Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,116Posts
    • 6,271Thanks
    Munchin
    Dreaming of a life after debt
    • 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Dreaming of a life after debt 25th Jun 17 at 1:09 PM
    Hello

It is a very lazy Sunday here and I've decided to start a new diary because my motivation had slipped from the old one. I also think health wise I've moved on a bit as I'm (whisper) fully recovered and don't want to dwell on eating issues. However, although I have made amazing progress in one area of my life I still haven't slayed that debt dragon ... which is the purpose of this new diary and starting with a clean slate .

I should probably have named my diary 'Stop bleeding frittering' but that was a bit harsh, so sticking with dreaming of a life after debt. The plan is to slay the dragon of debt on this diary & be honest with my frittering but what I really hope to achieve is a annilation reduction of frittering which is my biggest issue.

I use YNAB which is for me the best budgeting tool ever .

Ok scary biscuits part - SOA & debt

SOA

Income - £2083

Outgoings:

Groceries: £120
    Entertainment: £45
    General: £30
    Work: £50
    Health/Beauty/Exercise: £100
    Donations: £15
    Pet: £20
    Diesel: £100
    Monthly bills: £400 (rates/rent/tv etc)
    Gifts/Xmas: £100
    Clothes:£50
    Annual: £100 (car, insurance, oil)
    Savings: £600
    Debt: £350

Total: £2080

Debt

Car - £4872
    Credit card - £1129

Total: £6001
    Last edited by Munchin; 27-06-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £4285/£12,000 65% paid (Car - £2265 & CC £2020) . Slowly but surely. Debt Free Date - March 2018
    NST No. 21 for December / NSD - 5/15 / EF #13:£150/£20,000(.75%)

Speaking my truth from a place of love and kindness.
Page 9
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,682 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Ouch - poor you at the dentist! But very brave of to set a good example to your nephew!

The therapy tapping session went well. I wouldnít worry about people thinking youíre weird - carry on with it as it helped you so much!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 18th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Winter checklist @ 18 Nov

Clothes

Wash all coats, scarves & gloves - need to find them!!
    Repair or buy new socks - visit to Primark
    Check Wellingtons - have boots do same job
    Polish all shoes and boots
    Go back through clothing checking what I need and what I need to replace. Think - what will I wear - what do I need?
    Put away all your summer clothes in either those vacuum bags or in a suitcase for the following year.

Car

Buy in screenwash now - do I have any left?
    Find ice scraper - should be in winter box but will check
    Torch and batteries - hiding somewhere
    Gloves hat and scarf - need to put back in car winter box
    October make sure all fluid levels in cars are correct
    Check tyre pressures and tread levels - OH

Clean car inside and out making sure car has good amount of wax which protect it from harsh elements and salt and grit on the roads which will cause rust.

Food
    Stock up on tinned products such as soup, rice pudding, baked beans and spaghetti. These items will keep as good store cupboard standbys.
    Check and clean out your freezer, make a list of what you have and what you need to buy in. Keep at least two loaves of bread in the freezer. A clean frost free freezer will work better than a ice capped one!
    If anything crops up on BOGOF and it will keep/freeze for winter buy it and store it.
    Create a 'stash cupboard' or area where you can put all of your extra buys away safely.
    Batch make homemade soups and freeze. Good idea to do this now while fresh veg is plentiful and it will save on condensation during the cooking/prep during the winter months.

House and garden

Buy in your logs and coal now while cheap deals are on offer - work in progress
    Clean your home - work in progress
    Make door curtains to keep out draughts - 1 door to do.
    Clean windows inside and out - done outside
    Buy in cheap white candles in case of a power cut. Also keep a torch on standby and use in emergency. - have them somewhere
    If you have oil try to make sure that your tank is stocked up by the end of October - bought 1000 l on Tues @ £443
    Buy in Flannelette sheets. - done
    Cut back everything in the garden late October to give your garden a big boost the following Spring. Roses love this! - Hedge cut & lane trimmed end of August.
    Clean Your carpets on a good warm day so that they have a good chance of drying quickly
    Drain any outside taps and protect and cover either with an old towel and then covered over with plastic or buy a proper outside tap cover.
    Re-silicone shower areas where the silicone has turned black or mouldy, take it out and redo it. Easy job but so often overlooked. Having the window open also allows the silicone to cure or go off be.

Check lightbulbs and outside security lighting if broken replace or repair - front light needs replaced.
    Buy in batteries now.
    Put food out for the birds they will so thank you for it. Buy in their food now while it is plentiful.
    Get your paracetamol, throat lozengers and cough mixtures in now, when you are feeling ill the last thing you want to do is traipse down to Boots having to get it in.- check dates as I have some from last winter.
    Last edited by Munchin; 24-11-2017 at 5:55 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 18th Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Evening,

So today has been really productive . I didn't go to yoga as I went yesterday, so this morning while OH struggled into work, pup & I went for a morning run. There were 5 beautiful deer near the fence this morning and they were almost white in colour.

I paid a man in a van (OHs friend) to clean out my mum's gutters ...funny..we have to do our own. I popped up to Mums when he was just finishing and had a cup of coffee with her. I then came home full of energy from the run and washed our windows (bleurgh), cleaned kitchen, living room, bedroom and hall. I then hoovered out my car and cleaned it. I'm now a bit pooped. I popped into Mr Ts yesterday and got one of those windscreen covers to hopefully reduce the time it takes for me to defrost the car and get to work.. it was £3 so can't complain.

I still have a list of winter prep and jobs to do as long as your arm including cleaning my Mum's yard and sorting the garden for winter but Rome wasn't built in a day. I would need a week from work and a bucket of energy to get it all done. Next chore is the yard.

Now I'm just going to pop dinner in the oven and sit down with a cup of tea which will soon be morphing into a glass of wine.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £4285/£12,000 65% paid (Car - £2265 & CC £2020) . Slowly but surely. Debt Free Date - March 2018

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,682 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Well done on the checklist and all the jobs you have achieved today. As usual you put me to shame Munchin!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 19th Nov 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning Seaside, thank you but Iím sure you are a busy bee as well. 99% of time I have a massive ĎSod ití attitude and nothing gets done.

Today is going to be a lot easier, Iím taking mum to mass at 10 & the church is having a small Xmas fair today so Mum, nephew & I will go in for a nosy. Picking sister up from train station at some point. After that it will just be a typical lazy Sunday
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 21st Nov 17, 6:51 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Iím putting a small list of things I need to do this evening which I put of but takes no time -

• ironing
    • Make more protein balls
    • Make egg muffins
    • Find Next gift voucher
    • Organise everything for morning
    • Read therapists literature

These are the wee things hanging over me that will take me no time today but I manage to make big in my head.

Today I need to put on appt for haircut on Friday (£10 + tip) and for my car service. It is a bit expensive at moment but I have the money in my savings pot...just donít want to spend it .
    Last edited by Munchin; 21-11-2017 at 6:58 AM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 21st Nov 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 11,045 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your morning runs sound lovely munchin, I wish I saw deer on my walks although I did see a squirrel this morning.

You sound like you've been getting loads done and shrinking the debts .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 21st Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you had a good day x

Last F1 of the season this weekend too! I will miss it
    Last edited by WannabeFree; 21-11-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 22nd Nov 17, 6:53 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi HHD & WbF - Iím very fortunate to live in the country so have lovely trails & a teeny forest on my doorstep. In another 4 weeks or so they move the slightly less wild deer up towards the edge of the forest for the kids to see them for Santa will be coming to get them .

I cant believe F1 finishes this weekend and I know that very soon I will be saying I canít believe F1 season starts again (March). Itís not as exciting if the championship is already decided but Iíll still watch it.

So I didnít get everything done on list, my Next voucher is being a bit elusive but I know itís in a safe place..... somewhere. I was so shattered last night that I went to bed for an hour....and stayed there . I love ĎIím a celebrityí but for me getting up at 5 Iím going to have to start watching it on catch up.

Only 1 more day in work then Iím on leave for a long weekend. Going for 1 night away for friends birthday & I canít wait 😊.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Nov 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,682 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Have a lovely time with your friends Munchin.

Hope Santa looks after those deer!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 24th Nov 17, 5:51 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Thanks SS - really looking forward to girly night.

Sister did my fake tan and coloured my hair last night..her payment is in babysitting. So lucky she is so girly (Iím not) and is happy to sort me out for nothing.

I have so much to do this morning before we catch train at 1pm but have to wait to a slightly more reasonable hour before I start as OH will crack up. Body thinks itís a work day so awake at 5 💤
    • Tidy kitchen & living room
    • Text colleague to see when a training course is on next week as might have days confused 😐
    • Iron
    • Sort out room as carp has built up
    • Haircut at 10am
    • Gel nails at 10.30
    • pop into volunteer place
    • Decide what to wear for night away
    • Find birthday pressie (probably hiding under ironing pile), wrap it & write card
    • Pack 😀🍾

Money news - even though dinner and hotel has been paid it will still be expensive as train ticket is about £25 and then we have drinks, lunch tomorrow and a tour of city to pay for but as they say you canít put a price on memories.

I cant wait to get paid next wed so that I can see debt going down. I canít afford to fall into debt again as it is so depressing and I just hate it hanging over me.

I found my Next voucher, it was in the box I keep my fake tan which gets opened once in a blue moon.

Itís almost time to start my list....will have to tiptoe round OH

Last edited by Munchin; 24-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Nov 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,682 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    How MSE to have a sister who is deft on all things on the body beautiful! But great you can reciprocate with the babysitting and let her have a night out.

Hope youíre having a fab time Munchin!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 26th Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon

I am sitting here with my tea, fire on and F1 starting ...perfect Sunday.

I had a fantastic night away with my girly friends. We stayed in a gorgeous hotel which had its decorations up. Hotel had a pool which I never got near but it's good to know for future reference . Dinner was delicious and then we went to a bar and a nightclub (using term loosely as it was just a big bar with a band). I shared a room with 2 cousins and we all said the same ...our faces were sore the next day from laughing so much. On Saturday after a late breakfast we went into Derry and went to Primark...not a mad spending spree, I bought a grey scarf and socks...exciting . We then went to a bar/restaurant and had lunch with 1 final cocktail.

I actually saved money on the travelling as I didn't realise my travel card can be used at the weekend for anywhere in N Ireland so had 'free' journey home. We went up through the Glenshane pass (very hilly & nearly always closed in bad weather) on way home and it was covered in snow....so now in Xmas mood.

Xmas front - I bought 3 bags of chocolate Brussel sprouts in the Groupon offer this morning and with the 6 bottles of Asda prosecco that is me nearly done with my brothers and their families...will buy proper choccies in case sprouts are horrible.

Money front - come on pay day!!!. I also want my savings company to send me details of my investment. The investment matures on 01.01.18 and the company advised I should get a final statement a month before this date so I would expect it this week or next so that I can see if it will clear my car loan just leaving me with the credit card.

Plans tomorrow -
    • Car service
    • Power wash yard
    • Volunteer meeting.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 26th Nov 17, 1:19 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,975 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I am watching F1 too

I'm behind though no spoilers

Sounds like you've had a lovely weekend x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,682 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You sound like you had a very excellent weekend adventure Munchin. I love it when you are out with friends and you canít stop laughing - does you the world of good.

Exciting news too on your maturity. I do hope it will cover your car loan. Youíll be nearly debt free then!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 27th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Evening

I just spent a productive afternoon power hosing the yard as it was a disgrace and now the winter is here, we end up tracking black dirt into the house.

You know the saying ...best laid plans...well my debt jumped a bit today. I took my car in for a major service and I was thinking £300..but secretly hoping it would be less than that. Well you could have knocked me down when they warned me in advance it would be nearer to £500. I rang OH and explained all the work that needed doing and he said to go ahead as it was necessary....£492!!!!. Now I could clear out emergency fund and savings I have in the Credit Union but I've decided to add to the credit card and will chip away at it. I need to set aside a bit more money each month in case I get hit by another shocking bill.

Car debt - Was £2965.25 - £350 = Now £2265 (Jan/Feb to go)

Credit card - Was £1952 - 150= Now 1802 (Jan/Feb/Mar/April to go)

Sisters and I have set a £10 limit on pressies each and I still have to think of what to get OH. Apart from OH I think I'm nearly done on the Xmas shopping.

Voluntary thing tonight and Friday night and another funeral tomorrow. I should have a night in tomorrow night and put feet up.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Nov 17, 7:59 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

Pay day today . I’ve updated YNAB & the budgets are sorted. I have a few expenses in December (doesn’t everyone) which includes paying half a family meal out on 8th Dec, lunch with colleague, 2 x Xmas dinners in work (1 already paid but 1 to pay). I still have to buy OH his Xmas pressie but it will be small and 2 token gifts for sisters. I think I will get wrapping and pressies this weekend then I will know better where I stand.

Plans today include finishing power hosing the yard and going to a funeral. It’s a family funeral so my family are meeting at Mums so will probably be making tea and sarnies.

I guess I better make a start on something

Nov/Dec Spends

Tues 28th -NSD
    Wed 29th - NSD
    Thurs 30th- £10 Xmas market
    Fri 01st - NSD
    Sat 02nd -£10.20 groceries & £10 nephew

Total = £30.20
    Last edited by Munchin; 02-12-2017 at 9:03 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 11,045 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Ouch to your service bill, but glad you had a great night away with friends.

Sorry to hear about your funeral today .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Dec 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,682 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope the funeral went as well as can be expected in the circumstances.

What a shame about the car bill! Still you are managing so well with your money that it should soon be paid off.

Did you receive your statement on the maturity?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi

Seaside - thank you. Still no word on maturity but canít be long now . Funeral went as well as expected but hopefully I will get happier news from now on.

Nothing exciting happening this evening, Iím suffering through X factor to see Pink perform.

Busy day as I ran my first Park run in years but enjoyed it and then this afternoon was finishing the power washing. I was cold, tired and wet by the end but very happy the job was done. Nephew rang to see if I needed a hand with anything as he needed £10 for going out tonight . He was a bit late to wash the yard but I got him to clear out the spare room & the bathroom. Would have given him the money without the chores but donít tell him that .

Money front- categories are all budgeted in YNAB. Washing machine has been sicky no well but weíve managed to coax it along. OH says itís on its last legs but hopefully it will last a bit longer. It is as much to fix as buy a new one. Need to get some money into my repairs category before it dies. Obviously the machine isnít aware Iím heading towards the debt free finish line.

At the moment very little plans tomorrow and a shortish week ahead
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin