Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Jun 17, 10:56 PM
    • 1,975Posts
    • 20,049Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST Joyful July
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:56 PM
    NST Joyful July 28th Jun 17 at 10:56 PM
    Ninja Saving Turtles

We are now half way through the year and how are we doing with our annual goals?

Congratulations to those on target with debt busting / diet and exercise and any other goals. Keep it going remembering to revise your target if your current stepping stone is getting too comfy.

For those who have drifted from their path (hangs head in shame) there are still six months of the year left. You have time to wipe the slate clean and make a fresh start. Be honest about why things have not worked out. Were your original goals too tough? Did things go to pot when everyday pressures kicked in? Did you have a beautiful plan with all the details worked out but then failed to apply them (me again)? Remember Hope is not a strategy.

If you are reeling from the blows that life has dealt you (hugs, more hugs and a sympathetic ear) just hang in there turtles. Revise your goals or write an emergency strategy if needed, do what you can – you will still get there, but for now you have to use the B roads not the motorway.

The turtle gang are all here to help, advise, celebrate with you, commiserate with you, hand out tissues and hugs as required. We even do lycra clad cheerleaders with pompoms.

So if you are a regular contender (turtle life can be tough and demanding), a recent convert or just finding your way and trying turtledom for the first time, welcome to

JOYFUL JULY

JOY Life has been hard recently. I have always found joy in the little things. Some of us find 3 things to be grateful for at the end of each day and you may find it useful too – you can add it to your daily post or just write it down privately. Some days are full of good things, some days are dreadful but if you think carefully you can pick out moments of joy – a ladybird, a child's glasses case in the shape of a shoe, a smile or thank you from a stranger.

Try to wake joyfully too. It can help to write your 'to do' list (and make other preparations) the night before, so that you have a clear idea of your coming day. If possible take a few moments of peace and calm and take that forward into your joyful day. Make joyful memories with your children during the holidays and share any free/ low cost fun ideas.

ORGANISE You should know your Debt Free Date or if debt free your savings goal (mortgage free plan/ early retirement goal). If you don't know, work it out or if it is too daunting or too far in the future, set a target for this year. Work out how much you need to put aside to achieve this and live on what is left over. Sort your budgets for the month before July 1st (if possible).

YOU It starts from here, it starts with YOU, it starts with now.
    I'm sorry but you are it. We may wish we had more money, a better job, weren't in this mess, more abc, less xyz. This is where you are. If you don't like it, change it. You can keep wishing or you can plan, decide what you want to do, set goals, break them down into small steps and start. Every small step helps even when you can't see the bigger picture.

Know yourself, your strengths and weaknesses.

If life has steam rollered over your plans, write new ones. Is it just temporary (hold your nerve, do what you can, resign yourself to being in a holding pattern until the crisis is over) or longer term (take a deep breath, eat from the cupboards, check through your annual budget).

FRUGAL The Frugalwoods are having another Uber Frugal Month Challenge
    http://www.frugalwoods.com/2017/06/19/the-uber-frugal-month-challenge-is-back-july-2017-edition/ . I haven't read a lot of their stuff (some is location specific) but this is a sort of 'how low could you go', cut out absolutely everything you possibly could. I might be signing up and thought it might help some of you facing a difficult month. It won't be for everyone but it might be good to spend some time considering just what you could do without 'if you had to'. I will probably use some of it for daily inspiration.

USE what you have. Start by auditing the cupboards, fridge and freezer. Make meal plan based on these. Cook from scratch. After sorting out your big bills, the food budget is often the area where you can make great savings.

LOOK after you. If you are it, it all depends on you, so look after yourself (especially if no-one else is likely to). Make time for a little pampering or just sit and reflect. Mental and physical wellbeing is important.

JULY Challenge runs from 1st to 31st July.

UNLESS you have a specific reason (special celebration, no/ least harmful alternative) you should avoid takeaways, restaurants, vending machines, costalot outlets. Take lunch to work (hospital appointments etc) every day. Some turtles have the occasional spend built into their personal/ social spending budget.

LITTLE and OFTEN is the key for those who are poorly, new to exercise or who have fallen by the wayside. Start with 10 minutes a day, five times a week, rising to 20 minutes in the second week. More if you are young and healthy. Those of you with a well established training routine carry on - you know your needs/capabilities better than I.

YOU will aim for 16 NO Spend Days unless you set a much lower total last month, in which case try for 2 above last month's target. Medical necessities, ys bargains (no other purchases) and filling your car with petrol from a designated petrol budget are exempt (you still keep your NSD). Super organised turtles who never exceed their budget or buy anything on impulse do not count NSDs as they have other ways of controlling their spending.

Daily Posting is reccommended – keep reading if you can't post. If it all goes wrong, confess or ask for help/ sympathy. Turtles who are on holiday should adjust targets accordingly (posting/ NSDs/ separate holiday budget etc).

Who is up to the turtle challenge?

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-06-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST July #1 SFD 10/16 Healthy day 11/20
    Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 12
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 11th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 3,308 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Morning Turtles

I'm a bit disappointed today as I found out my overtime hasn't been approved yet (my main manager is on holiday and no-one else has sorted it) and now this months deadline has passed! So, I'll not see last weeks and this weeks efforts until the end of August now. Pretty gutted about it but at least August's pay packet will look good!

I've got a relaxing day at home to today should be a NSD - might go In The garden and do a little more weeding. I've also got some bark in the shed that I might put down on the little flower bed. It'll neaten it up a bit I reckon.

EDIT: Bagged a NSD so I'm at 3/14. I got some bits for the wedding but that comes out of a totally unrelated budget that I do not count towards NSD. This is because wedding bits have nothing to do with my living/lifestyle budget (well, I suppose it does in the sense that we are saving for the wedding) but if I didn't spend that budget they'd be no wedding! I suppose I treat the 'wedding' as a bill - I put money in the wedding account at the beginning of the month as my 'bill' and what comes out comes out as and when!

I didn't manage to get in the garden today. Relentless rain saw to that! Will attempt it again in the morning.

I did have round 2 of wedding cake testing though. Plain sponge with raspberry jam and buttercream frosting. I'm trying to make a semi-naked style cake but my frosting skills need some work. It looked a bit messy. Tom approved though, and I've decided I'll have a slice tomorrow as I'm trying to be good. We are menu tasting tomorrow at the venue so one piece of cake won't hurt with everything else! And then I'll jump straight back onto my new plan of no snacks, sweets, seconds unless it's a weekend or 'special' day. I'm counting tomorrow as a 'special' day - once we've picked what we are having we can get the invites ready sonthe guests can decide on the choices available (they get two choices per course to pick - I'll ask for the choices to be sent back with the R.S.V.P). It feels like it's getting close now - less than 4 months to go!
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 11-07-2017 at 8:30 PM.
    July grocery challenge £197.82/£275| Emergency £1,000 challenge - £78/£1,000 | July NSD 9/14
    Credit Card: £495 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,989 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £112,080 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,354.82
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Jul 17, 9:38 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 23,486 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

today should be another SFD. HM lunch, bike at the gym, just cold cuts and bread etc for the kids dinner as DS will have a BBQ at the holiday club and DD gets a warm lunch anyway. For DH and me I'll make a chinese style noodle dish with some left over roast chicken from Sunday and pork rib meat form the BBq On Sat once he's back from football. The next three days I have to get a bit creative as there is not much left and I would usually go to the shop by now.

Loving the garden just now. We don't have massive amounts of fruit and veg growing but most days the kids can go out and pick sth.: mange tout, strawberries, snack cucumbers. Hopefully the beans, potatoes, carrots etc will be ready soon too.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 11-07-2017 at 9:52 AM.
    NST joyful july no 15
    SFD 11/18 spends too much/440 Exercise 11/18 Amazon vouchers for xmas £0
    Debt - all 0% 1682 to go from 5290 (67% paid off)
    DFD 9/2017 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 11th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    Calling14
    I seem to be spending everyday this has to stop.

Yesterday popped into Lildlee's on way home for milk and baby wipes, however then realised I needed butter, next minutes mushrooms, dates and everything jumped into my basket. 8 pounds spent.

Today I spent 9 pounds.Way I look at it saved money.

Hair dye 5 pounds whereas hairdresser to include a cut 50.00
    Shampoo/ Conditioner half price 2.50 each, saved 5 pounds there. I usually buy a dearer one half the size.

Not big spends but hey ho tomorrow will be a SFD. !!!!!!!!
    Thursday and Friday however won't be however.

Grateful for
    Rain yes I got tired with watering garden.
    Day off tomorrow sunny hopefully.
    Great leftover tea, with all veggies and a few noodles yesterday.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW 1880
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 2420/4300 DFD 10/17 ?
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge26 #3 370/ 1400 ends 13/9/17

• indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 11th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    No spend day. Stayed in weather is miserable.
    #545- SPC
    Homeowner by 40
    July NSDs 5/15
    • mrshubbard
    • By mrshubbard 11th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    mrshubbard
    Sorry Thrifty

Well done on the race for life Skint teacher

Another 2 NSDs under the belt so up to 3 - must do better.

Went for our belated father's day meal yesterday at the Airport pub in Manchester - right next to the runway where the planes land so Little Man was hyper, there was another boy the same age there and they ran around together on the playground and worked each other up into a frenzy every time a plane landed entertained all the other people there too. There's nothing as infectious as little ones laughing.

A spend day tomorrow as we're buying wood to build a bridge for our stream, lucky we're both quite practical as buying a ready made one is ridiculously expensive

I've had someone on facebook asking how much for all my maternity clothes so hoping they'll take me up on it will only be £20 but it can go on the cc.

Today's joys are:-

relaxing watching tennis
    getting nice bread for tea at our local market (garlic & rosemary - smells fantastic)
    my mum and dad having room in their skip for our garden rubbish
    1 debt vs 100 days -£100/£1600
    Debtfree by Xmas17 #161 £100/£3286
    365 day penny challenge - £94.14/£667.95
    NST - 3/16 NSDs £140.16/£250 food 0/£60spends
    Debts - CC1-£4438.89 £4393.72 CC2-4560.38 £4160.38 CC3-£10,326£10,155.85 CC4 - £3286
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 8,412 Thanks
    Florence J
    Sorry for my absence, have been away on my holiday, managed to gain two NSDs whilst away so am now up to a small but mighty 3 with plenty of the month left.

Have become obsessed with making money online and have cashed out on a couple of survey sites, sold things on ebay and gum tree and through we buy books and ziffit and even a few things to OH which he wanted and wouldn't let me sell!

As a result I now only owe my OH £150 when a few months ago it was over £1000, and one of my credit cards is in a new hundred's bracket if that makes sense.

I go back to work tomorrow after a four week absence due to stress, anxiety and depression. I wouldn't say I am looking forward to it but I am not actively dreading it either. I will feel good about earning money again and knowing where my pay is coming from.

I currently feel quite good, I had a lovely time away, I have had the all clear on my leg so I did a park run last Saturday (and as a result had very sore legs for my holiday) and OH is taking me out for a meal or supplying me with a takeaway tomorrow night to 'celebrate' my going back to work.

I hope all of you lovely Turtles are well, well done Konta for those enjoying the tennis.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1225.72 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 5,622 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Lost my way a bit over the last few days due to friends' visit but up to five NSDs. Having a lovely time with them and have been out for a few drives around the lovely countryside. Will get back to normal on Friday, hopefully.
    NSD 10/14 Weightloss 1.5/48 July womble £73.44 2017 Wombling total £1073.67
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 11th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

) NSDs: achieved today so now 6 / 16.

2) At least one store cupboard menu week this month: longest run so far 5 days.
    No extra dinner spends today, used frozen puff pastry sheet from freezer to make 4 x goats' cheese & beetroot puffs (one each eaten tonight and other 2 frozen for another time); hot herby new potatoes, baked tomatoes with garlic & peas. OH's flapjack and ice cream for dessert later. Matches 5 day run of no extra spending on meals over and above the shopping last week.

3) Try to up my own income in some way (legally of course)! Achieved! Extra weekend job has now started with a couple of training days this week, which I've frantically rescheduled my other work around.

4) My NST health goal: 10,000 steps a day (as total of 70,000 across a week)! ^^^This^^^ is the reason I haven't achieved this today ... trying to cram all of my other work this week into one less day so that I can go in for a training day means I've been very deskbound today. Hoping still to get dogs out in a bit which will boost steps somewhat but otherwise am stuck on just over 2800 today, which is just dreadful! Total so far 39,550 / 70,000.

Also skipped lunch and was so hungry for my dinner I didn't even do my abs exercises (and now can't do them as tummy full of puff pastry and beetroot)!

5) No FleaBay shopping for the whole month - achieved again today so 11 / 31. Am likely to be buying my breadbin soon tho as having no luck sourcing one from CS (very grim offerings) and am very fed up with OH just abandoning bread products all over the kitchen (which has almost no surfaces, so can't be doing with crumbs and clutter everywhere). Who'd have thought that a roll top breadbin could really straddle the line between need or want & cordial marital relationships or 'words'!

6) Frugal focus: sourcing instead of spending: remaining work in progress ...
    * Valance in progress - one panel hemmed, still needs sewing to base.
    * Doggy glove puppet in progress. ... it nearly has a noggin now!
    * As above, have been trying to source bread bin from CS but no luck so far.

Simple pleasures:

Rain means less buzzy insects, so less neurotic "oh no it buzzes therefore I'm in danger" behaviour from smaller pooch! Peace at last!
    Renewing library books online, so easy, so useful!
    Lavender we took a chance on planting (we'd only been here a few months and weren't sure if it would like the conditions) has really come into its own!

Hope everyone else has had a fruitful day. PN x
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £147 / £1000 365 day penny challenge - £142.00 / £667.95 30 Fridays savings pot = £ 105 / £465
    NST July #23 - trying to build up EF & savings (as above)
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 44,161 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for the rain which was really rather impressive, for going to dd's brownies' picnic (indoors), for catching up with friends, for dd getting a party invite (which enables me to say 'no' to doing something I didn't want to do), for for dd practising her photography, for lavender bags, for the Tour, for shred (done it 8 times now), for reading a good book.
    NST Joyful July #2; NSD 11; Ex 18; craft 110; remove 477
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2239/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    lcc86
    Today was NSD number 4. Shopping came this morning so I did a little batch cooking tonight. Slightly overdid it on portion size estimates but I split it to make an extra portion instead.

Was also the first day back at work, and it was a complete nightmare tbh - everything had gone a bit t*ts up while I was off. Hopefully all sorted now as I wasted a lot of time today.

Somehow racked up another healthy day food wise, didn't exercise as I'm really feeling the effects of my riding lesson! Will work out in the morning. Night all.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £313 saved
    • misstara
    • By misstara 11th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 15,805 Thanks
    misstara
    Today I'm grateful for a NSD (5/16), earning some extra cash (double shift again today), a nice night for walking home and the g&t that I'm planning to have when I get home
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1534.90 (33.3% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 5/12. Groceries target £132.97/£150. NSD target 11/16.
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 11th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    nsd 5
    Dragging myself to the end of term! Really missing the gym as this week is too busy - only just got in and it's *checks clock * 11pm!? Not doing the disco tomorrow as have my own child's parents' evening.
    Hope everyone is OK - loving the exercise posts, you all seem to be doing really well.
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 12th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 2,562 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Good morning everyone

Great posts as always - Super going with all the goals and NSDs

Looking forward to another Frugalwood's e-mail this morning - Yesterday's was just super

Today will be NSD No. 12 - the weathers terrible and I'll be busy later when it clears up - Any excuse not to spend or go shopping

Wishing you all a peaceful and inspiring day!
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Aug] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 July NSDs 19/15CCCChl 7/12 months
    July PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 20,049 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Joyful July Day One Twelve
    Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on Fire
    Last edited by mothernerd; 12-07-2017 at 8:28 PM.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 20,049 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Fmess - the rest is well deserved

Apple I am a big fan of indoor picnics (I had a huge green baize cloth which covered the floor). Happpy shredding

abundant I love your post on energy depletion, it's all about listening to your body, pausing to work out what you really need.

Skint Teacher just keep plodding.

f0xh0les to the dentist.

misstara glad the meeting went better than expected, they can be so soul draining.

mrshubbard good news on the maternity clothes. Airport vist sounds fab. I've only passed through. DS2 needed surgery on some scar tissue at Wythenshaw and they wanted us there by 8am. By catching the first bus towards the station (next town up), a train to the airport and then a bus working it's way back to Manchester, we made it.

Lauralozzle shame about the overtime payments but they will be there next month.

thrifty yum to hg veg. to DH, they just don't get it. My ex was out of work after being made redundant. He insisted he 'needed' new shoes (there were 3 pairs in the wardrobe). He came back with two pairs because they were 'so cheap' - having just spent the equivalent of two weeks food budget.

Calling spending a little to save a lot sounds good. BF is back? Can we expect more wining and dining adventures.

indigowarrior my mother had me out cutting up tree branches in that miserable weather - I did come in when it was pouring.

PlaysNicely excellent use of your stores. I am quite proud of nearly finishing the balsamic vinegar (bought in HB for the Christmas before last - thought it was smooth enough to substitute for wine in my favourite mushroom recipe). I ran out of cider vinegar and the cheaper ones weren't available, so have been happily using up the balsamic.

Florence J Hope the return to work goes well. Remember to keep looking after yourself. Stop and take a deep breath when it all gats too much.

Toni'sfriend Spending time with friends is important, it doesn't sound as though you have spent an extortionate amount.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 20,049 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Came on here before 7am yesterday to do catch up and dozed off - repeatedly - until about 11am. Luckily the little table and laptop stayed in place all that time and didn't fall off the bed. Got a stiff neck from sleeping sitting up though.

Sunday was aspend day. Went to do mum's shopping but needed a couple of bits myself. Was working my way through the main shopping street with the intention of buying the bulky stuff at Icyland and having it delivered. In and out of shops as didn't know who would stock some of the things. Got part way, gave up and bought what I could from HB and stork like freezer shop.

12 litres of milk plus other things evenly distributed between two bags and the 'heavy' stuff on my back (12 glass bottles amongst other things). Stopped for a breather at the last bench before home and an old man asked if I was alright.

Monday was so glad to have done the shop as it was pouring down. Took what I had bought + some crafting stuff in a taxi to mum's (4 bags + rucksack). Big job of day was sawing off a branch that was coming towards the house and making the doorway and path dark. Got my old laptop up and running.

Yesterday I found my pruning saw (gets to places the large bow saw can't) and did the remaining shopping on my way to mum's. Lots of small trips into the yard to tackle a dead branch and finish off the large branch - came in when it started to rain hard. Lots of leaves brought back for pressing - wanted to ask the man in the house facing if I could have one of the heads off his hydrangea (glorious deep pink colour) but mum said wait until he moves in. He's done the painting, a van of furniture came at weekend, yesterday he was putting up curtains - mum gives me a running commentary.

Came home both days when I got to constantly nodding off. So tired but quite happy. I have been pondering how my everyday 'happiness' and underlying depression can co-exist. It's fairly simple, I am doing what I can and by focusing on th elittle things I am happy and even joyful.

However at a deeper level I am aware of 'things left undone', healthy baking day has been repeatedly postponed, I want to write to my cousins updating them on mum's situation and thanking them for their support, I need to contact a couple of work people and get things moving.

I think I am working up to my current limit (fall asleep if I lie or sit down) so I will have to be satisfied with that and keep adding bits, as and when I can (eliminate all the 'shoulds' and 'oughts').

Once again I have so many things to be grateful for. I am having a day off from mum's today as someone else will be there - I have gone the past two weeks as she was ill. For the support of the turtle gang. For the crafts club, the organisation that hosts it and for being able to manage lots without money.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 23,486 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

Had the dentist this morning, £10.88 for a filling. Just love the dentist here, not only do they numb your face for just a filling, you even get your gums iced before the needle. Bliss. In Germany they just drill (might be different nowadays). So funny lopsided face this morning. But as it was already a SD anyway I got just the two super essentials, bread and ham, as I have nothing left for DS lunch on Friday. BTW she wanted to offer me a private white filling for 70 quid on my second molar that no-one sees anyway. Think not.

Freezer and fridge dregs curry tonight (found some ancient chicken pieces, chopped peppers that I had forgotten about). Our cupboards look seriously bare for a change. We usually have up to six boxes (SM ownbrand, mind) of cereal on the go, down to one now. Will make do till Friday easily, DH already thought yesterday "we have no food" and was then quite impressed with dinner. Will plan my next weeks shop now more carefully to keep the momentum of creative cheap cooking going.

Hopefully get my washing machine fixed tomorrow, Just got it in April and the door broke last weekend.

Have a nice day
    NST joyful july no 15
    SFD 11/18 spends too much/440 Exercise 11/18 Amazon vouchers for xmas £0
    Debt - all 0% 1682 to go from 5290 (67% paid off)
    DFD 9/2017 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Jul 17, 3:12 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 5,622 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    C and our visitors have gone off to meet some old friends today but I'm having a "day off". I really can't manage going to the pub and eating out every day. So I've caught up with some tidying and made Spanish chicken for dinner for when they eventually get back. Had everything I needed in the fridge or freezer.
    They've been really great. Took me to order a new washing machine (got a really good deal - just what I wanted with £210 reduction) which is coming on Wednesday or Thursday and some things that we needed for long standing repairs to the house (strip light for kitchen, etc) which are more difficult to access without a car. Another neighbour did two loads of washing for me last night and said she'd collect anything else I had to do tonight, She also came in with a home made cheesecake because she knew I had visitors. I love my neighbours.
    So a quiet day and no money spent. Hope you're all ok. Catch up properly at the weekend.
    NSD 10/14 Weightloss 1.5/48 July womble £73.44 2017 Wombling total £1073.67
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 12th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 8,543 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Afternoon all

Monday & Tuesday = NSD numbers 7 an 8
    Today was a spend day

So just putting this out here... Has anyone into fitness tried low carb diets before? My food bills are pretty high because of all the meat I'm buying. I batch cook when I can and freeze, but it eats up my budget. Any tips?

Today I am grateful for:
    1. Helpful advice at the gym
    2. A lovely cool breeze and the rain the last few days... I'm with Mothernerd, find it easier breathing when it's cool too though...
    3. I do love the sunny days too - so thank you for those!!!
    Fitness and spiritual practice going swimmingly! Clocked up 11 exercise sessions this month already and some kind of spiritual practice every day!

Have a great evening people!
    Repay Car : Phase 2 : £0/£500 by 13/09
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £4283.65. EF = £750/£4500
    NST July : NSD=13/16 : Food £100.00/£100 : Spends £100/£100
    365 Day 1p Challenge = £408.57/£667.95. £1.00 a Day = £212.00/£365.00
    Spiritual Practice =13/31. Exercise Sessions 16/14. Cash Bonus = £25/£150 + £219/£399
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 12th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    nsd 6
    Another crazy day at work. Haven't made my steps since my 10k on Sunday, haven't exercised apart from cycling to work as I've done evenings/ tonight is OH's exercise night. Tomorrow yoga and then drinks out. I've managed to nab a lift home but it's at 10.30pm (at least that means I probably won't have more than one drink). The summer budget is working well. I'm up in Scotland for a week right at the end of the month so I have sent the petrol money to OH and I'm 'keeping back' the money for the week. It will be a cheap one as staying at my sisters and will be eating in and doing beach/Park visits. But I do want one night out with my sis and will be going to the gym a couple of times -she is sourcing free 'trial' passes at several places for me
    Keep going everyone!!!
    Skinty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin