Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 27th Jun 17, 2:00 AM
    • 149Posts
    • 429Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    The Financial Adventures of VelvetFreak
    • 27th Jun 17, 2:00 AM
    The Financial Adventures of VelvetFreak 27th Jun 17 at 2:00 AM
    Hello Friends

I recently became debt free 'cept the mortgage, so I thought it was time for a new diary. If you would like to read my debt free diary, it can be found here. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610244

Long story short, I borrowed $8000 from my mum to assist with the downpayment to purchase of my 1bed flat. I paid it back in about 15 months.

A little bit about me: I am 23 years old and I am from Australia, hence I am operating in dollars. I have a pretty decent job, but am only working part-time and am looking to do something else. I have had two interview so far, but didn't get either of the jobs. I did not go to university, so I'm going to start looking into some options to do some further study and get some kind of qualification.

My initial goal is to save up an Emergency Fund of $10,000, and once that is done, start hitting the mortgage with overpayments. Also along the way I am doing some very minor renovations to my flat such as painting and whatnot, as well as purchasing new furniture and decor etc. It kinda needs a new kitchen, bathroom and flooring, but is perfectly liveable at the moment, so that will have to wait a few years.

I'm not sure if you have it in the UK, but here in Aus we have this neat thing called mortgage offset or mortgage redraw, which in a nutshell lets you pay extra against your mortgage to save on interest, but you have access to withdraw the extra funds at any time. So every dollar that I do manage to save will be stored in the mortgage, and that will be a dollar that I don't have to pay interest on. Hope that made sense

In time I will post my budget and all that fun stuff.

Currently I have saved $1725 / $10,000 for my Emergency Fund.

And it's almost time to lodge taxes. Hopefully I should get a decent return this year!

Anyways, I must go and find something for lunch and then be off to work. Back later with more ramblings.
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $3749.35 / $10,000
Page 3
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 6th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hey Cherry. Got last payslip today. Unfortunately the amount I was paid is correct I get paid fortnightly but they only owed my for one week of pay and I didn't factor that into my initial calculations.

Anyways, not to worry. Work is getting better as the days fly by. I can't believe how fast it's going

Weirdly enough, I've ever mentioned on here what kind of job I actually do. Not really sure why. Anyways, I guess now's the time. I used to work in banking but now I work in a financial planning firm doing an admin/assistant sort of a role.

Money-wise, I returned about $100 worth of work clothes that I wasn't totally sure about. Still do need some work stuff but unsure whether to spend the money on that or to repair my phone. The phone will need to be done eventually. I just don't want to drop the cash

Anyways, better be off to bed. Goodnight everyone
    Last edited by VelvetFreak; 07-09-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Shame about the pay, though I guess it makes sense.

You seem to be in the right line of business to do well on this site! Anything with numbers (except suduko) rather baffles me. Just the wrong sort of brain, I suppose.

Night!
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 11th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    It's amusing to me that I chose to pursue a career in such an industry when maths is definitely not my strongsuit. I suppose I just really like money

Speaking of money, I blew the clothing budget by about $100. So the old emergency contribution is looking a bit slim this fortnight.

Orrrrr I might just have to get my shiz together and sell some of my crap out of the garage.

In sad news, I made the decision to shut down my fish tank. It's pretty big and I have only got two fish left (and one looks like it might be on it's way out..poor fishy). They have now been moved into a makeshift pond situation and I think my friend who has lots of fish wants to take them. Now just gotta get organised and sell the tank. It's a bit of a shame because I really enjoy the hobby, but at the same time it's also quite expensive to maintain and the filter, lights and heater add quite a bit to the power bill. Also you can be guaranteed that if you pick a favourite fish, it will be the first one to get sick and die. Now that I'm working a full time job, I just don't have the time to even look at it, nevermind maintaining it.

Work is going well and it's all starting to really sink in. I was a bit scared at the beginning that I wouldn't get it, but it's definitely all coming together now, so I am very happy about that.

Tomorrow is payday at new job!!!
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 15th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Happy Friday night!

My third week of work is done and dusted and I am really starting to feel settled in, which I am very grateful for.

Overspent by $110 this week so only managed to put $190 towards the Emergency Fund. Better than nothing I suppose

New total = $3749.35

In other news, my employee shares from my old job are finally available to cash out but I am nervous to pull the trigger as the share price is a little on the low end at the moment. It's just me being greedy more than anything, because I know that as soon as I cash them out, the value will go back up again I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Help.

As always, I am exhausted. I think my friend wants to do something tomorrow and I am really not feeling it.

Need to reign my spending and return to normal, Also need to get more organised with bringing lunches to work as I have been driving home for lunch which is probably a waste of petrol
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 18th Sep 17, 4:09 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    We gave up on our fish tank for similar reasons. It was great when we had more disposable income, but they're surprisingly expensive!

I assume you can hold onto the shares indefinitely? As long as the company's strong and established (and maybe not in coal), I'd just hang onto them. They'll probably get you a better rate of return than the mortgage interest.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    September 2017 - $218,597.77
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 18th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Agreed ACE, sooo expensive. I have sunk so much money into it over the years, it makes me want to cry just thinking about it. But it was fun while I was doing it. Must find a cheaper hobby.

Today's MSE effort was that I took lunch to work so didn't waste petrol driving home. Went to the shops and bought enough food for the next 3ish days which is practically unheard of for me as I'm usually at the shops at least every second day :/

I'm trying to get back into reading more often but I find it really hard to actually make myself sit down and start. Damn phone and computer. I have deleted some of the more addictive apps off my phone so hopefully that will help.

Anyways, I should go off and read now. Any good book recommendations? I do like self help and financial books, but perhaps not to read before bed. Not much into paranormal/sc-fi type things although I am a big Harry Potter fan.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 19th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Well I finally pressed the button to cash my shares out. Figured they are better off sitting against my mortgage and saving me 4.29% interest per year than me worrying about the price going down. $3123 should be hitting my account here in the next few days.

I took lunch to work again today. Yay me.

Anyways, I suppose I should be off to wash dishes and clean my house which currently looks like a rubbish dump
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Today's MSE effort was that I took lunch to work so didn't waste petrol driving home. Went to the shops and bought enough food for the next 3ish days which is practically unheard of for me as I'm usually at the shops at least every second day :/
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak
    It's surprising how much cash I save when I haven't got time to go to the shops. (Mind you, my meals can get a bit weird and unbalanced in consequence so I still need to go occasionally).

Anyways, I should go off and read now. Any good book recommendations? I do like self help and financial books, but perhaps not to read before bed. Not much into paranormal/sc-fi type things although I am a big Harry Potter fan.
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak
    I know this is a children's book in theory, but have you read 'Goodnight Mr Tom' by Michelle Magorian? Or 'A Street Cat Named Bob' by James Bowen? Or if you like an element of detection, the 'Number One Ladies' Detective Agency books (Alexander McCall Smith) are super. Looking through my Kindle, I'd also recommend 'Popular' by Maya van Wagenen which is amazing, or Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson, which has that magical element.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 19th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hi Cherry! Thank you so much for the recommendations. I really do need to get to the library at some point.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    If you have an e-reader, many libraries (over here - hopefully in Australia too) do electronic loans. There's a Kindle app you can download even if you don't have an actual Kindle, too. This latter will, in my experience, save you no real money at all because temptation is always there!
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 20th Sep 17, 5:00 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    My Kindle is the worst money pit I own. You can borrow ebooks from local libraries, but only on a non-Kindle e-reader, and the temptation to buy a new book in the evening after the kids have gone to bed is SO HUGE. I never have time to get to the library and when I do I end up paying overdue fines, which is just not on really.

I re-read Gone With The Wind this past fortnight, which is excellent value for money given its length. Velvet, if you tell me five books you have liked in the past I will have lots of recommendations for you.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 20th Sep 17, 9:32 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    I sold my kindle and put the money towards my debt because let's face it, I'm too tight to pay for books just realised that the library is only 900 meters from work so I really should walk there in my lunch break.

ACE, I have never read gone with the wind but I really should.
    Call me a weirdo, but my favourite author is V.C. Andrews and really liked her standalone book My Sweet Audrina. I like anything by John Green. Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden. To Kill A Mockingbird. I think you get the idea. I like stuff with an element of drama/craziness/weird happenings, but nothing too paranormal.

I also loveeee to re-read books. Perhaps because I don't have a great memory so I forget most of it.

In other news, I got pizza for dinner and it was great.
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 21st Sep 17, 2:53 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    My Sweet Audrina and To Kill a Mockingbird, as a combination, cracks me up!

Ok. I recommend:
    Fingersmith (Sarah Waters)
    Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn) - both of these are fast paced, a bit crazy and have the plot twist thing like Audrina.
    The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
    The Rosie Project (Graeme Simsion) - I thought I would hate this, but it is brilliant and funny and if you like John Green I reckon you'll like this.

You might actually really like Gone with the Wind, it's surprisingly fast paced for a 1000 page book, but the race stuff is SO BAD. I kind of read some bits of it through my fingers so I don't know that I could recommend it with a clear conscience.

In another life I want a job where I just recommend books to people. It is my favourite thing.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 23rd Sep 17, 12:40 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you so much Ace for the book recommendations.

It's Saturday morning here. I had a very quiet Friday night in. Resisted the urge to get takeaway junk and ate junk from the freezer instead.

Company shares should be hitting my bank account any day now. Am deadset excited about that. At next payday I should have at least $7k in the Emergency Fund

I spent most of last night scheming about house renovations. I desperately want to do new flooring but didn't want to do it in part of the house and leave the rest, but at the same time, I don't have the $$ for a full renovation, and even if I did save up and do it, it may not be wise to pour too much money into a 1-bed unit.

Anywho, my plan involves ripping out part of my kitchen (breakfast bar type thing), and moving the pantry to the other side of the room. And perhaps saving some of the parts that I rip out to be used in the laundry to make a sink/counter. I'm also thinking that with a bit of shuffling around, I could possibly be able to get a dishwasher installed . It won't be perfect or brand new, but for the cost of a couple of appliances and an electrician & plumber and a bit of physical labour, I think would be worth it (need to get an electrician in at some point anyway)

I should really post some pictures so you can see what I mean. Let me know if you're at all interested and I will post some.

What I'm getting at here is I think I will pause my EF savings for a little while and save up some money to do this. If I'm going to make this sort of change to my house, I'd rather do it sooner so that I actually get to enjoy the fruits of my labour for a good amount of time. I think it would just make me so much happier living here because I would actually be able to have a dining table and floors that are easy to clean. You get the idea

Also I finally listed my fish tank for sale on FB. Yay me.
    • wildesavings
    • By wildesavings 23rd Sep 17, 7:16 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    wildesavings
    Sounds great, just be careful that you don't open a can of worms when ripping out cupboards etc but it's so lovely to make a place your own - good luck with it
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2017 : Mortgage at 1/1/17 - £96,839 - now : £91,342 - capital reduced by £5497 so far this year
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 23rd Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thanks for popping in Wilde. I do feel like I'm opening a can of worms a little bit. I keep thinking of more things that I should do such as ceiling fans and stuff like that.

Well today has been really nice. It's getting really warm here, it got up to 31 degrees but it stayed pretty cool inside the house. I always get a really weird feeling when the weather starts to warm up, I don't know how to explain it other than perhaps the anticipation of christmas and some time off work to go with it. I didn't get much done than a couple loads of washing and I did tidy/organise my linen cupboard. House is looking like a tip as I somewhat trashed it during the linen cupboard process.

Spent all day looking at renovation stuff and crunching numbers. Getting a bit excited but I need to save the money first so it won't happen for quite a while yet. Still haven't added it all up, not sure if I want to at this stage.

I was forced to be frugal tonight as I went to get into the car to go and get takeaway and it wouldn't start. Remembered I'd sat in there on Friday night talking on the phone and had the radio on for probably half an hour as I was too lazy/tired to get out. Obviously flattened the battery. so will beed to find a friend with jumper cables tomorrow, and probably get it booked in for a service on Monday (it needs it anyway) and get then to check the battery.

Ended up scavenging from the freezer for dinner again, which is certainly not a bad thing.

I need to stop being so fussy and spoiled about food. Sometimes I just don't want to eat what I have in the house, which is stupid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,437Posts Today

6,246Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin