Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roasty79
    • By roasty79 28th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 5Thanks
    roasty79
    breaking a covenant
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    breaking a covenant 28th Jun 17 at 1:11 PM
    good afternoon,

we have a Sky dish on the front of our house, this is in breach of a covenant related to the house, when we bought the house Taylor Wimpey were still developing the site, they have now finished and the site is complete.

we are now selling and the buyers are saying they either want an indemnity policy or written consent, the Taylor Wimpey FAQ page says they wont pursue legal action against breach of covenants. i have offered to remove the dish or move it but the buyers solicitor is saying that the breach has already occured. in the slim chance that Taylor Wimpey did follow up on the dish, would they bother pursuing it on a house that used to have a dish?

to me it seems unreasonable to want an indemnity policy on something that isnt there.

TIA
Page 1
    • Pete7
    • By Pete7 28th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Pete7
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    The policy should be less than £100 so just pay it and keep the sale moving or risk loosing the sale.

Pete
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 28th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    If you removed the dish prior to exchange, would it actually be an issue for them anyway?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 28th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 5,793 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    It's totally unreasonable and I don't think they have sound legal grounds for requiring it, but rather than waste time arguing just get the policy.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 28th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 7,632 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    If the covenant says "no satellite dish" and you put up a sd you are in breach of the covenant.

If you remove the sd, you are no longer in breach of the covenant.

Be hopeful that your solicitor has more intelligence than your vendor's solicitor. If TW ever went to court after the sd had been removed, what could they claim for as the offending article had disappeared?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 28th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 23,130 Posts
    • 88,486 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 28th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    to me it seems unreasonable to want an indemnity policy on something that isnt there.

TIA
    Originally posted by roasty79
    There's many unreasonable things purchasers and their solicitors ask for, but few are cheaper than around £100.

Just do it.... and be happy you're not 'loosing' the sale, to quote another poster.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • patman99
    • By patman99 28th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    • 8,029 Posts
    • 9,450 Thanks
    patman99
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:21 PM
    TW had the same covenant on a development in a Town near me. As TV reception was patchy and there was no cable, the residents soon found a way around the covenant by mounting sattelite dishes on scaffold poles attached to the sheds that TW had erected in each garden.

TW tried to take action but their legal team told them they had no chance as the covenant only covered the house and not the shed.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £244/ £1000 (that's 24.4%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • roasty79
    • By roasty79 13th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    roasty79
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    this is still on going and to make it more interesting our buyers solicitor has taken it upon herself to contact TW to see if we had written consent, at no point did they inform us they were going to do it and now means that it is very unlikely we will be able to get an indemnity policy
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 13th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,810 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    harrys dad
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    It seems to me you might need to find another buyer, that is an outrageous thing for them to do.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 55,229 Posts
    • 48,468 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I'd take the dish down whatever.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 7,632 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Your buyer appears to have instructed the least intelligent solicitor in the UK. Does she have any actual experience of property conveyancing?
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 14-07-2017 at 3:39 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jul 17, 6:20 PM
    • 15,089 Posts
    • 13,411 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You've got a very simple choice.

1. Pay a hundred quid and buy the flamin' indemnity to shut 'em up.
    2. Point them to the TW website, and risk losing the sale.

You know the people involved...
    • Housebuyer2017
    • By Housebuyer2017 13th Jul 17, 6:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Housebuyer2017
    Unfortunately due to the solicitor contacting TW, getting an indemnity isn't an option as they won't issue one once enquiries have been made it seems a very silly mistake for the solicitor to make and should of known the consequence of suck action
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 13th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 2,699 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    If you're in the right position I'd tell the buyers to say goodbye and cite them pulling that stupid move as the reason. But I accept you undoubtedly have your own wheels turning and now want/need to proceed.

Can't believe what a drama some buyers make when it comes to buying a house. First time buyers?
    • konark
    • By konark 14th Jul 17, 1:58 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    konark
    good afternoon,

. i have offered to remove the dish or move it but the buyers solicitor is saying that the breach has already occured.

TIA
    Originally posted by roasty79
    The breach can be simply remedied by you removing the dish, that's allj TW would tell you to do if they cared less about enforcing the covenant. Buyer's solicitor is an idiot.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 23,130 Posts
    • 88,486 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Indemnity: £100. Removing the dish: probably < £50. What's not to like?

Nothing else to be done anyway.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 14th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Good Lord. What an idiot solicitor. Make noises about an indemnity policy for something that blatantly doesn't need one, and then take a pointless action that would invalidate any indemnity policy anyway? Have your solicitor send some strong words!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

7,096Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin