Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Savingsbythebell
    • By Savingsbythebell 28th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 135Thanks
    Savingsbythebell
    Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out?
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out? 28th Jun 17 at 11:33 AM
    Apparently, they are gone already! I managed to buy a Mini Nes last time but didn't try for this one. Did anyone have any luck?
    Life's all about dem rich teas biscuits
Page 3
    • Billy101
    • By Billy101 10th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Billy101
    My kid got this as a gift on his birthday by his aunt :P I do play it sometimes though
    • Billy101
    • By Billy101 10th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Billy101
    Mini Nes
    They probably got it free and gifted my son
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 11th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    RichL74
    My kid got this as a gift on his birthday by his aunt :P I do play it sometimes though
    Originally posted by Billy101
    Amazing, please can I have a go in your time machine?

Seeing as its not out yet...
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 11th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Is that only because you have ordered two ? :-)
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    you caught me

if I get one from argos or tesco I will probably cancel my game uk order tho so stays at 2.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 4th Aug 17, 4:37 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    mac.d
    Only just realised this console might be ideal for someone I know who is autistic and loves games. But this is going to be *really* hard to get hold of on release day isn't it....
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 4th Aug 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Only just realised this console might be ideal for someone I know who is autistic and loves games. But this is going to be *really* hard to get hold of on release day isn't it....
    Originally posted by mac.d
    I'm not sure why it would be better than the wealth of other gaming options out there? I loved the SNES back in the day but the hype for this console and the NES Mini has got completely out of hand, even for Nintendo fans there's frustratingly few games.
    • Crazy Jamie
    • By Crazy Jamie 5th Aug 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    Crazy Jamie
    What makes you think that this is particularly suited compared to other similar options?
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 5th Aug 17, 8:47 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    mac.d
    More simplistic gameplay, no discs/cartdiges to load and a simpler controller are the reasons why I think it *might* be better than other consoles.
    • Hackers76
    • By Hackers76 5th Aug 17, 9:32 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Hackers76
    I managed to pre order one at Toys R Us but since then I have had my credit card replaced due to a fraud attempt. I contacted them to ask how I go about changing my payment card and they said it cannot be done. I may get a call when the payment fails but they cannot guarantee it.

Pretty disappointed by the quality of their customer service ��
    • marywooyeah
    • By marywooyeah 6th Aug 17, 12:26 AM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    marywooyeah
    I've got one pre ordered. I managed to get a nes mini when they came out by pre ordering too. Seems to be the only way to get them in my experience.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 6th Aug 17, 2:12 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    More simplistic gameplay, no discs/cartdiges to load and a simpler controller are the reasons why I think it *might* be better than other consoles.
    I wouldn't necessarily say those are attributes desirable to autistic children although the spectrum is wide and I wouldn't say the gameplay on many of the games is that simple either, just because the graphics are simple doesn't mean the gameplay is and in the 16-bit era many games were far more challenging to stretch out the limited resources.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 6th Aug 17, 12:18 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    mac.d
    I wouldn't necessarily say those are attributes desirable to autistic children although the spectrum is wide and I wouldn't say the gameplay on many of the games is that simple either, just because the graphics are simple doesn't mean the gameplay is and in the 16-bit era many games were far more challenging to stretch out the limited resources.
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    Cheers I know what you mean about the gameplay not necessarily being more simple, but a simpler controller with less buttons (and no joystick) will certainly help. And I'm just thinking that at least some of the games included look like being failry easy to play, although I know there are challenging games on there too.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 7th Aug 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I am actually considering cancelling my orders now, it was ordered based on the hype and the nostalgia. Now having second thoughts. I of course have since built a retropie system which has just about every released game on it.
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 8th Aug 17, 10:39 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    RichL74
    What makes you think that this is particularly suited compared to other similar options?
    Originally posted by Crazy Jamie
    No moving parts, plug and play etc?
    • Crazy Jamie
    • By Crazy Jamie 10th Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    Crazy Jamie
    No moving parts, plug and play etc?
    Originally posted by RichL74
    There are other options with those benefits without trying to get hold of one of these.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 11th Aug 17, 9:26 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    I'm a Nintendo fan - so I wouldn't want to knock these 'mini' consoles too much...but they really should be thought of as a novelty rather than a robust gaming system. The controllers aren't wireless and the leads are quite short... don't expect to sit back on the sofa with the TV on the other side of the room! While the NES Mini came with some classic games, there were only 30 in total compared to a library of several hundred for the original system. The 'mini' consoles are fun, but personally, I'm not convinced they're worth the high prices they have been exchanging hands for. I can't see the SNES Mini being too much different.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 11th Aug 17, 3:46 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    mac.d
    There are other options with those benefits without trying to get hold of one of these.
    Originally posted by Crazy Jamie
    What are the other options you'd suggest?
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 14th Aug 17, 10:49 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    RichL74
    What are the other options you'd suggest?
    Emulators on Android phones and downloading the ROMs one would guess.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 14th Aug 17, 4:02 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    mac.d
    Thanks RichL74, unfortunately a tablet isn't any good as holding and using a touch screen hasn't been a success.

I know it's probably possible to build a console with a Raspberry Pi kit that could be used to run emulators, but for various reasons that's not an option. It needs to be plug n play, and fairly simple to use, even if they have no gaming experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,374Users online

Martin's Twitter