Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 26th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,153Posts
    • 211Thanks
    mrochester
    What are my rights if network performance plummets?
    • 26th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    What are my rights if network performance plummets? 26th Jun 17 at 1:25 PM
    Hello

I joined Vodafone in Feb 2017 because of their strong network performance in my office, which is where I predominant use my mobile data. In the past week, my previously strong 4G signal has now started to become a weak 4G signal which drops to 3G frequently.

When I joined Vodafone, I could get 25mb down and about 20mb up. Running some speed tests this morning, I am now getting wildly different figures, from 8mb down to 0.5mb down. My upload speed is equally variable.

I have tried all the usual things such as restarting phone and resetting all network settings (iPhone 7 Plus) with no success. This leads me to believe it is a Vodafone network issue.

I have spoken to Vodafone and advised them of the issue. They have told me their network engineer team are on the case, but I am not wholly confident they are going to do anything.

If they don't, what are my rights as far as network performance dropping significantly? I joined Vodafone from Three precisely because of the network performance in the areas I am in.

Best wishes.

Michael.
Page 1
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 26th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 26th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 26th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    Over the short term, probably just goodwill credit.

Have you tried switching off 4G until the issue resolves?
    25mb isn't that fast for 4G.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 26th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 26th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 26th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    Mobile phone networks are at best mediocre in terms of engineering. It could be a local site issue, they might even have turned a site off.

If you don't get anywhere with Vodafone support, post a complaint on the dedicated Voda complaints thread on here.

I've found Three to be very helpful with engineering issues, no experience of Voda, except their coverage in my part of Yorkshire is lousy.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 27th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 27th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 27th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    A network can never guarantee how many people are going to be using the network in any period of time in any area. These factors affect the performace your receive. Some networks offer a site status map so you can see whether your local cell sites are performing properly, It's worth checking these to see if there is a known fault.
    If a network is reconfiguring its cells and your performance suffers accordingly you may have a case to ask them to cancel your contract but this is decided on a case by case basis and networks vary on how receptive they are to this. It's more likely to apply if qa local cell site has been decommissioned.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 27th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 27th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 27th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    Hello

I joined Vodafone in Feb 2017 because of their strong network performance in my office, which is where I predominant use my mobile data. In the past week, my previously strong 4G signal has now started to become a weak 4G signal which drops to 3G frequently.

When I joined Vodafone, I could get 25mb down and about 20mb up. Running some speed tests this morning, I am now getting wildly different figures, from 8mb down to 0.5mb down. My upload speed is equally variable.

I have tried all the usual things such as restarting phone and resetting all network settings (iPhone 7 Plus) with no success. This leads me to believe it is a Vodafone network issue.

I have spoken to Vodafone and advised them of the issue. They have told me their network engineer team are on the case, but I am not wholly confident they are going to do anything.

If they don't, what are my rights as far as network performance dropping significantly? I joined Vodafone from Three precisely because of the network performance in the areas I am in.

Best wishes.

Michael.
    Originally posted by mrochester
    Don't know about rights but I'd check their issues tracker at:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/uk-coverage-map/index.htm

The iPhones have a app/folder installed for Vodafone at least, you could try taking out the sim and deleting the app/folder, shutting down and restarting with the sim back in.

25mb isn't that fast for 4G.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    That's decent for normal 4G, Vodafone don't have a high speed 4G signal like EE (that I'm aware of).
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 27th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 27th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    Withe an iphone it is always worth turning off automatic network selection and making a manual network selection. Your phone may not be connecting to the best cell.
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 27th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    mrochester
    • 27th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    There is only one Vodafone network option during manual selection and I presume that's the one my phone is connecting too.
    • d123
    • By d123 27th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 4,135 Thanks
    d123
    • 27th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 27th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    Withe an iphone it is always worth turning off automatic network selection and making a manual network selection. Your phone may not be connecting to the best cell.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    You can't manually choose which cell you connect to, you only choose the network and the handset will then log onto the most appropriate cell.

I've been using an iPhone since the original iPhone 2G and have never turned off auto network selection. Do you have a link to explain why manual network selection is better?
    ====
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 28th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:49 AM

I've been using an iPhone since the original iPhone 2G and have never turned off auto network selection. Do you have a link to explain why manual network selection is better?
    Originally posted by d123

Just my experience working in technical support for a mobile network, it seems some handsets are poor at choosing the strongest cell, particularly when moving from one cell's coverage to another. It's particularly noticeable when returning from roaming which generated a large number of calls to us.
    Last edited by pmduk; 03-07-2017 at 5:12 PM.
  • Vodafone
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

If you're still experiencing difficulties, I'd recommend following the troubleshooting steps here.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 3rd Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    mrochester
    So Monday morning in exactly the same location and I'm now getting 42mb down and 17mb up so something is (hopefully!) fixed now.
    • d123
    • By d123 3rd Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 4,135 Thanks
    d123
    Just my experience working in technical support for a mobile network, it seems some handsets are poor at choosing the strongest cell
    Originally posted by pmduk
    What's manual network selection got to do with which cell the phone is connecting to?
    ====
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 3rd Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    pmduk
    What's manual network selection got to do with which cell the phone is connecting to?
    Originally posted by d123
    I'll repeat my earlier answer
    Just my experience working in technical support for a mobile network, it seems some handsets are poor at choosing the strongest cell, particularly when moving from one cell's coverage to another. It's particularly noticeable when returning from roaming which generated a large number of calls to us.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 6th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    rhysadams
    I was on EE and lived in the countryside, they switched the 2G and only signal off in the area. They let me out of an 18 month contract, 3 months in due to this. However if i is down to the performance of the network, I'm not sure. I'm not a massive fan of Vodafone and have always found their network poor. I've had a signal on Vodafone to make calls, but not great for data
  • Vodafone
    So Monday morning in exactly the same location and I'm now getting 42mb down and 17mb up so something is (hopefully!) fixed now.
    Originally posted by mrochester
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for updating the thread to confirm that normal service has resumed for you.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,998Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin