Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Jun 17, 10:56 PM
    • 2,154Posts
    • 22,073Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST Joyful July
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:56 PM
    NST Joyful July 28th Jun 17 at 10:56 PM
    Ninja Saving Turtles

We are now half way through the year and how are we doing with our annual goals?

Congratulations to those on target with debt busting / diet and exercise and any other goals. Keep it going remembering to revise your target if your current stepping stone is getting too comfy.

For those who have drifted from their path (hangs head in shame) there are still six months of the year left. You have time to wipe the slate clean and make a fresh start. Be honest about why things have not worked out. Were your original goals too tough? Did things go to pot when everyday pressures kicked in? Did you have a beautiful plan with all the details worked out but then failed to apply them (me again)? Remember Hope is not a strategy.

If you are reeling from the blows that life has dealt you (hugs, more hugs and a sympathetic ear) just hang in there turtles. Revise your goals or write an emergency strategy if needed, do what you can – you will still get there, but for now you have to use the B roads not the motorway.

The turtle gang are all here to help, advise, celebrate with you, commiserate with you, hand out tissues and hugs as required. We even do lycra clad cheerleaders with pompoms.

So if you are a regular contender (turtle life can be tough and demanding), a recent convert or just finding your way and trying turtledom for the first time, welcome to

JOYFUL JULY

JOY Life has been hard recently. I have always found joy in the little things. Some of us find 3 things to be grateful for at the end of each day and you may find it useful too – you can add it to your daily post or just write it down privately. Some days are full of good things, some days are dreadful but if you think carefully you can pick out moments of joy – a ladybird, a child's glasses case in the shape of a shoe, a smile or thank you from a stranger.

Try to wake joyfully too. It can help to write your 'to do' list (and make other preparations) the night before, so that you have a clear idea of your coming day. If possible take a few moments of peace and calm and take that forward into your joyful day. Make joyful memories with your children during the holidays and share any free/ low cost fun ideas.

ORGANISE You should know your Debt Free Date or if debt free your savings goal (mortgage free plan/ early retirement goal). If you don't know, work it out or if it is too daunting or too far in the future, set a target for this year. Work out how much you need to put aside to achieve this and live on what is left over. Sort your budgets for the month before July 1st (if possible).

YOU It starts from here, it starts with YOU, it starts with now.
    I'm sorry but you are it. We may wish we had more money, a better job, weren't in this mess, more abc, less xyz. This is where you are. If you don't like it, change it. You can keep wishing or you can plan, decide what you want to do, set goals, break them down into small steps and start. Every small step helps even when you can't see the bigger picture.

Know yourself, your strengths and weaknesses.

If life has steam rollered over your plans, write new ones. Is it just temporary (hold your nerve, do what you can, resign yourself to being in a holding pattern until the crisis is over) or longer term (take a deep breath, eat from the cupboards, check through your annual budget).

FRUGAL The Frugalwoods are having another Uber Frugal Month Challenge
    http://www.frugalwoods.com/2017/06/19/the-uber-frugal-month-challenge-is-back-july-2017-edition/ . I haven't read a lot of their stuff (some is location specific) but this is a sort of 'how low could you go', cut out absolutely everything you possibly could. I might be signing up and thought it might help some of you facing a difficult month. It won't be for everyone but it might be good to spend some time considering just what you could do without 'if you had to'. I will probably use some of it for daily inspiration.

USE what you have. Start by auditing the cupboards, fridge and freezer. Make meal plan based on these. Cook from scratch. After sorting out your big bills, the food budget is often the area where you can make great savings.

LOOK after you. If you are it, it all depends on you, so look after yourself (especially if no-one else is likely to). Make time for a little pampering or just sit and reflect. Mental and physical wellbeing is important.

JULY Challenge runs from 1st to 31st July.

UNLESS you have a specific reason (special celebration, no/ least harmful alternative) you should avoid takeaways, restaurants, vending machines, costalot outlets. Take lunch to work (hospital appointments etc) every day. Some turtles have the occasional spend built into their personal/ social spending budget.

LITTLE and OFTEN is the key for those who are poorly, new to exercise or who have fallen by the wayside. Start with 10 minutes a day, five times a week, rising to 20 minutes in the second week. More if you are young and healthy. Those of you with a well established training routine carry on - you know your needs/capabilities better than I.

YOU will aim for 16 NO Spend Days unless you set a much lower total last month, in which case try for 2 above last month's target. Medical necessities, ys bargains (no other purchases) and filling your car with petrol from a designated petrol budget are exempt (you still keep your NSD). Super organised turtles who never exceed their budget or buy anything on impulse do not count NSDs as they have other ways of controlling their spending.

Daily Posting is reccommended – keep reading if you can't post. If it all goes wrong, confess or ask for help/ sympathy. Turtles who are on holiday should adjust targets accordingly (posting/ NSDs/ separate holiday budget etc).

Who is up to the turtle challenge?

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-06-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Nov #9 SFD 7/20 Food £91.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 13
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,571 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Only missed three days at the gym this month so doing very well indeed.
    NSD 3

Grateful for ....
    Only one school day left until the HOLIDAYS - Leicestershire breaks up
    early and goes back early
    The motivation to drag my sorry butt to the gym (the motivation was eating one of the almond and coconut iced buns I made for the kids) and getting rid of an extra 400 calories.
    For finishing another book so it can leave me (bye bye)
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    lcc86
    @abundant72, I do a low carb diet although I'm veggie, but my understanding (if you look at stuff like ketosis diets) is that meat is mostly protein not carbs, it's rice, pasta, wheat, potatoes etc that make up the carbs.

Today was a spend day, the wax cord on my bracelet broke, was gonna buy a new bracelet at £6 but decided to look for the wax cord instead, got 5metres for 95p! I can make tonnes of bracelets lol. Also bought a gym pass for £6. I don't go regularly as I have workout equipment at home but I like to mix it up every so often and as I've just got back from hols now seems a good time.

Managed a healthy day with a workout this morning and walk at lunchtime.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 17/11/17 - £110 2017 365 day challenge £597 saved for emergency fund
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 47,719 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Abundant - I feel tons better when I am low carb. Being coeliac means that I don't do bread or pasta or pizza or pastries/cakes/biscuits unless they have cost me a lot of money or I have made them myself. Eggs are good. So is cheese. And loads of veggies. Check out ketogenic sites. Or Primal Blueprint (you have to get past all the marketing but there is a ton of free and awesome stuff on there). Good luck!

Mothernerd - I was born in Wythenshaw hospital! And it was probably where I went when I trod on a nail sticking through a piece of wood. And when big sis persuaded me to stick a cherry stone up one nostril, assuring me that I could get it to come down the other side....

Today I am grateful for dd getting a wonderful end-of-year report, for dh finding W1nders at 71p per pack cheaper than sainz (he bought 5 packs!), for pottering on with my lavender bags, for a chat with a neighbour, for booking a holiday for us (didn't get one last year, what with dad and mum stuff), for the beautiful phlox plants, for catching up with big sis, for mum being so well looked after, for finishing shred level 1 (tomorrow marks the start of level 2. Gulp), for leftovers for tea.
    NST November #; NSD 3/17; Ex 2/12; craft 1/30 (247); remove 578
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3415/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 22,073 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs Skint Teacher. You are nearly there, just shut your eyes and think Scotland, freedom.

Toni'sfriend so good to have visitors who are helpful and your neighbours sound really lovely.

abundant you seem to be in a much better place mentally than you were quite recently. Love all your renewed healthy habits.

I have had a good day. Went to crafts, which was okay in the end. A few mixed messages, again. Today's project (since the oh so expensive sand art and bottles have not yet arrived) was making a bowl of fruit with playdough (the cheapo stuff that smells horrible).

I stuck to my sticking and pasting but got drawn in to helping with tricky bits. Offered someone a leaf to stick on their apple stalk and after that they got added to most of the fruit. Pleased that the girl we are worried about joined in with some encouragment. Some recent regulars missing but we had a couple of visitors (new residents) who watched and chatted for a bit.

Next week we are doing a collage together, so all my 'inspiration' bits will come in useful.

When I came home, I felt really relaxed for the first time in a week - think I had set myself an unacknowledged mental deadline and now it has passed. Lots got done but not everything (doing my mother's trick of keep adding more to the mental list).

I've had a little nap and spent some time taking a magazine to pieces. First take out any ideas that might be suitable for crafts (with patterns/ templates were available). Go through again cutting out borders and pictures (using cutting board). Then pick out any useful bits of 'colour (usually backgrounds). There are a few where I have left quite a lot of background so the we can write inspirational words in the spaces.

Washing has been put out and dried. Bins went out and have been emptied. Want to start a new embroidery project tomorrow. Need to finish a couple of pieces and need to tick off one or two things off the 'to do' list as well. The boost I get from starting the new project will help me push on with the rest.

Today I am grateful for relaxation, for companionship and for using the garden chairs as extra places to put washing to dry.
    NST Nov #9 SFD 7/20 Food £91.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass
    NSD for tomorrow rescued. FIL announced he'll visit tomorrow night and stay. Found a pack of sausages in the freezer, still have some onions and dug up some potatoes in the garden. DH said we need to go shopping. No, we don't
    Last edited by thriftylass; 12-07-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 12th Jul 17, 11:09 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Evening all!

1) NSDs: achieved today so now 7 / 16.

2) At least one store cupboard menu week this month: Yup, kind of done this now, 5 days in first week, then we've bought nothing since market shop last Thursday & due to go to market again tomorrow, so whole week with no extra spends apart from OH's milk & bread and whole week within £35 budget, but only like by a penny! Dinner tonight was omelet for me, OH going out raining so he doesn't have dinner, just beans on toast when he gets back.

3) Try to up my own income in some way (legally of course)! Achieved! Extra weekend job has begun, now trained and start officially this weekend

4) My NST health goal: 10,000 steps a day (as total of 70,000 across a week)!
    Long work day involving normal work and the new job training, meant i spent all day either at desk or standing, Finished my regular work around 9 this evening feeling stiff and a bit grumpy with measly 3k step count, so grabbed dogs and camera and went for sunset power walk across the neighbouring reserve (OH out for evening so we weren't missed)!
    Added a cheeky 7,000+ steps to give total of 10,706 today, which I'm much happier with. Hopefully I'll sleep better too now I've had some fresh air!
    Total so far this week 50,256 / 70,000.

Also skipped lunch again so I appear to be doing the fasting diet more than low-carb

5) No FleaBay shopping for the whole month - achieved again today so 12 / 31.

6) Frugal focus: sourcing instead of spending: remaining work in progress ...
    * Valance in progress - one panel hemmed, still needs sewing to base.
    * Doggy glove puppet in progress. ... just needs a tail, ears and sewing up!
    * Local blackberries coming through a treat, great source of jam in a couple of months time!

Simple pleasures:

Walking, the ultimate spend-free exercise!
    Helping out neighbours.
    Getting on with it.

Glad you've had a chance to relax Mothernerd, we always have Balsamic on the go for some reason, OH likes it!

Hugs to those who need them, not long to go Skint Teacher! PN x
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £147 / £1000 365 day penny challenge - £142.00 / £667.95 30 Fridays savings pot = £ 105 / £465
    NST July #23 - trying to build up EF & savings (as above)
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 13th Jul 17, 6:14 AM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 24,144 Thanks
    Fmess
    No more SFDs as I've been buying chocolate to keep me going at school and my prescription bread still hasn't turned up so I brought another gluten free loaf. Today should be a SFD
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £1425/£8542
    SeptNST #? SFD 1/18 Food 101.16/120 Personal 160/200 Petrol 50/100
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Jul 17, 7:01 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 22,073 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Joyful July Day Thirteen
    Life is a series of moments all called now.

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Jul 17, 7:08 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 22,073 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs Fmess, just keep plodding.

I gave up on having a sleep at 4am. I fell into the pinterest minefield and made a start on a Zelda mini project, but stopped as the cotton kept twisting and knotting (would refer it to be on the scaps of plastic canvas anyway).

I've done more sticking and pasting, had something to eat and my morning pills, dismantled a bit of the fireplace that the Council hasn't got back to me about, cleared some of the shrub high weeds from the yard and the backs, cut off several blackberry runners (some of the berries are nearly ripe), rinsed and binned all the plastic/ metal recycling. Need to put a couple of things on a pendrive to print off at the library and then get ready for today.

Is anyone up for a turtle haka to get us all in the mood?
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 13th Jul 17, 7:24 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,594 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Good morning everyone

Super posts as always and great going with all the NSDs

Yesterday was another productive day and I got loads of things done , so just didn't have time to spend or do any shopping. Not that anything is needed.

Love the Frugalwood's e-mails yesterday and yes, the excuse as to why you are spending when you don't really have to - I love it! . I suppose it depends on what your future financial goals are. The tighter the goals, the tighter the spending to achieve those goals .

Today will be another NSD making No.13 - I have so much to catch up on in the next few days that the thought of going into shops just doesn't appeal - Any excuse not to spend!!

Wishing you all a relaxing and inspired NSDay!
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 Sept NSDs 4/15CCCChl 9/12 months
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 13th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Good morning,

Thought I do an online Asd@ pick up order again as that seems to have worked better recently and then not set foot into the shops all weekend. So I revised the order this morning for the fifth time or so. Cut some more stuff out. It still comes to £91 for 4 but we were low on a lot of things. Especially meat/fish (went for a lot of frozen options like frozen lamb mince to last longer although probably not quite as nice as fresh, we'll see), coffee on offer, kids snacks, cereal. Quite a few bulk buys for the house hold (looroll) or thing that had run out and always push up the price of a weekly shop once a month (washing powder, fabric conditioner). So a lot of things will last beyond the week. Usually, I'm quite happy with the amount we spend, but groceries and HH is the only area that is under my control and I'm now determined to get it down. This week sth small has changed in my mindset which will hopefully stick for a while. Once I have this better under control I'll go back to Aldi etc and get the price down even more.

Do tooth fairy spends count as a spend day? DD (3) finally lost lost that tooth she knocked loose in the skate park three weeks ago. Although I told her that will be the last tooth fairy visit for two years. Poor soul already missed out on 3 visits before that so we thought better have one this time

Off for a swim today and LO lunch.

Have a lovely day
    Last edited by thriftylass; 13-07-2017 at 2:11 PM.
    NST Nov 6
    Exercise 5/20
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 13th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass

Is anyone up for a turtle haka to get us all in the mood?
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    Couldn't find a turtle haka so baby haka will have to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmXH6invEMI&vl=en
    NST Nov 6
    Exercise 5/20
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 47,719 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Love it!!!
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 13th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Yesterday was a NSD and so was today so I'm at 5/14. Getting there slowly! It was tough getting up for work this morning though! I've really enjoyed my 3 days off and I'm going to ask for another 3 days off next month too (I have the 7th off but I have six days holiday left which restarts beginning of October). So a couple days would be lovely.

Had a lovely time menu tasting yesterday - we have picked the dishes for the wedding so that's sorted. Was going to get invitations ready for weekend as I'm visiting family but I'm not sure if I should wait until we've given notice to marry. I have chosen 13:00 for the ceremony which they have on the booking form but I'm wondering now whether to wait until notice is properly given and everything is finalised. I'm a bit miffed really that we had to reschedule because it puts other things on hold!

Today I found out my overtime has been approved on time so I'm very happy about that!! My managers manager told me this afternoon he's approved it and it's in time so I'll see it end of the month!

I'm also making good use of leftovers tonight for dinner so a nice frugal dinner to be had - leftover Thai curry sauce from dinner the other day. I used it as a vase of Thai noodle soup. It was pretty good for something I made up on the spot! I don't think tomorrow will be a NSD as I've got to get some birthday present bits ready for my dad's BBQ on Sunday.

Oh, and I've put my name down for overtime on Saturday too. I'm worried I might burn myself out but I could really do with the money!
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 13-07-2017 at 8:48 PM.
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 10/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 13th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    lcc86
    Another NSD here. Had a conference at work today, all pretty boring but not too bad. Ate loads of rubbish though so def not a healthy eating day! Off to give blood this evening then home to bed.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original DFD

25/08/17 new total £802 back in debt but determined clear it by February 2018! 17/11/17 - £110 2017 365 day challenge £597 saved for emergency fund
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 47,719 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I am grateful today for being able to do shred level 2, for getting a dr appointment (for a weeks time, but with the dr I wanted to see) about my toe that I badly injured 7 weeks ago, for dd having a great day, for dd's wonderfully understanding teacher, for dh having a good and useful meeting, for having depleted my fabric stash so much that a wander around the charity shops is called for, for a lovely chat with a neighbour, for finding some uniform bits that are dd's size in the jumble-sale-style scrummage at aldee, for homemade coleslaw.
    017 sell 116

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Jul 17, 11:54 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 22,073 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Good evening turtles. I haven't had a SFD and can't claim a healthy day either. Nothing disastrous but not perfect. I haven't even been frugal - I bought several things that I could have made myself. Apart from all that, I have had a really good day.

Gave up hope of sleeping at 4am and just kept plodding. Started to run a bath just after 9am and then decided shopping first, then bath.

This week's shopping challenge is to find birthday presents for mum's partner (3 yo in a 87 yo body, he has dementia). I had mentioned the tool set that my sons had when then were young - similar to mekano but wooden pieces with plastic nails and screws and tools. My friend's son had a board with assorted cogs - you arranged them on the board and then turned a handle to watch how they interacted.

Mum had suggested toys to his family as he has multiples of every clothing item he could want, but liked my idea - her partner likes fiddling with things and it would help maintain dexterity in his hands.

Had looked on-line first and it seemed the tool set is no longer made but the train set is. Looked at various options and then set off on a trawl of the town centre. Wilco, HB, B n M and then Tosco. Bought a megg blocks boat and bricks plus 5 assorted vehicles (1 tiny tikes but others chunky and sturdy too) for under a fiver at the YMCA shop, so I had a fall back position.

One or 2 possibles at B n M but not what I wanted. Remembered seeing good wooden toys at Tosco a while ago. Found a train with 3 trucks - each has a wheeled base with pegs and assorted wooden pieces that you stack on the pegs. Second item was a car transporter with 4 wooden cars. Train set was good value too, but wasn't sure if partner can cope with the jigsaw joining mechanism any longer.

Whilst I was there I bought apples, bananas, broccoli, reduced chantenay carrots, plain yoghurt to make dips to go with raw veg, fruit yoghurt as no-one has offered them at a reasonable price recently, more porridge oats (I stir them into the yoghurt). Also bought ready made pasta, noodle and bean salads and a sandwich (non-frugal bit) then hurried home as fast as possible with heavy bags.

10.30 am as I crossed the car park and had to meet best buddy at 11am. determined that whatever else had to go, I needed the bath. Set water running, unpacked stuff that was staying home, filled water bottles, packed what I thought I needed including a large board - we are making a collage in crafts next week and I said I had a large board so took it in for approval. Put stuff by the front door.

Bathed, threw my clothes on, phoned for a taxi (mum gives me taxi money), put my shoes on and taxi arrived as I opened the door - the taxi was because I had 4 bags for life plus the board.

Realised I had forgotten my book when I got in the taxi, driver said she would wait but I chickened out of hunting through piles of paper flowers, birds, hearts, stars and 'inspiration' pictures to find it.

New attraction at the centre - my counsellor has acquired a puppy, absolutely adorable so we played with her and then had a catch up on how we were doing - missed him last week.

Last time I saw him he had been invited to a sportsman's dinner which required formal dress and he asked for advice on what he needed. He had done as I said, bought trousers, a jacket and shoes (all plain and basic, stick to black or navy, keep it simple). I had told him to get a tie, which could be a little bolder on colour but nothing silly and then go with whether or not the other men were wearing ties or not.

He had enjoyed the event a lot - 3 course meal then vip seats to watch the match and he liked his new clothes and was thinking of trying them out more often. My advice was spot on but he kept the tie in his pocket in the end. Counsellor wasn't seeing anyone so we all had a catch up and it was very relaxing.

Repeated my theory that if I am falling asleep when I sit or lie down, then I must be working to capacity (all that I am capable of atm) and need to not stress about the 'not done' and add more things as and when I can.

Taxi to mum's (thankfully minus the board which passed inspection). She liked the toys. She had originally suggested a budget of £20, spent just under £27 but she and partner's elder daughter are him a wooden toy each and I am giving the cs haul. Found 3 suitable gift bags in the craft case (that's the frugal bit). If he isn't interested in them, at least they will keep any visiting greatgrandchildren quiet.

Ate lunch then attempted more tree branch cutting (just into small enough lengths to go in the bin). Added more mealworms to the bird table, collected the post - only one letter but it was really special. From mum's cousin's son and he had enclosed some old photographs of her parents and grand-parents (complicated family history were the wrong person got 'custody' of family stuff).

I read the letter to her and we looked throught the photos. Mum said there were photos everywhere and could I go and look through - bundles and bundles in envelopes and bags.

I have separated out all her partner's family photos, his children need to take care of them now. At least 2 years ago I suggested that they put names and dates on them and I would put them in an album that partner could look through with great-grandchildren. They didn't do it and now it's too late as he no longer recognises any of them.

Found a few gems, photos of my brothers which I have never seen (baby brother has had long hair for ever but middle brother only managed to get his full length briefly so it looks like baby bro until you realise he's with #2' then gf - I'm #1), photos of my children taken when mum was minding them.

Best of all, a good photo of me. My ex thought he was Diane Arbus but set out to deliberately make people 'ugly'. This was taken on the bus coming back from a weekend at his parents. We only had DS1 and he had gone to sleep and been put in the carrycot, so I am just sitting in the corner of the bus looking out of the window (soft evening light). I always thought I looked a bit Virginia Woolf-ish - there is a drawing of her sort of from the side (but I have a tiny nose).

I remember showing the photo to mum when it was developed but then it disappeared, as other accurate/ flattering photos have done including the one with Tony Benn which I saw once.

I asked mum about a box on one of the top shelves, when I looked it was a lot of wedding memorabilia (I ate the sugared almonds) but also a clock mum had been fretting about earlier (bought by her colleagues when she retired).

Various things were added to the charity pile, I went through the 2 suitcases of 'craft' stuff (some of it is junk) again - I am running out of cardboard for templates (using card inserts you get in shirts when new). Asked mum if she knew there were two more suitcases in the shed.

Brought them in. One was full of 'our' photos. Lots of mum in various tap dancing outfits and more which I have never seen. In 1972 Leigh beat Leeds in the Rugby League final. Mum worked for the 'Pru' and some of the players brought the cup to an insurance companies event. there is a photo of mum and the woman who ran the office holding the cup, flanked by two of the players. When the move to the bungalow happened mum kept asking me to find this photo and I searched and searched. Turned up in the middle of a pack of photos.

Found a fifth case (a vanity case, one of the 1960's nearly round ones) in the cupboard next to the craft ones. Although extremely tired I persisted in sorting and have brought home 4 empty suitcases and a wheeled shopping trolley + a bag for life full of bits, to be taken to the charity shops in the morning.

I asked how mum wanted to keep the photos (as present 'system' is clearly not working). I suggested a sturdy box (mum has an old video storage box I gave her to hold her recipe clippings) and a pack of index cards to take any that will fit and then we do something with the 'special ones' later on. At some point mum had put baby pictures of herself, me and me brothers and our 5 children in little gold aperture cards but got no further.

Tomorrow I want to do some printing at the library (might involve geeky cross-stitch) and a quick trawl of the css for photo albums/ probably Wilco for a video storage type box (they may have one actually labelled photos) then back to mum's in the afternoon.

If my back is willing branch cutting may be completed, if not a little gentle sorting (or maybe just sit and watch an old film) and do a SM order for delivery next Tuesday (not to clash with appointment).

Today I am grateful for using what we have, for comfortable relationships and being able to see the bottom of cupboards.

And puppies, must not forget the puppy,
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 22,073 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Joyful July Day Fourteen
    Dance - no-one is watching
    (firefox to the rescue)

Sleepy and wobbly this morning (and my upper arms ache - I still have biceps) so will stay in bed and read a book until I can get to the bathroom without having to hold on to things.

Will drink lots of water, take my pills (later than usual, might be adding to dizziness), eat a couple of bananas and maybe do a little gentle tidying and cutting out. Library and charity shop run tomorrow.

Realised I have a box that is the right size for standard photos (kept mine in it for a while). I could make the index cards too, but need to work up some enthusiasm for that (had to do it, far too many times in the past).

Have a great day turtles - remember to be awesome.

• thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 14th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Thanks for the motivational posts, mothernerd.

I'll be doing a wee dance later on today.

No SFD today as we'll pick up the big asda order.

Random box from freezer for lunch (thing it's ancient sausage roast).

Will try and go for a run a bit early today as we have kids coming to work just after lunch do so some fun experiments/crafting etc. I'm responsible for the felting. That should be interesting letting 5-11 year old loose with felting needles/pens.

Lovely day and today I'm grateful for healthy (if disobedient ) kids, a healthy 80 yo FIL who we spend a lovely evening with, a quiet sunny office (last day of that till my colleague come back on Monday and the blinds and windows are forever shut again). Definitely need to focus on positive things like that more. As I get older I tend to focus on misery too much, the cousin with CF, the cousin with severe dementia, the bedridden aunt, the colleague's mum that just died, the mate's dad in a hospice, the dead cat....and the list could go on. I guess these things always happen just when we were younger we weren't so aware of them? I should count my blessings and try to enjoy life in the now more, care less about mundane things like the hoovering that should've been done. Sorry for the heavy post, just sth that has been on my mind a lot recently. I wonder how people stay positive in later life, I guess they just do. I should try that more too. Here's to a good positive day.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 14-07-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    NST Nov 6
    Exercise 5/20
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 14th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    PlaysNicely
    Oops MIA last night

Yesterday ran away with me, so just a quick post of yesterday's progress

1) NSDs: no, it was market shopping day so still on 7 / 16.

2) Frugal food shopping: previous week's target met so this week's £35 budget started anew. Whilst I was working, OH went to market (sounds like the start of a nursery rhyme)
    He did really well, spent £17 on fruit and veg for the week & came back with ideas for how to fit it all together as a meal plan, rather than just buying random items! So, am limiting us to the £13 left for the rest of the week and have put the other £5 into one of the savings challenges to help that along! Will also need to shop in week for laundry stuff but hopeful to meet the slimmed budget!
    He did an experimental dinner based on some of his shopping: apricot and mushroom curry, with spinach dahl - very lovely!

3) Try to up my own income in some way (legally of course)! Achieved!

4) My NST health goal: 10,000 steps a day (as total of 70,000 across a week)!
    Long work day but good evening walk with dogs, just managed to make the target with 10,007 steps! Total so far this week 60,263 / 70,000 - just today to go to make that 70,000!

5) No FleaBay shopping for the whole month erm, bread bin ordered so didn't manage this -
    have high hopes of it tho and sold something via Shpock so using that cash! Timed the purchase for market day so as not to lose a NSD to it! So far this month: 12 / 31 achieved, 1 glitch!.

6) Frugal focus: sourcing instead of spending: busy day, nothing else achieved yet, remaining work in progress ...
    * Valance in progress - one panel hemmed, still needs sewing to base.
    * Doggy glove puppet in progress. ... just needs a tail, ears and sewing up!

Simple pleasures:
    OH really getting into the frugal food shopping and meal planning!
    Cat spending the day in my room with me whilst I was working.
    Saw two barn owls and a Marsh Harrier whilst on evening walk!

TFI Friday everyone, have a great day, PN x
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £147 / £1000 365 day penny challenge - £142.00 / £667.95 30 Fridays savings pot = £ 105 / £465
    NST July #23 - trying to build up EF & savings (as above)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,332Posts Today

6,379Users online

Martin's Twitter