold I discovered that this was NOT the case. Do I have any further action I can take regarding the paltry offer (the food replaced cost approx £100)?
    Help please.
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 30th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 15,304 Posts
    • 11,116 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    That old chestnut.
    Presumably you kept photos of the ruined food..
    • Deccoman
    • By Deccoman 30th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deccoman
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    Yes we have photos although they have not asked for these but instead just gave us a standard "On your bike" answer. Our fridge is being replaced at no extra cost so why not the contents?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 30th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 30th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    Did you buy this appliance from Hotpoint?

How old is it?

Who did you buy it from?

How did you buy it? By card?
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 30th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 30th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    You did cover food on house contents policy, didn't you?
    • Deccoman
    • By Deccoman 30th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deccoman
    • 30th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    Did you buy this appliance from Hotpoint?

How old is it?

Who did you buy it from?

How did you buy it? By card?
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    You did cover food on house contents policy, didn't you?
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    Bought from John Lewis, and it's 4 years old. Although covered on house contents I feel that having had 5 visits from "Hotpoint Engineers" they were morally (foolish I know) liable. Even one of the engineers was going to process the loss.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 30th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 4,684 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 30th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    Bought from John Lewis, and it's 4 years old. Although covered on house contents I feel that having had 5 visits from "Hotpoint Engineers" they were morally (foolish I know) liable. Even one of the engineers was going to process the loss.
    Originally posted by Deccoman
    So you got the repairs under warranty as opposed to your statutory rights?
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 30th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 35,523 Posts
    • 45,721 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 30th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    Sounds a bit OTT to be honest £100 for wasted food.
    Probably most of it could have been used up or given away
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 30th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,512 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 30th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    Sorry but how did you loose 2x £50 worth of food. As said before surely some could have been frozen or eaten. What do you keep in your fridge that's worth that much?

I too don't think you got a claim. It's like asking the repairmen to pay for your meals out while the fridge was broken or for trips to the laundrette in case of a broken washing machine.

Sorry for all the hassle though
    • Deccoman
    • By Deccoman 9th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deccoman
    Hi, just managed to get back onto this thread. It pays to complain, Hotpoint (waste of space) didn't move on this claim. However, Legal & General were so appalled at our treatment by the aforementioned decided to compensate IN FULL for our loss, replaced the fridge with a higher spec and not only delivered it but also took the old one away for free. Happy happy happy. Thanks to all who replied. There is a god!!!!
    • Deccoman
    • By Deccoman 9th Jul 17, 3:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deccoman
    2 lots of food because, repairmen came and "fixed" so stocked fridge. Fridge not fixed loss 1. Repairmen came and "fixed again" weekend away and came back to find it not working. Loss 2.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 3,913 Posts
    • 4,236 Thanks
    robatwork
    Hi, just managed to get back onto this thread. It pays to complain, Hotpoint (waste of space) didn't move on this claim. However, Legal & General were so appalled at our treatment by the aforementioned decided to compensate IN FULL for our loss, replaced the fridge with a higher spec and not only delivered it but also took the old one away for free. Happy happy happy. Thanks to all who replied. There is a god!!!!
    I've been waiting for a proper miracle to show me the error of my heathen ways.

Given Hotpoint's record in the fridge department recently, I think that evidence is still on hold.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 9th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 4,684 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Isn't that the whole point of contents insurance?
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 9th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    How did Legal and General become involved?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,643Posts Today

6,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin