Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 29th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 52Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell the travel company they refunded me twice?
    • 29th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell the travel company they refunded me twice? 29th Jun 17 at 5:23 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I recently applied for a refund from a big travel company but ended up receiving the payment twice as I was dealing with separate customer service agents. Should I 'fess up or keep the money?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 8th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Yes. You shouldn't even have to think about it.

Here's another. You find £20 in a garage by a petrol pump; no obvious owner. What do you do?
    A. ignore it B. hand it in at the petrol station C1. put it in your pocket and treat it as if its yours C2. give it to a charity.
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 08-07-2017 at 12:10 AM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 8th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 9,617 Posts
    • 6,122 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Yes. You shouldn't even have to think about it.

Here's another. You find £20 in a garage by a petrol pump; no obvious owner. What do you do?
    A. ignore it B. hand it in at the petrol station C1. put it in your pocket and treat it as if its yours C2. give it to a charity.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    D. Pay for your petrol with it.....
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 8th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 12,531 Thanks
    tgroom57
    Petrol forecourts and railway stations have cctv.

• The Infamous Grouse
    • By The Infamous Grouse 9th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    The Infamous Grouse
    Yeah, it's not yours and legally you have to give it back. And here's the thing: even if you don't give it back and are never caught, you've still broken the law.

Whether your own ethics are in alignment with current legal policy is something only you can decide.

The worst aspect may be the hoops you have to jump through to return it. A few years ago Mrs. Grouse had an overpayment in the form of a double refund from a large organisation, and started proceedings to return it. Getting sensible feedback from the plethora of customer service reps she spoke with was a nightmare that stretched on for weeks, and at one point a particularly clueless rep actually offered a sincere apology before refunding the amount for a third time.

The temptation to reward their incompetence by just keeping the money was at times almost overwhelming but at the end of the day it wasn't ours, regardless of how institutionally inept the real owner was. But if we'd kept it, and it had been noted in an audit down the line, no amount of finger pointing or evidence of corporate buffoonery would have put us in the right.

When this sort of thing happens it's an annoyance, and even a temptation, but ultimately it's simply not your money.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 9th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    Considering how the vast majority of companies in UK pay no tax then yes, keep the money.

To those that say this is theft, so is not paying tax IMO but no one gives a damn about that do they?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    although a company might be making millions/billions a year, they are bothered by smaller duplicate payments.
    They might well chase such payments, even if the cost of doing so is more than the missing money.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    You find £20 in a garage by a petrol pump; no obvious owner. What do you do?
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/28/woman-who-found-20-on-the-floor-ended-up-with-a-criminal-record-for-pocketing-it-6477942/

The next scam will be for person A to drop some money, then person B films person C picking it up and reports them to the police.
    • mcfcchris
    • By mcfcchris 11th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mcfcchris
    **jgriggle**
    bit of a drama queen response, don't you think?

""It's almost certainly going to be an error made by a staff member who will have the amount taken from their wages, which will leave them unable to pay their bills.""

I'm surprised you didn't throw in that with no money coming in, they will be forced to eat their children.

Yes there is a small chance that someone could end up losing their job because of actions like this, but almost certainly?
    you really believe this?
    Last edited by mcfcchris; 11-07-2017 at 5:34 PM. Reason: quote marks added
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

8,492Users online

Martin's Twitter