Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 27th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    improve score
    • 27th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    improve score 27th Jun 17 at 11:49 AM
    We are finally back on track and debts paid except one.

One we didn't even realise we had anymore! We're looking into a mortgage and I checked out credit scores with experian. Mine is 966 and other half is 444 *gulp*. Logged on to noddle and it shows a debt, I honestly thought had been settled, as a default. It is from British gas back in 2007! It says it defaulted September last year though? I can't find any records to say we paid so clearly we owe but before September there was no record of it on his credit file. I know this because we wanted a mortgage last year but never applied because of other debts.

Should I pay or dispute it?
Page 1
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 27th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    Even if you pay it, the default will remain on the file until September 2022 and you'll only be able to apply for subprime lenders with a default that recent. You need to dispute it.

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk

You need to check your records with all 3, and same for your partner.

Have a read of this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5591279
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 27th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    Will do. Thank you
  • National Debtline
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    Hi Struggling to pay

If this is a debt that has remained unpaid since 2007 then I would agree with Candyapply, you need to dispute it. A default should be registered in a timely manner. If your complaint with the company who registered the default is not successful you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) www.ico.org.uk. Good luck.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 27th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    We also have a finance account with very in his name. £550ish. If we clear that will it improve anything or should we carry on as normal? It is buy now pay later and have been paying every couple of weeks
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 27th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    How do I go about disputing it? Do I go to British gas or through the credit check website?
  • National Debtline
    • 27th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 4:41 PM
    Hi there again

I’m assuming from what was said earlier there is no default on the Very account? In that case (and if the payments are up to date) this will usually be beneficial as it demonstrates someone’s ability to handle credit in a responsible way.

With regards to the British Gas debt, if British Gas registered the default you must go directly to them. The credit reference agency only records the information British Gas gives them and they would not change it solely on your request. Hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 28th Jun 17, 4:44 AM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 28th Jun 17, 4:44 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 4:44 AM
    There is something very wrong here, Nine year debts are not suddenly defaulted out of the blue, three years after they would presumably become statute barred. If British Gas ceased to be your energy provider nine years ago and assuming you, for whatever reason, failed to settle the final account and you have not communicated with British Gas (or anybody else) about this debt since 2007 and were not being pursued for this debt by anybody, it almost defies belief that British Gas would suddenly put a default on your credit files eight or nine years later.
    British Gas don't even report my account to any credit reference agency as far as I know and it certainly doesn't appear on my Experian report. Which agency did British Gas report your partner's default to? Experian presumably by the credit score numbers. If as you say there was no previous record of this account on his credit files, how is the default shown? What is the payment history like? How is the payment history shown for the 6 years prior to the September 2016 default date?
    We also have a finance account with very in his name. £550ish. If we clear that will it improve anything or should we carry on as normal? It is buy now pay later and have been paying every couple of weeks
    Originally posted by Struggling to pay
    I don't really think this matters one way or the other but if you are paying interest then it would make sense to pay it off.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 28-06-2017 at 4:55 AM.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 28th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    There is something very wrong here, Nine year debts are not suddenly defaulted out of the blue, three years after they would presumably become statute barred. If British Gas ceased to be your energy provider nine years ago and assuming you, for whatever reason, failed to settle the final account and you have not communicated with British Gas (or anybody else) about this debt since 2007 and were not being pursued for this debt by anybody, it almost defies belief that British Gas would suddenly put a default on your credit files eight or nine years later.
    British Gas don't even report my account to any credit reference agency as far as I know and it certainly doesn't appear on my Experian report. Which agency did British Gas report your partner's default to? Experian presumably by the credit score numbers. If as you say there was no previous record of this account on his credit files, how is the default shown? What is the payment history like? How is the payment history shown for the 6 years prior to the September 2016 default date?

I don't really think this matters one way or the other but if you are paying interest then it would make sense to pay it off.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Ben - you would think that would be the case, but this is not a one-off incident! Read the link I posted above, and there are other numerous threads with the same subject I have come across on the forum before.

Also, just because BG may not report your data back to the CRAs, doesn't mean they don't for anyone else. Could be that your account is older and they didn't report data before a certain time period who knows. Either way, the OP isn't lying, they do report to CRAs;
    https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/Bills-payments/Trouble-paying/Sharing-information-with-credit-reference-agencies.html

OP - here is the link on how to get the ball rolling regarding removing the BG default: https://debtcamel.co.uk/british-gas-default/

Please come back and update the thread if anything happens
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • king of siam
    • By king of siam 8th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    king of siam
    Having the same battles just now.... how did this turn out??
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 13,144 Posts
    • 13,442 Thanks
    zx81
    What battles are you having?
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 12th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    Still trying with British gas. They keep putting the phone down on my partner so we're going to go on to the ICO as previous post suggested.
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 12th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    I lost my temper today when the mortgage company called me to say we had been refused for a mortgage because of this default account. Called British gas and told them get it fixed today or I will go to the ICO. She even had the cheek to ask for physical evidence that this is the reason we were declined and for a copy of my partner's credit file! I might also add she admitted they had no record of our account, default or otherwise! Obviously I refused to give her a copy of our mortgage application and credit file.

She eventually agreed she had not clue who had applied the default or why and that she will have it removed. Win! Should be gone in the next 14 days.

It was tough and it took a lot of patience and writing a lot of names of the many people I spoke to but I got there in the end.

@King of Siam - don't give up. Tell them it doesn't belong there and it is their duty to remove it! She tried really hard to trip me up but no had all the details I needed. If they say they have archived your account details than you have them in a corner. They cannot access archived data!

Best of luck and I hope this helps others
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 12th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Thanks for the feedback Struggling to pay ; it helps us to fine-tune our advice, and makes it all worthwhile.
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 13th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    It might not seem like it to some, but this was a big win for me! I almost paid it just to have it done with and I'm so glad I didn't!

Massive thank you to candy apple and debtline for your advice and fingers crossed when we reapply we will be successful
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 13th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    Ben8282 it was noddle
    • Struggling to pay
    • By Struggling to pay 24th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Struggling to pay
    Anyone know how long this may take to come off my file?

British gas said it can take up to 14 days and I've disputed it with noddle too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,319Users online

Martin's Twitter