Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CCFC_80
    • By CCFC_80 27th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,275Posts
    • 977Thanks
    CCFC_80
    Reply from an employer to a job vacancy
    • 27th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    Reply from an employer to a job vacancy 27th Jun 17 at 10:00 PM
    Just asking peoples thoughts on this in ref to a job I recently applied for and the response from employer

I recently applied for a job by email with a local company and apparently sent my CV in the wrong format. This is what response I got from the head of HR at the company.

(names and odd bits have been edited but the main gist is accurate)

Dear ***
    Thank you for taking an interest in****. However, you really should pay attention to the name and file format of the attachement to your application.

Should you still be interested please attach your CV correctly named with a file suffice that aloows me to open it.

Regards
    HR Director

I thought the email was really patronising and as you can see contained spelling mistakes. I think a simple, thank you for applying for the above role but we cannot recognise your CV format. Could you send it again in word or PDF would have sufficed. I had to rise to the bait and responded with the following email which I know would obviously rule me out of getting the job

And maybe you should pay attention to your response as there are a number of spelling errors by using a spellchecker. Not very professional.

I didnt expect any further response but he/she replied back with

I am glad you spotted them, doesn't set a good impression does it, exactly the point.

I just thought this was so unprofessional and replied to emphasise this. it appears from the initial email he/she deliberately wrote the email in response to my application with the spelling mistakes to see how I would react. Even if I had attached my CV, I am fairly sure they would not have taken my application any further anyway

Rant more or less over but just thought it was so unprofessional how a head of HR would behave
Page 4
    • jbond
    • By jbond 16th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    Was that remark really necessary?
    Originally posted by karcher
    No, it was completely stupid!

I'm wondering what the 'please attach your CV correctly named' meant? Don't think you mentioned if you had made an error with that?

However, regardless of that, it was indeed a very inappropriate way for a potential new employer to respond, and I definitely have sympathy for the way you responded, and wouldn't mark you down for it at all.

The 'relationship' between the employee and employer doesn't exist yet, so it's very unwise to be trying something on like that, at that stage.

Let's face facts - if they didn't want you then they wouldn't have given you the opportunity to resubmit your CV.

Perhaps YOU need to face some facts? They couldn't open his CV? So, apart from his email address and name on the CV document, they wouldn't know anything about him or his experience?
    Not sure what you mean by 'didn't want you', but if you meant experience wise, then that's rubbish, because they didn't know him, did they?!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 16th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    robatwork
    Great thread!

The speculation is intense, however. Let's look at just the facts

OP submitted CV through portal in .DOC or .PDF
    HR submitted response that was either illiterate, or sarcastic
    OP wants a job
    HR has a job with this company
    HR didn't bin application

That's it.

If the OP was really interested in this particular job he would have swallowed his pride and responded perhaps with a smile in his email with both DOC and PDF attached directly (or whatever format they actually specified), or at least a request to ask what format they would like.

Some people are illiterate and/or dyslexic, and it doesn't make that company necessarily bad to work for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,988Posts Today

6,456Users online

Martin's Twitter