Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • herman2811
    • By herman2811 29th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    • 1,068Posts
    • 437Thanks
    herman2811
    Porting number nightmare - advice needed please
    • 29th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    Porting number nightmare - advice needed please 29th Jun 17 at 11:36 PM
    I was with Virgin Mobile, and got a PAC, which I gave to my new provider: The People's Operator (TPO).

As per TPO's procedure, I activated their sim before giving giving them the PAC, and was told the transfer usually happens the next working day but can take up to 3 days in "rare" case. More than 2 weeks later, I'm still waiting!

Soon after giving the PAC, the Virgin sim stopped working. Soon after that, the TPO sim stopped receiving calls/texts, although it does still allow me to make calls (with the TPO number).

I really need to keep the number I'm trying to transfer, but it's now been about 2.5 weeks since I haven't been contactable on both the TPO and Virgin numbers... Virgin say they have done everything required of them at their end, and TPO's customer service seem pretty useless, constantly telling me that they are working on it, and have escalated it, and that I simply have to wait 1-3 days each time they resubmit the port request.

Can anyone please advise?! I really don't want to lose the number I'm trying to port, but am concerned I will have to :-(
Page 1
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 30th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 30th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 30th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    Unfortunately most of the MVNO's rely on third parties for most of their background technological support including the porting of numbers, including porting. It's probable that this is done by 3 on TPO's behalf. I suggest you make a formal complaint to TPO, make sure you get a complaint number.

TPO's complaint's procedure can be found here: https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/Complaints
    Last edited by pmduk; 30-06-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typos
    • herman2811
    • By herman2811 30th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    herman2811
    • 30th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 30th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    Unfortunately most of the MVNO's rely on third parties for most of their background tefhnological support inluding the porting of numbers, including porting. It's probable that this is done by 3 on TPO's behalf. I suggest you make a formal complaint to TPO, make sure you get a complaint number.

TPO's complaint's procedure can be found here: https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/Complaints
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Thanks.
    Yes, TPO are using 3, and are basically fobbing me off saying they have done everything they can and are just waiting for 3 to sort it out.
    Pretty useless, frankly.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 30th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    It's probably the case that the issue is with 3 but it remains TPO's responsibility, if they try to fob you off with the problem being caused by 3 it is for them to sort. They should be on the case rather than letting it slide. Go down the formal complaint route.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 30th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 30th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    This is the problem with all MVNO's. The odds are there's one person at 3 that deals with all TPO's tech issues and they work through them in the order that arrive and the only way TPO can commutate with them is with email.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 30th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 30th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 3:14 PM
    It depends on the MVNO and the supplying network; BT Mobile has a sophisticated setup for its customer networks but they have quite a few networks they supply with services (through EE). You may however be correct about 3!
    • herman2811
    • By herman2811 30th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    herman2811
    • 30th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 30th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    It's probably the case that the issue is with 3 but it remains TPO's responsibility, if they try to fob you off with the problem being caused by 3 it is for them to sort. They should be on the case rather than letting it slide. Go down the formal complaint route.
    I've actually logged a complaint with Ofcom, who like you, suggested to open a complaint directly with TPO, which I have now done by email. Let's see what happens now...
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 1st Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 1st Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1st Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    Unfortunately Ofcom do not take on individual complaints but look at an analysis of complaints a network receives. If there are a slew of compaints for a network about porting it may lead to Ofcom action ie a fine or enforcement action. Make sure you get TPO's complaint number to ensure it has been properly recorded.
    • daddydodo
    • By daddydodo 3rd Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    daddydodo
    • 3rd Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    I shall be complaing too as my number has not ported. Similar story to OP but only 5 days without my number! I reckon I've ported my number around the different networks 6 times without any issue - until now. How can everyone else get it right but TPO make a balls up. Very frustrating.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 3rd Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    As described earlier the problem lies almost certainly with 3 not with TPO. Three has very few MVNOs to service and doesn't appear to have much experience in this area. Last year Virgin Mobile were rumoured to be considering to move to 3 but industry rumour has it the lack of 3's experience and consequent disruption to customers was seen as the major obstacle to this and a further contract was signed with BT Mobile.
    • daddydodo
    • By daddydodo 4th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    daddydodo
    As described earlier the problem lies almost certainly with 3 not with TPO. Three has very few MVNOs to service and doesn't appear to have much experience in this area. Last year Virgin Mobile were rumoured to be considering to move to 3 but industry rumour has it the lack of 3's experience and consequent disruption to customers was seen as the major obstacle to this and a further contract was signed with BT Mobile.
    My question would be - will I ever get my previous number back, or has it disappeared ....? Any ideas??
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 4th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    Yes, unless you have been told otherwise it would appear there is just a delay. Make sure you have a formal complaint number with TPO.
    • herman2811
    • By herman2811 5th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    herman2811
    My question would be - will I ever get my previous number back, or has it disappeared ....? Any ideas??
    Originally posted by daddydodo
    I'm concerned about this too - it's now been 3 weeks since my initial request! They haven't even responded yet to the official complaint I sent on Friday.
    • daddydodo
    • By daddydodo 6th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    daddydodo
    I'm concerned about this too - it's now been 3 weeks since my initial request! They haven't even responded yet to the official complaint I sent on Friday.
    Originally posted by herman2811
    Wow in that case I feel very fortunate as my number successfully ported yesterday after being unconnected for 6 days. Maybe it was a complete coincidence but I called them yesterday morning to lodge an official complaint, I got a ticket number over the phone and then also emailed them referencing this. 3 hours later my number port completed. Coincidence? Maybe. Good luck.
    • herman2811
    • By herman2811 6th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    herman2811
    Wow in that case I feel very fortunate as my number successfully ported yesterday after being unconnected for 6 days. Maybe it was a complete coincidence but I called them yesterday morning to lodge an official complaint, I got a ticket number over the phone and then also emailed them referencing this. 3 hours later my number port completed. Coincidence? Maybe. Good luck.
    Originally posted by daddydodo
    I got an automated response to my complaint email, so have at least got a ticket number. Still no response yet though.

Lucky you for it getting sorted - well done! Am jealous!
    • herman2811
    • By herman2811 6th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    herman2811
    I got an automated response to my complaint email, so have at least got a ticket number. Still no response yet though.

Lucky you for it getting sorted - well done! Am jealous!
    Originally posted by herman2811
    Oh my god, just checked again, and it's now working! FINALLY!!!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    I'm glad you both got it sorted eventually. It works properly most of the time but it's disconcerting when it doesn't
    • Janeyboo
    • By Janeyboo 12th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Janeyboo
    'In 'rare' cases my a**e
    So glad I stumbled across this thread. I'm still waiting for my old number to be transferred from 02 to The People's Operative.

After being told it would take '24' hours and in 'rare' cases - three working days - I rang up and was taken through 9 different options - none of which were, 'If you want to actually speak to a human - press X'. Finally got through to a 10 year old who told me that if 'it wasn't ported across today it would definitely happen tomorrow.'

Following this thread with interest . . .
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 7,463 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    pmduk
    Whatever else has happened you didn't speak to a 10 year old
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,586Posts Today

9,253Users online

Martin's Twitter