Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Savingsbythebell
    • By Savingsbythebell 28th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 135Thanks
    Savingsbythebell
    Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out?
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out? 28th Jun 17 at 11:33 AM
    Apparently, they are gone already! I managed to buy a Mini Nes last time but didn't try for this one. Did anyone have any luck?
    Life's all about dem rich teas biscuits
Page 5
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I plan to put my spare up for £120 or so close to christmas, yes a small profit but also not outrageous.

Dont blame people selling them, blame nintendo for the massive under supply.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 1st Nov 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I decided to pick one up now it's been hacked to add your own games which I'll have a go at doing over the next few days hopefully. I do like the classic design of the box and some of the materials which brings back memories of the original.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 1st Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    joeypesci
    I plan to put my spare up for £120 or so close to christmas, yes a small profit but also not outrageous.

Dont blame people selling them, blame nintendo for the massive under supply.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    True. People moan about scalpers but it's capitalism. And Nintendo are notorious for stupidly under supplying.
    • SPFreely
    • By SPFreely 1st Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SPFreely
    Looks pretty neat and if someone has a basement the size of James Rolfe's, you've probably held on to your SNES carts to make full use of it. It does seem a bit on the expensive side though. This is more than half the price of some low end gaming PCs out there.

Correction, it doesn't take carts, unlike my plug and play Sega Genesis...
    Last edited by SPFreely; 01-11-2017 at 3:15 PM.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 3rd Nov 17, 2:21 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    mac.d
    Buy a spare and make 50% profit and blame it on Nintendo.....

Back in stock at Amazon.fr yet again. Nintendo have always said there will be more stock, it'd be nice if they managed to get significant stock numbers before Christmas rather than them just saying there will still be more stock coming next year.

Mine is checked and now wrapped up for a Christmas present. The set up of it and the games look that little bit better than the Sega Megadrive. I know you can hack the SNES to add more games, but for the person I've bought it for, I think the limited amount of games on it will actually be a good thing.

I do agree its a little bit expensive even at the standard £70, plus you also need to buy an AC adaptor to go with it. I know someone who paid £120.... totally not worth it!
    • ifstar
    • By ifstar 6th Nov 17, 9:54 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    ifstar
    Picked one up from amazon.fr earlier this evening. No hassle and delivery is cheap.

With regard to the AC adaptor, I read online that it can be powered through your tv USB ports so you don't actually need the plug.
    • Estheroid
    • By Estheroid 7th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Estheroid
    Check your local Argos - they may have stock in which is not showing on their main webpage. I walked in to the branch on the Strand last Monday and was able to order one from the warehouse which was delivered within 5 days. Branches of Smyths seem to be getting the odd one into their stores too. No need to pay over the RRP!
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I put my spare up for £95 a bit below the recent one's sold, glad I didnt buy in bulk as the profit on this is going to be small, maybe a tenner. (as I paid for overseas shipping to get this from holland).
    • Silly Worms
    • By Silly Worms 1st Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Silly Worms
    Tesco direct are showing as having stock available as I write, for £79-99
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Dec 17, 2:24 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Tesco direct are showing as having stock available as I write, for £79-99
    Originally posted by Silly Worms
    Too late - out of stock !!
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 1st Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    They aren't even worth £80 - the nostalgia factor is the only thing selling these. It is a shame people are paying so much for something that is really not worth it
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    They aren't even worth £80 - the nostalgia factor is the only thing selling these. It is a shame people are paying so much for something that is really not worth it
    Originally posted by Greatorex1987
    Nobody is forcing you to buy one - are they ?
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Most things arent worth what they cost to buy You only need to watch dragons den to see the huge margins people have now days.

Manufacture £5
    Distributer £15
    Retailer £40

The value is in what the consumer wants not the cost of manufacture.
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 1st Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    Most things arent worth what they cost to buy You only need to watch dragons den to see the huge margins people have now days.

Manufacture £5
    Distributer £15
    Retailer £40

The value is in what the consumer wants not the cost of manufacture.
    I have one and I understand the costs involved to make these things. I am literally saying the product is not worth £80 so I hope nobody is overpaying for this because it is really not worth the money. I'm not even especially unhappy with it either, just being honest.
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I have one and I understand the costs involved to make these things. I am literally saying the product is not worth £80 so I hope nobody is overpaying for this because it is really not worth the money. I'm not even especially unhappy with it either, just being honest.
    If you collect nintendo products its invaluable, so you didnt understand what I said.

Also another way of looking at it is someone can buy this for their kid, they got a console "and" 20 games for £80, which is far better value than any modern console.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 1st Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    How much are they worth then ?
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 1st Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I picked one up a few weeks ago from Smyths and managed to get the custom firmware on without issue, it's extremely easy to do and the additional games integrate well on the in game interface.

The quality of the controllers is extremely good, a pair of the Buffalo SNES controllers which are generally regarded as good quality would be £35 and they don't feel as good as these ones. I do like that the design of the packaging is very much classic SNES and the little SNES looks perfect, just shrunk down from the original.

I will admit though after some frantic Tetris Attack 2 games, I've not felt much inclination to back to it.

John
    • phillw
    • By phillw 2nd Dec 17, 12:20 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    phillw
    Also another way of looking at it is someone can buy this for their kid, they got a console "and" 20 games for £80, which is far better value than any modern console.
    I don't know. I reckon you could pick up a PlayStation 1, 2 or maybe even 3 at a push.

But sure, some people will be happy with paying £80. One just sold on ebay for £201, it received 38 bids. The most expensive one sold on ebay uk is £499 back in september. I don't understand those people at all.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 2nd Dec 17, 2:52 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    If you collect nintendo products its invaluable, so you didnt understand what I said.

I doubt most kids would have any interest in this at all (for starters, it doesn't play minecraft) and the main appeal of the Snes mini is nostalgia to let adults play their old favourites. The games haven't aged as well as I thought and if I was spending money on kids for gaming I'd get them either a selection of games for their tablet or an Xbox 360/PS3 and a range of games. With the new consoles out, the price of the old consoles has plummeted and £80 would get a console and a load of decent games.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 2nd Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I have had kids in a party be really addicted to playing on retropie.

Snes era games are very enjoyable, not everyone is addicted to the latest 3d graphics.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,093Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter