Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 14wrence
    • By 14wrence 28th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 66Thanks
    14wrence
    Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom. 28th Jun 17 at 3:42 PM
    Hi,

I bought a Kia, and part of my buying decision was due to the longer than usual 7 year warranty.

Anyway, the Car is now 3 years old, and the clutch has started slipping (mainly only in second gear if any mechanics on here).

Apparently if the clutch is burnt out, this is classed as wear and tear as it is bad driving habits. However if it is a mechanical element of the clutch, then it is covered under the warranty.

This is all fine, I get this. The reason I am annoyed though, is to check if it is burnt out, or a symptom covered under the warranty will cost me £500.... Also how bad driving habits can I have when I have always had older second hand cars in the past and never burned a clutch out yet.

In my eyes - this is a very convenient way to dissuade you from claiming anything under he warranty.

Is this allowed?? Won't a mechanic know just by driving it??

Have I got any grounds to complain??

A local garage will do for £600 the full job. However Kia will charge a further £600 to fix after a £500 diagnosis.

So it seems I have the choice between just paying £600 or I could gamble, and either get it done under warranty, or pay £1,300.

Also does anybody know if there is an ombudsman for this kind of thing. although even if I go to an ombudsman, and they see it in my favour. What's stopping the Kia dealer then saying it is burned out and not covered under warranty now I've got them all peed off??

So that's it. I have posted this for 2 reasons, 1) to ask for any advice from anyone, and 2) If I am going to have to fork out £600 (which I can not afford) to name and shame, Kia and their warranty.
Page 4
    • Coveredinbees!!!!
    • By Coveredinbees!!!! 12th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 3,146 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Coveredinbees!!!!
    I can't complain about Kia's warranty, my entire gearbox was replaced after it ate it's self just outside of the warranty period.

• PMSCAMMELL
    • By PMSCAMMELL 17th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PMSCAMMELL
    Neither would I after that many miles object too much. But mine has done less than 9000. That is slightly different. Mine was not fit for purpose and from what I read I am not alone.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 17th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 25,921 Posts
    • 32,720 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Presumably this info is online but can't find it. I'd like to read about it, any chance of a link please?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 12,525 Posts
    • 16,717 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I must admit that our experiences with Kia warranty has been wholly positive so far. Had a problem with the clutch that coincided with the start of a two week holiday abroad. The fault was repaired while we were away. Kia provided a hire car so we could get to the airport and another when we returned so that we could home.

The car was just over three years old at the time.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • missile
    • By missile 18th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 8,768 Posts
    • 4,232 Thanks
    missile
    Yes, you're right - though i wasnt sure about the likes of KIA.

On a car under manufacturers warranty i'm inclined to take it to the main dealer anyway if they're not looking a stupid amount for it.

The only one we didnt do recently was my FILs Nissan Note. The main dealer closest to us was looking a frankly ridiculous £200 for a standard service. We bought the full service kit off a main dealer on ebay for a fraction of that and had a local mechanic fit it. Save £100 ish from memory, which is a lot to my FIL.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    You may well have invalidated the warranty to save £100.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 18th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 23,732 Posts
    • 50,343 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Originally posted by missile

Certainly, if the local mechanic is not VAT registered.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 18th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Originally posted by missile
    The dealership I bought my Mazda from said that I could have the car serviced anywhere provided original Mazda parts were used and a receipt for the service, and the manufacturer's warranty would be unaffected.

If you were to take it to someone that wasn't competent, then obviously the manufacturer wouldn't repair shoddy workmanship for free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,241Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter