Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vasseur
    • By vasseur 25th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,053Posts
    • 9,881Thanks
    vasseur
    Redundancy looming - completely new start!!
    • 25th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    Redundancy looming - completely new start!! 25th Jun 17 at 6:19 PM
    Just quickly starting a new diary up as I really need it for the motivation and support that can be found on here. I found it invaluable in the past when I was on my way to being debt free, staying debt free and when I fell off the wagon....

I will add links to my previous diaries later if anyone's interested.

As the title says I now find myself being made redundant. I have actually known about this since end of last year but my last day will be this Friday. We are all in the same boat at work so it doesn't feel personal

I am fortunate that I will be getting a large payoff however I will still need to work eventually (not just for my sanity ). As my payout is good I am going to take the summer off with DD (we already had a holiday booked) so I am going to have to get used to being really strict with my budget like I used to be. I also have some debts that will need to be paid off as soon as I get my payout.

I'm sure I will need to ask questions on the redundancy board but for the time being I am going to use this diary to stay on track.

Back later...
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back....
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey
Page 1
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 25th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    parsniphead
    • 25th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 25th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    Bad news regarding the redundancy BUT it may lead to something even better. It's also giving you an opportunity to spend a chunk of time with your DD. Enjoy.

I will look forward to reading your journey.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 25th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 5,107 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    • 25th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 25th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    Bad news regarding the redundancy BUT it may lead to something even better. It's also giving you an opportunity to spend a chunk of time with your DD. Enjoy.

I will look forward to reading your journey.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    ^^^^Second what Parsniphead said ^^^^
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 28th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 8,388 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    Hi Vasseur

New adventures! Subscribing to hear more along your way

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• vasseur
    • By vasseur 2nd Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 9,881 Thanks
    vasseur
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    Just realised that I haven't actually updated this after my original post

Anyway, I got loads done over the summer, paid off all my debts, got some work done on the house which I had never been able to afford before, had a good spend up and a lovely holiday with DD.

Anyway, I am now training to become a driving instructor. It's something I have considered in the past but never had any real reason to switch jobs and just plodded on. I knew i would never change unless I really needed to and now I do. I have passed the Part 1 test and take the Part 2 later this month. Then I can get on with training for the ability to teach test which I think will be really hard. I have had a few lessons on it and they were really enjoyable and I am looking forward to it all.

Financially I am OK at the moment - I am just 'paying' myself every month a similar amount as I would have been when I was working so I still need to budget. I really need to get on top of it all a bit more like I used to but a couple of things have been sorted out this week:-

Remortgaged and the rate is better than before saving me £18 a month - not much but better than it going up.

CSA maintenance payments have had to be reassessed and change the way they are paid to me. Turns out that the ex should actually be paying me THREE times the amount he has been. So when that finally gets paid (there is a slight delay on it due to the change) that will be a little extra every month.

I have bought nearly all my xmas presents which is extremely early for me.

It is nice being off - I'm certainly on top of the housework and ironing but I do find I'm a bit bored which as someone who doesn't mind their own company I'm surprised by. To compensate I have been going out on my bike a LOT. I have found a ladies cycling group to go out with during the week and there is another mixed one that I go out with some weekends. I've done 67 miles this week so far with another 38 planned for tomorrow.

I think that's it for now. I need to order a new wing mirror as some berk smashed mine earlier today (clearly they need some more driving lessons ).

Back later...
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 2nd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 5,107 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    Good going so far
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 8,388 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Oh that all sounds brilliant - so pleased for you!

A fantastic thing to be doing as well - it makes a huge difference to have a lovely driving instructor, I went through several before finding a fab and very straightforward lady who taught me more in ability and confidence in the space of weeks than I'd learned from all the others in months. It makes such a difference to people's lives. Hurrah for you and good luck

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• vasseur
    • By vasseur 4th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 9,881 Thanks
    vasseur
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    Well I have cycled 74 miles this week and it is still only Monday. Get me! Yesterday's ride was tough going including lots of busy main roads and steep climbs. And I fell off . But I was stationary, I just couldn't get my foot unclipped from the pedal in time and went crashing to the ground. No cuts or bruises.

Today's ride was lovely and we stopped for delicious poppy seed & blueberry cake (GF too, so made my day).

Gave my mucky bike a lovely clean when I got home too. Did a little bit of driving revision for my practical test and waited for DD to come home from school. I must admit it is nice being home when she gets in, after all it is the first time I have been able to do it - I always had to either pick her up from my mum's or the after school club. She said she likes getting home and seeing what I've got ready for dinner (like a proper mum )

Received some maintenance today, first payment for 2 months. It wasn't the increased amount I was promised as I have now found out that the ex is querying the amount he has been asked to pay. Apparently his pay fluctuates and it seems the payslips that he had assessed were when he'd had a particularly good week which is not representative of what he usually gets paid. Funny that...watch this space.

Laters....
    • vasseur
    • By vasseur 6th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 9,881 Thanks
    vasseur
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    Had a freebie driving lesson yesterday to get me ready for my Part 2. I felt really groggy though as my sinuses felt blocked and I ended up with a monster headache that lasted all evening

I had a meal out with some girls I used to work with so that was £20 well spent. It was nice to have a good catch up but I felt quite rough and didn't sleep well last night.

Today I have done nothing except lie on the sofa and read or watch TV. Feels like a complete waste of a day really.
    • vasseur
    • By vasseur 7th Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 9,881 Thanks
    vasseur
    Went to be at 9pm last night and feel miles better today. Have had a really productive day. After dropping DD off at school I whizzed off to A1di and did the food shop. Went slightly over my £50 weekly budget and it came in at £54.47 but it did include some xmas decorations. Have transferred money over from the food account to cover.

Came home and got a thai green curry going in the slow cooker. I put all the veg in too to save cooking it separately later. All I need to do when DD and I are ready to eat is put the rice in the microwave. Not exactly MSE using rice pouches but it does save on washing up.

Wrote all the xmas cards. Wasn't so bad once I got started.

I hoovered right through (except didn't do DD's room as I have told her that if there are clothes lying on the floor I won't do her room and there were clothes, perfume bottles and brushes on the floor so she can do it later if she wants). I did make her bed though - she knows I hate an unmade bed

Dusted and polished all through (love it when it's done) so the place is all ready to put the xmas decorations up at the weekend. I think we must be the last in our street to put our tree up and it is still the first week in December! I think people are putting their decs up earlier than ever this year.

All the hard floors have been mopped too. I feel quite virtuous right now

The glass for my door mirror arrived this morning so I have just fitted that - took about 20 seconds including removing the old shattered one. I can practice some of my manoeuvres now.

Think that's all for now
    Last edited by vasseur; 07-12-2017 at 3:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

1,456Users online

Martin's Twitter