Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pedrobandito
    • By Pedrobandito 28th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Pedrobandito
    London - Edinburgh
    • 28th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    London - Edinburgh 28th Jun 17 at 12:28 PM
    Am looking to travel up to Edinburgh from London on 1st September and back on evening of 3rd and looking for advice, are the train ticket prices likely to go up if I leave booking it?
    We are going for a wedding and are not sure how many of us there will be yet so don't want to buy tickets for those who wont be coming but then also don't want to wait and pay extra because of waiting.

What should I do?? Help
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 28th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 5,025 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 28th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    If there are cheap advance tickets available (they usually go on sale around 12 weeks in advance) then I'd get them now as there are only limited numbers available - especially if you cannot be very flexible with dates/times.

At least buy tickets now for those definitely going
    • elverson
    • By elverson 28th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    elverson
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    Buy Advance fares now for those who are definitely going - these are sold in restricted numbers so if you leave it you're likely to have to pay more.

You could also look at flights depending on which side of London you are on?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 28th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 3,715 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    As per the above, flights can be pretty cheap on the budget airlines, especially if you can get away with only hand luggage. Obviously it depends on whether you can get to an airport in London easily/cheaply.

Also worth looking at the Caledonian sleeper train, I believe that's cheaper than a standard train, as long as you don't mind an overnight journey.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Pedrobandito
    • By Pedrobandito 28th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Pedrobandito
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    Thanks for the help, the longest train journey I have done before is about 40 minutes so am very new to this.

Looked at the sleeper and it was a bit pricey so going to book the seats for those that I know are going and worry about the others later.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 28th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 6,329 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    stclair
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    You might benefit from making a group booking depending on how many of you are travelling:

More than 10 persons

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/travel-savings/group-travel/

Between 3-9 persons

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/travel-savings/savings-for-small-groups/
    Last edited by stclair; 28-06-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    I Work For the RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 32,286 Posts
    • 27,026 Thanks
    custardy
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    We are making the reverse journey next week.
    The price difference from train to flying was minimal and for me the 4+hour travel time difference is worth it.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 8th Jul 17, 12:31 AM
    • 6,329 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    stclair
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:31 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:31 AM
    It looks like virgin east coast are doing a seat sale now.

The sale will all kick off on Wednesday 12th July, where more than one hundred thousand tickets will be up for grabs, set for travel between July 15 and September 15 2017.

The cheap tickets include plenty of UK hot spots including London, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and many more destinations, with a First Class journey to Leeds setting you back just £20.

You can pick yours up on the Virgin Trains website from 10am on the 12th July, until midnight on the 15th July.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/virgin-trains-first-class-sale-10533764
    I Work For the RBS Group
    • stclair
    • By stclair 15th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 6,329 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    stclair
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/deals/first-class-sale/
    I Work For the RBS Group
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin