Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 26th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    • 7,721Posts
    • 5,511Thanks
    esuhl
    0 WOW
    I need a comfortable bed! Where to start?!
    • 26th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    0 WOW
    I need a comfortable bed! Where to start?! 26th Jun 17 at 9:36 PM
    My bed must be 15 to 20 years old now, and I really need a new one. But I don't know where to start. I don't drive, so travelling to shops is difficult.

I don't care about aesthetics. I just want a simple (but very comfortable) bed. Just a base (drawers would be useful) and mattress. No fancy wooden panels, or bed-knobs or broomsticks.

I don't mind spending the money on something that's good quality, super-comfortable and/or will last a long time. But I don't want to spend crazy money.

Would heading for the nearest DFS and lying on some brand-name beds be a bad place to start?
Page 2
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 30th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    Thanks. Are "comfort ratings" standardised in any way across brands? Is there a reason not to go for a "high" comfort rating? Do they offer little extra comfort for a lot more money?
    Comfort ratings are basically how soft or firm it is. They will either be numbered or on a scale of soft to very firm. They're not rated on how comfortable it is.

And unfortunately they're not standardised, kind of like with clothes where a 12 in one shop is a 10 in another.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 2nd Jul 17, 12:47 AM
    • 7,721 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    esuhl
    Thanks again, everyone -- I don't feel so clueless now!

Last question (I promise!)... is it better (cheaper) to buy the bed and mattress separately?

I could get a fairly cheap but functional base, and spend extra on a really good mattress.

Is that a good idea? Or is it going to be the same price if I buy both together?
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I've always thought my bed was comfy, and couldn't understand why I've been sleeping so poorly lately.

I have just spent one night in hospital and was fortunate enough to have an electric, adjustable bed. Oh, my goodness. The best night's sleep I've had in years! Everything was adjustable - fantastic. I slept soundly - unbelievably comfortable. I am now on the hunt for a really good one that I can afford, and I can recommend you try one if you haven't considered it.

They do come in a variety of sizes: single, double, split double, king.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    I can vouch for these. I found the hospital adjustable beds incredibly comfortable when I had my knee done. I bought one similar 5 years ago. It's brilliant if you back ache, swollen ankles or all sorts of problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

2,704Users online

Martin's Twitter