Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 27th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1,336Posts
    • 562Thanks
    Patr100
    Ebico RHE
    • 27th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    Ebico RHE 27th Jun 17 at 5:33 PM
    Well the recent thread on the Ebico/RHE/SSE split has been closed?
    I switched to Ebico Zero in April and entered gas reading but no record of readings seem to be kept so far and am awaiting first quarterly bill which is "being prepared".

The account info so far is virtually non existent, other than tariff charge. my question is:
    When you are with them a bit longer, can you enter readings to get an up to date cost of use anytime, regardless of whether your bill is due ?
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
Page 2
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 3rd Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    Xbigman
    But what are the unit costs and is it no standing charge? And what happens at the end of the fix, back to Zero?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 3rd Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    EachPenny
    But what are the unit costs and is it no standing charge? And what happens at the end of the fix, back to Zero?
    Originally posted by Xbigman
    I just took a look for my area. The SC for dual fuel E7 (single fuel not allowed) works out at nearly 45p/day... that's the point I lost interest

But the kWh rates were 17p (day) 8.3p (night) 3p (gas) (all rounded up a bit)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 3rd Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    So Ebico have now launched a tariff with an exit fee, tied in minimum length, and a big standing charge have they?

Once with a single charge no matter how you paid, Ebico looks very different now.

All gone a bit Animal Farm, hasn't it.

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

I predict huge price hikes on the Zero tariffs in January 2018.

The Zero tariffs become Ebico's "standard variable" equivalent and they become just like all the others with deals for some and rip everyone else off.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 3rd Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Neil49
    I know that I will get a quarterly bill but what I don't know is the billing dates. When I've switched in the past I've ended up with a first bill that wasn't a quarter, it was whatever part of the billing cycle happened to be left when I joined.
    As I'm paid 4 weekly a change in the billing cycle means moving payments around on my spreadsheet so I'm impatient to know the details and get it all set up.

Oh for the days when there was one supplier and everything just worked.

Darren
    Originally posted by Xbigman
    I've just received a paper bill through the post and it is for the period 23rd March to 22nd June, so it would appear that the 3 month cycle starts from the date you switched and is not adjusted to the first day of the month.

As far as the bill goes (which was a combination of my readings and a final estimate) it was pretty much spot on.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 4th Jul 17, 2:54 AM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    Xbigman
    Thats good to know. My new billing period will be pretty close to my previous.

Darren

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 4th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    ...it would appear that the 3 month cycle starts from the date you switched and is not adjusted to the first day of the month.
    Originally posted by Neil49
    Thanks that very useful, I emailed Ebico to ask when my first quarterly bill would be generated and when I should give a meter reading.

I got the less that useful reply of please give meeting reading on 11th month and bill will be generated XX days later. So I don't think all the RHE people understand that ebico does quarterly, in addition to monthly billing.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 4th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    Ilona
    I've just checked my account. I've four readings on my gas history, but only one on my electricity history. Don't know why that is because I send them both at the same time.

Ilona

PS. Just sent Ebico an email asking why.
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Had an email back from them.

I'm sorry, I can't find any electricity meter readings on your account apart from the opening readings you provided for your switch.

We only actually need meter readings once every three months, when we calculate your quarterly bills. We'll remind you by letter when we need the meter readings. Your first bill will be calculated in the next couple of weeks.

I have checked, and there are no issues on your Ebico account, so any meter readings you submit in the future will show up in your history.

My reply back to them.

Ok. I send regular readings so you can build up a picture of my usage, I thought this would be useful in case you send me estimated bills. So you are saying you will always ask for readings before you calculate the bills. Sending a letter is a bit of a long winded way of going about it. Surely email would be quicker and cheaper. I will wait to hear from you then.

So, it took a week to reply to my email. They don't know why there is only one reading in my electricity history. They only want readings four times a year. I prefer to keep track of my usage more often than that. I'll see what happens next.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 4th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I think Ebico need to be a bit careful. I recently switched from SSE/Ebico as my usage indicates a zero standing charge tariff. Many of their customers have a greater than normal propensity to change, so in spite of Boxer's dramatics above, they know they have to be careful about any changes.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 4th Jul 17, 11:18 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Had an email back from them.

I'm sorry, I can't find any electricity meter readings on your account apart from the opening readings you provided for your switch.

We only actually need meter readings once every three months, when we calculate your quarterly bills. We'll remind you by letter when we need the meter readings. Your first bill will be calculated in the next couple of weeks.

I have checked, and there are no issues on your Ebico account, so any meter readings you submit in the future will show up in your history.

My reply back to them.

Ok. I send regular readings so you can build up a picture of my usage, I thought this would be useful in case you send me estimated bills. So you are saying you will always ask for readings before you calculate the bills. Sending a letter is a bit of a long winded way of going about it. Surely email would be quicker and cheaper. I will wait to hear from you then.

So, it took a week to reply to my email. They don't know why there is only one reading in my electricity history. They only want readings four times a year. I prefer to keep track of my usage more often than that. I'll see what happens next.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    To be fair there is nothing stopping you submitting readings more regularly, just you are on quarterly billing so they will only use a reading once a quarter!
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 5th Jul 17, 4:11 AM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    Xbigman
    Ebico are talking rubbish. I submitted readings on the 24th April and again on the 15th June and both show up in my history. Maybe they only show your last two readings but they definitely show two and not one. Maybe the readings need to be more than a set time apart? Like 6 weeks.

Darren

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 5th Jul 17, 10:38 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    My Electric meter readings are showing on Ebico website, however I was previously a RHE customer so that maybe why it is working.

In about a week it will be 3 months since I switched to Ebico, but I've had no correspondence asking for my quarterly meter reading.

After previous hassles with Ebico or RHE agents not seeming to understand they do quarterly billing, I was very close to switching away. I didn't since Ebico were good when I previously used them, but now guessing now that was more about SSE than Ebico.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I was a RHE electricity customer and have switched to Ebico Zero (same unit price minus the standing charge) and my supply has now officially switched.

All my previous meter readings from the past year with RHE are listed in my Ebico online account too. I think this may be because the "account.ebico.org.uk" website is run on the same servers as RHE's own customers accounts so it looks like certain data is being passed over. Whether this is intentionally or just a bug in their system who knows.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 7th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    I was a RHE electricity customer and have switched to Ebico Zero (same unit price minus the standing charge) and my supply has now officially switched.

All my previous meter readings from the past year with RHE are listed in my Ebico online account too. I think this may be because the "account.ebico.org.uk" website is run on the same servers as RHE's own customers accounts so it looks like certain data is being passed over. Whether this is intentionally or just a bug in their system who knows.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    RHE supplied you and you are still supplied by RHE so its not that surprising
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    LeeUK
    RHE supplied you and you are still supplied by RHE so its not that surprising
    Originally posted by trickytree1963
    Yes I'm aware of that but I still had to go through a "switch" to effectively change tariff.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 7th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Are you sure you are getting the same unit rate on Ebico Zero as you were with RHE but no SC as I can't see the Ebico unit rates being the same at all , in fact unit rates are higher. Generates a saving if you are a low user because of Zero SC but unit rates are higher.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Are you sure you are getting the same unit rate on Ebico Zero as you were with RHE but no SC as I can't see the Ebico unit rates being the same at all , in fact unit rates are higher. Generates a saving if you are a low user because of Zero SC but unit rates are higher.
    Originally posted by trickytree1963
    I was on RHE Prime v3 at roughly 13p per unit but when that came to an end in May I was moved to the Evergreen tariff at 16.47.xxp per unit + 26.xxp standing charge. Ebico Zero is 16.47.xxp per unit + 00p standing charge. No brainier.

Can't remember what the saving is now, but uSwitch was showing me a saving based on my last years KWH usage.
    Last edited by LeeUK; 07-07-2017 at 1:28 PM.
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 7th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    The whole Ebico thing is so !!!!ing confusing.

Had an email earlier in the year saying no longer part of SSE.

Had another e-mail saying ooops we're not allowed to break away when on fixed tariff you still are with SSE.

SSE are taking care of my bills etc fine.

I mentioned Ebico to the girl on the phone she didn't have a clue.

What happens when my fixed tariff ends - is that when the SSE service stops? I'm on their no standing charge gas service, I don't use gas as the supply is blocked off (was only gas fire but condemned everything electric now) . But still have to drag the meter around with me which is a pain in the !!!!.
    Last edited by NoNoDrama; 07-07-2017 at 6:57 PM.
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 7th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    Have just received my first bill, but the opening readings are different from the ones I submitted for both my gas and electric. I also received an estimated bill and received no request to provide a meter reading (other than the opening one)
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    LeeUK

Had another e-mail saying ooops we're not allowed to break away when on fixed tariff you still are with SSE.

What happens when my fixed tariff ends - is that when the SSE service stops? I'm on their no standing charge gas service, I don't use gas as the supply is blocked off (was only gas fire but condemned everything electric now) . But still have to drag the meter around with me which is a pain in the !!!!.
    Originally posted by NoNoDrama
    Have the meter removed then you won't get any bills at all but I'm not sure how easy that is or at all possible. When I had a gas supply put in it was another 6 months before I got meter and in that time I didn't have to register with any energy company.

My gas supply is with Ebico via the old SSE tariff and my recent bill still has the Ebico logo and and EquiGas as the tariff name. I Thought SSE dumped Ebico and were changing the name of the Ebico tariffs to SSE Zero? Thats what they said in a letter months ago.
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 9th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    WhoIsThat

Originally posted by NoNoDrama
    I can fully appreciate how "!!!!ing" confused you obviously are.

Allow me to assist.
    Ebico (whilst in partnership with SSE) never offered any fixed tariffs.

So presumably you were not even supplied by Ebico, but probably are supplied by SSE.

In relation to what happens at the expiry of a fixed tariff, the supplier will move you to their (expensive) standard variable tariff unless you elect something different.

The supplier should conatct you 49-42 days prior to the expiry of any fixed contract, and that would be an opportune time to consult a comparison site (if you don't do so earlier)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,666Posts Today

8,562Users online

Martin's Twitter