Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,062Posts
    • 5,916Thanks
    Munchin
    Dreaming of a life after debt
    • 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Dreaming of a life after debt 25th Jun 17 at 1:09 PM
    Hello

It is a very lazy Sunday here and I've decided to start a new diary because my motivation had slipped from the old one. I also think health wise I've moved on a bit as I'm (whisper) fully recovered and don't want to dwell on eating issues. However, although I have made amazing progress in one area of my life I still haven't slayed that debt dragon ... which is the purpose of this new diary and starting with a clean slate .

I should probably have named my diary 'Stop bleeding frittering' but that was a bit harsh, so sticking with dreaming of a life after debt. The plan is to slay the dragon of debt on this diary & be honest with my frittering but what I really hope to achieve is a annilation reduction of frittering which is my biggest issue.

I use YNAB which is for me the best budgeting tool ever .

Ok scary biscuits part - SOA & debt

SOA

Income - £2083

Outgoings:

Groceries: £120
    Entertainment: £45
    General: £30
    Work: £50
    Health/Beauty/Exercise: £100
    Donations: £15
    Pet: £20
    Diesel: £100
    Monthly bills: £400 (rates/rent/tv etc)
    Gifts/Xmas: £100
    Clothes:£50
    Annual: £100 (car, insurance, oil)
    Savings: £600
    Debt: £350

Total: £2080

Debt

Car - £4872
    Credit card - £1129

Total: £6001
    Last edited by Munchin; 27-06-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £4426/£10,000 (Car - £2966 & CC £1460). Slowly but surely

EF #13:£150/£20,000(.75%)

PAD started 09 Oct 2017 Total PAD £11.63
Page 6
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 10th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

My sleeping or lack of is getting worse rather than better, 3.5 hours last night & 5.5 hrs the night before. Will exist on today.

On happier news my friend invited me to her big birthday 🍰 party which involves a night away in Derry. Of course I agreed & have juggled Novemberís budget to cover it (hotel + pressie + dinner & drinks out = expensive but fun). I have plenty to wear .... I hope.

Iím out for lunch today again & hopefully that will be me done with catching up with people

No prolific surveys this morning but there is still a chance later today, if not I will round down to nearest £ the money in my bank account.

Really not feeling great at moment ...how do people cope with hardly any sleep.....

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry to hear of your sleep problem Munchin. I'm afraid I can't give any useful advice as I'm one of those people who falls asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow! Perhaps start a thread on the "health and Beauty" forum for some advice?

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 10th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks SSG, believe it or not Iím a bit like you regarding sleeping. Out like a light & an earthquake probably wouldnít wake me which is why itís so frustrating at the moment. Hopefully after bake off I will be nice & relaxed and sleep 💤 .

PAD is teeny today - 97p but itís a payment. I think I will just update PAD thread at end of month.

Friend bought lunch today but I spent 80p on croissant - tired equals stodge & then had to battle to not be sick. It will all be good tomorrow as I will have 8 hours sleep and wake up feeling amazing
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Oct 17, 8:48 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Evening

PAD today - £7.66 from Topcashback. Iím frustratingly close to a payout from Prolific but of course no surveys today.

I spoke to an elusive Welfare officer in work today & my case for consideration to be moved closer to home will be considered next Wed. Must admit Iím enjoying work now but Iíve got to think long term.

I spent £20.06 on groceries after therapy this evening. Have food diary to keep .. blah..
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 12th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi

PAD today - 64p which is just a rounding down of my bank account. Swagbucks done but no Prolific studies today.

Popped into M&S for something nice for tea & spent £12.25 but had a £10 voucher , so only cost me £2.25. They were giving out tasters of their chocolate truffles (dark & milk) so I just had to stand & sample both & purely for research purposes the dark chocolate truffle did it for me 😂.

Discovered today that my work does a discount card thing for various retailers including Mr Stresco & you get 6% off your shop. A bit more investigating is required.

Work colleague has also managed to get me into the work yoga class tmw morning. Iíve been on a waiting list for ages as itís held in a large meeting room in work so places are limited. However tomorrow is a sampler & hopefully they will have space in future classes.

On train home now so first early escape since I went back to work after holiday.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    The discount card sounds well worth investigating Munchin - especially for grocery shopping!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 13th Oct 17, 10:46 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi SS - it shows its good to talk with colleagues, it's tea time now so will investigate the discount.

I have applied for £5 from Swagbucks this morning which will go to my PAD account. I'm going to make a monthly PAD payment to my credit card in addition to my usual payment. I'm already up to £17 on the PAD front. I closed my First Direct Account last night as I don't really need it and I thought it would be easier for me to have all my salary in my Nationwide account. Spent ages waiting to speak to someone but they were lovely and friendly.

I attended a free yoga class this morning in work. They don't have any spaces yet for me to attend regularly but I should be able to attend the odd one when people drop out.

OH was so down last night so I made him a really nice dinner (I surprised myself), and had the fire on so that he wasn't coming home from the hospital to a cold, dark house. Still no improvement with his brother and it's one day at a time.

Plans tomorrow -
    • yoga
    • possible run with C25k peeps
    • Vegan festival with sister (we're not Vegan but our friend is...not sure if I have to check I'm not wearing any leather etc)
    Have fun.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

Ok yoga is scrapped from my plans this morning as we are getting an earlier train up to Belfast but the pup 🐶 & I will go for a wee run in the forest instead.

Xmas confession - I bought my first Xmas pressie this morning it was the boots Yankee candle set which is down to £30 but I used £5 voucher & topcashback.

Spends front - going ok. As my therapist says ĎI have to find balanceí and not be so all or nothing. Could do with more money in the month . NSD yesterday but today I will have a few spends at the vegan festival & will pop into St. Georgeís market for a nosy. I also have to give my friend £45 for my hotel stay in Nov.

Wee small PAD today of 65p.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Ok Iím wild early but this is the Xmas list

Christmas presents

Mum - asda gift voucher (£150 - pay £20 per month) + Yankee candles
    OH - £50 (was told to limit pressies)
    Sister 1 - £20
    Sister 2 - £20
    Uncle - £20 (jumper)
    Work chocs - £10
    Work Xmas dinner - Paying monthly
    Nephew 1 - £30
    Nephew 2 - £30
    Niece 1 - £20
    Nephew 3 - £20
    Brothers families - £40
    Cards & wrapping - £10
    Odds - £50

&
    Niece birthday - £10
    Sister birthday - £20

Total - £350

Not counting Mumís Asda voucher & Xmas dinners as I pay these monthly. I have £500 in Xmas fund which covers more than Xmas,now the issue is planning on what to get everyone ...
    Last edited by Munchin; 14-10-2017 at 8:49 AM.

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 5,037 Posts
    • 22,806 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Are the nieces and nephews small ones? Argos 3 for 2 maybe a good idea Saves a bit extra too. Also I use to always use boots 3 for 2 for family gifts, sometimes the star buy is good for the 'bigger' type gifts too

I hate buying gifts for anyone and now I usually do a giftcard (even if it isn't from a survey payout )
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Iíve started on the Xmas pressies as well. Vegan Festival sounds interesting - do tell about it!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Hidden & Seaside

Thanks for the tips Hidden - 3 of them are under 10 & 1 is only a baby but 1 is a terrible teenager. Will have a nosy at Argos & Boots this evening. I can never decide what to get people & just give sisters money.

SS - the festival was good. Iím not a vegan but a friend is. The atmosphere was good & we had curry which was lovely but the vegan cake was a bit blah but it was still cake . There was a cookery demonstration & other talks and presentations. Then we headed to a pub & had wine... itís made of grapes so we were still on the vegan agenda .

I went for a run this morning in our local forest with pup, we often see deers in the distance before they hurry away. Well this morning this amazing stag was just sitting in the trees about 20 feet from the path. It didnít budge and thankfully pup had the sense not to go near it. Really amazing start to the morning.

Money front - spent £16 at festival and pub which I thought was pretty good & then I gave my friend money for our hotel stay in November. Donít mind paying money for nice things & not frittering.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58

Money front - spent £16 at festival and pub which I thought was pretty good & then I gave my friend money for our hotel stay in November. Donít mind paying money for nice things & not frittering.

Originally posted by Munchin
    Vegan festival sounded fun. Totally agree with you on spending on the nice things and not frittering!

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 16th Oct 17, 6:03 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

OH got a phonecall at 5.30 this morning to come to the hospital as is brother is deteriorating rapidly. I kept myself busy yesterday by tidying the house so I'm not sure what to do while I'm waiting for news...... No point in going back to bed so I'm back in faithful diaryland .

Yesterday was a tidy day and stocking up on essentials such as washing powder and dishwasher tablets...at least the house is sparkling. Being a sterotypical Catholic girl I lit candles in the chapel ...standing joke that no matter what exam/crisis you have a candle will help

Sister texted yesterday from England to ask if were ready for the storm. I asked if she had seen the meme on facebook which shows a hurricane over America and one over Ireland and the US states "US prepares by stocking up on canned goods, battoning down the hatches, taking to their cellars and praying'. Ireland's preparations, 'Bring in the Washing' . There has been an announcement that all schools are closed today - I can see my nieces/nephews doing cartwheels when they wake up to that news.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Oct 17, 6:17 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Oh Munchin sorry to hear about your brother in law .Hope the weather doesn't turn out so bad for you. I am in north west uk and we have weather warning out as well.
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 16th Oct 17, 6:29 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks Cumbria, I think we are all stunned with his illness as he did have cancer but it's not the cancer that has got him .

Keep safe as well...I think it could be a day in with tea and watching out at it. At least I know where the candles are.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Iím so sorry to hear the news of OHís brother. Such a sad, difficult time.

Yes - good idea to stay in today Munchin. Weíve had strange eerie dark clouds this afternoon courtesy of the Spain/Portugal forest fires smoke and Ophelia fanning it this way.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,428Posts Today

7,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin