Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,032Posts
    • 5,819Thanks
    Munchin
    Dreaming of a life after debt
    • 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Dreaming of a life after debt 25th Jun 17 at 1:09 PM
    Hello

It is a very lazy Sunday here and I've decided to start a new diary because my motivation had slipped from the old one. I also think health wise I've moved on a bit as I'm (whisper) fully recovered and don't want to dwell on eating issues. However, although I have made amazing progress in one area of my life I still haven't slayed that debt dragon ... which is the purpose of this new diary and starting with a clean slate .

I should probably have named my diary 'Stop bleeding frittering' but that was a bit harsh, so sticking with dreaming of a life after debt. The plan is to slay the dragon of debt on this diary & be honest with my frittering but what I really hope to achieve is a annilation reduction of frittering which is my biggest issue.

I use YNAB which is for me the best budgeting tool ever .

Ok scary biscuits part - SOA & debt

SOA

Income - £2083

Outgoings:

Groceries: £120
    Entertainment: £45
    General: £30
    Work: £50
    Health/Beauty/Exercise: £100
    Donations: £15
    Pet: £20
    Diesel: £100
    Monthly bills: £400 (rates/rent/tv etc)
    Gifts/Xmas: £100
    Clothes:£50
    Annual: £100 (car, insurance, oil)
    Savings: £600
    Debt: £350

Total: £2080

Debt

Car - £4872
    Credit card - £1129

Total: £6001
    Last edited by Munchin; 27-06-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £3871/£6000 (Car - £3285 & CC £586)
    EF #13:£150/£20,000(.75%)
    150 Spending fast - 04th Sept to 01st Feb 18 08/150
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
Page 4
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 27th Aug 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    August spends

Sat 26th - NSD
    Sun 27th- NSD
    Mon 28th - NSD
    Tues 29th - £30 (chimney sweep) + £10 Nephew
    Wed 30th - £18 (B&M) + £10 niece birthday
    Thurs 31st -
    Fri 01st -

Total = £68
    Last edited by Munchin; 01-09-2017 at 7:30 AM.
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Aug 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon

Stomach has been playing the past 2 days and I haven't got started on my list but hopefully will be grand tomorrow. I have nephew no 1 conscripted to giving me hand

Plans tomorrow -
    • Cut hedge
    • Strim lane
    • Weed out garden
    • Clear shed
    • Clean out car

Wed
    • Clean windows
    • Clear out spare room
    • Clean house

On Wednesday the chimney sweep is coming and I think no matter how careful they are there will be a bit of cleaning up to be done. Thurs I hope to sort out clothes for my holiday. That means that by the weekend I should be on top of everything ...famous last words.

Money front - I managed £1 on Prolific today and an NSD.
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 28th Aug 17, 6:42 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope you're feeling better

Glad everything else is going well Looking good x

F1 was interesting wasn't it Wondered if they were mistaken for bumper cars on more than one occasion
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Aug 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Hidden

The 2 Force India drivers were bound to get the knuckles rapped after the race

Sore stomach starting to lift but just a bit fed up with it..
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 28th Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I know right! There must have been some harsh words from their manager! It was like a Rosberg/Hamilton race all over again!
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 30th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi

Yesterday was so busy with outside work that today I'm knackered. I was a bit frustrated as I wasn't quite on form yesterday but then realised that I'd been ill for 2 days so was bound to feel a bit under the weather.

Nephew no 1 was a fantastic help. He cut the hedge while I strimmed & unlike my haphazard higgle piggle cutting it was a really tidy job. He helped me take stuff to the dump and when I declared I was officially knackered he hoovered out my car. I gave him £10 for his troubles and he probably deserved more but I know he has his eyes on a pair of trainers for his birthday next month so I will get him them.

Plans (Tues) -
    • Cut hedge
    • Strim lane
    • Weed out garden
    • Clear shed
    • Clean out car

Thurs
    • Clean windows
    • Clear out spare room
    • Clean house

This morning not much has been done . The chimney sweep was running late so didn't really start anything until he went but he was quick. I watched the Great British Bake off this morning (on demand) and have to say that I enjoyed it. I was disappointed it moved from BBC 1 but I'll live. I got the living room cleaned but will move my Wed chores to tomorrow now. I have a set of minutes to do and a meeting tomorrow with the volunteer group I'm with. I'm meeting my sister at 3 for a very late lunch & will squeeze in a quick trip to Strescos before I see my therapist.

I have managed to try on my holiday clothes and I don't need to buy anything for next week.

Money front - salary is in my bank account and hopefully I will do less frittering this month. I will pop into Asda tomorrow and get some euros and top up my Xmas savings card. Am I allowed to say that getting my garage cleared, chimney sweep in and windows cleaned are in my head the last hoorah before the winter comes in and we head towards Xmas.
    Last edited by Munchin; 31-08-2017 at 4:39 PM.
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 31st Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon

Ok I am knackered but happily so as it's been another productive day. I cleaned the windows, cleared out spare room for sisters arrival and tidied the house. When I moved jobs I brought home loads of carp that had gathered up over the years and I finally sat down and sorted it all out today. Most of it ended up being recycled but at least its all sorted. I also attended a meeting with the volunteer peeps and put on a hairdressing appointment for Saturday.

I stopped at B&M and picked up some Ronseal for a garden bench which has seen better days. Nephew no 1 brushed it down and painted it for me . No payment was required but I think he is finally so bored with the holidays that he was happy to spend a few hours painting.

Thurs
    • Clean windows
    • Clear out spare room
    • Clean house

My plans now are to see if any Prolific surveys pop up and gather up some Swagbucks. OH should be home about 7 so I think I will just chill with a glass of wine.

Plans tomorrow
    • Minutes
    • Run
    • Maybe poison some weeds but that might be a Monday job....when no one is about.

I went to therapy last night and I think I'm making progress - feel a lot better and more like myself.
    Last edited by Munchin; 03-09-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I think a few coffees are required this morning - I'm still a wee bit lacking in mojo.

Money front- Sept 1st & it's another tight month. I have £90 in the grocery budget & £40 in the rest (diesel & therapist are separate). I'm going on holiday next week so at least that money is budgeted for, so my budgets have to cover 3 weeks. If I wasn't seeing therapist things wouldn't be as tight but this is short term expense for long term happiness.

My overall debt is now below £4000 & next months goal is to bring the car loan to under £3000. All direct debits are paid this morning & my savings are gradually looking healthier. Once the debts are gone I will focus on my emergency fund.

I think there will be no running today as I'm still a bit below par or just lazy. Tomorrow I have yoga & hairdressers so that should perk me up.
    Last edited by Munchin; 02-09-2017 at 4:57 PM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    September budget

Grocery - £90/£20 spent
    Other - £40/£0 spent

September spends

Fri 01 - NSD (1)
    Sat 02 - £20 Asda + £10 hairdressers
    Sun 03 - NSD (2)
    Mon 04 -
    Tues 05 -
    Wed 06 - holiday
    Thurs 07 - holiday
    Fri 08 - holiday

Total = £30
    Last edited by Munchin; 03-09-2017 at 2:40 PM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Sep 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

I love lazy Sundays. OH is talking about heading into the shops to return a pair of shoes and I'm not too fussed with doing that but might go for the sail.

I've been to mass with Mum and then returned home to clean kitchen and hang washing on the dryer as there is no hope of getting it dried outside.

Anyway I've decided on a 150 day spending fast. I know I mention not spending or frittering all the time and never stick to it but not counting today then 150 days will take me to the 01st February 18. I worked out that assuming I keep up the extra payments and hoping I get my investment back in January - I should be able to bring my debt free date forward to Feb 18 .

I will not need any clothes going into autumn/winter so that is a total ban on spending on clothes which is probably the hardest thing for me.

Plans -
    • No clothes spending (may need socks)
    • Only buy make up or hair products when I have nada left
    • No mags/papers (hardly ever buy now anyway)
    • NO FRITTERING
    • Necessities only!!!!
    Last edited by Munchin; 03-09-2017 at 5:21 PM.
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Surveys & Voucher

Swagbucks - 532 SB (999SB = £5 paypal)
    Receipt Hog - 213 coins (1500 coins = £5)

Topcashback -£0.49 Payable, £0 Confirmed & £11.04 Pending
    Prolific - £11
    Ipsos - £0
    Next - £20
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 5th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I have a busy but fun day ahead ...I hope

I need to take nephew no 2 to school and then head to airport to pick up sister and 2 kids...I can't wait for lots of baby cuddles. I went to Asda yesterday and bought nappies, shampoo, wipes and baby formula for them and it came to £18!!!! This doesn't affect my spending fast as it wasn't frittering or frivolous.

I'm on my holidays tomorrow and the plane leaves at a reasonable time 9.45am rather than the crack of dawn times we have got recently. I can't wait but I need to check in online and pack. I have a set of minutes to finish first.

Other than that I'm good. I'm reading '50 ways to soothe yourself without food' and have started a few of those techniques.

I will be back in a week... a bit redder and with more freckles
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi

Still on holidays and having a lovely time. We hired a car for 2 days and they let us keep it for an extra half day for nothing . We're in Zante & have toured the island at our own leisurely pace. As usual OH is brown as a berry & im pale and freckly. The mozzies prefer me over OH as I have 6 welts on my legs ... look worse than they are but I'm a bit self conscious of them.

Money front - not too bad - sticking with holiday budget but having fun.

Only a few more days left & it will be back to cold wet N Ireland.
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon

I'm back from lovely warm Zante (28) to lovely wet N Ireland (13 ). Most of the mozzie bites have calmed down except 1 I got last night at the airport which is doing my head in. I can't find the cream I had on holidays but I think I read that vinegar might help so I've dabbed a bit of that on it and it might work. If I could somehow sort out our mad suitcases I will probably find the cream. Main plan for future holidays is to find something to truly scare away mozzies or take a preventative antihistamine tablet (not sure if that would work).

The house was freezing last night so we put on a lovely coal fire and 10 layers of clothing and that will probably be it until the winter. Picked up my pooch from my Mums and he was sooo excited & happy to see me. Mum said he was great company for her and they managed a few walks and a bath (pup hates baths).

I have dragged out my winter coat to put it in the wash as I will need it fresh for Monday morning and train travel. I have a winter 'to do' checklist that I borrowed from a winter prep thread a few years ago and I amend and complete each year so I will go find it.

There was a bit of snail mail waiting for us and I have an appointment with the Electoral office to become a clerk but the date and time don't suit me. I'm lacking on mojo as I don't want to do an assessment if I'm not really that bothered.

I also feel a wee bit out of sorts at the minute, when I went to my Mums she had all the woes of the world saved up for me & I kind of feel sad and frustrated for a family member who is throwing their lives away and they don't seem to realise that they are on a downward spiral but all I can do is support them and their Mum and hope for the best.

Ok will update money front on next post.
    NSD (Sept) 2/12
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    September budget

Grocery - £5071 spent
    Other - £43/£0 spent

September spends

Fri 15th- £61 Asda
    Sat 16th - £10 beautician
    Sun 17th -
    Mon 18th -
    Tues 19th -
    Wed 20th -
    Thurs 21st -
    Fri 22nd -

Total = £71
    Last edited by Munchin; 16-09-2017 at 3:04 PM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Surveys & Voucher

Receipt Hog - 258 coins (1500 coins = £5)

Topcashback -£2.29 Payable, £0 Confirmed & £9.29 Pending
    Prolific - £14.37
    Ipsos - £10
    Next - £20
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 14th Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Winter Checklist 2017

Clothes

Wash all coats, scarves & gloves - need to find them!!
    Repair or buy new socks - visit to Primark
    Check Wellingtons - have boots do same job
    Polish all shoes and boots
    Go back through clothing checking what I need and what I need to replace. Think - what will I wear - what do I need?
    Put away all your summer clothes in either those vacuum bags or in a suitcase for the following year.

Car

Buy in screenwash now - do I have any left?
    Find ice scraper - should be in winter box but will check
    Torch and batteries - hiding somewhere
    Gloves hat and scarf - need to put back in car winter box
    October make sure all fluid levels in cars are correct
    Check tyre pressures and tread levels - OH
    Clean car inside and out making sure car has good amount of wax which protect it from harsh elements and salt and grit on the roads which will cause rust.
    If possible clean out your garage and put your car away each night - not possible as Uncle using garage for storage.

Food
    Stock up on tinned products such as soup, rice pudding, baked beans and spaghetti. These items will keep as good store cupboard standbys.
    Check and clean out your freezer, make a list of what you have and what you need to buy in. Keep at least two loaves of bread in the freezer. A clean frost free freezer will work better than a ice capped one!
    If anything crops up on BOGOF and it will keep/freeze for winter buy it and store it.
    Create a 'stash cupboard' or area where you can put all of your extra buys away safely.
    Batch make homemade soups and freeze. Good idea to do this now while fresh veg is plentiful and it will save on condensation during the cooking/prep during the winter months.

House and garden

Buy in your logs and coal now while cheap deals are on offer - work in progress
    Clean your home - work in progress
    Make door curtains to keep out draughts - 1 door to do.
    Clean windows inside and out - done outside
    Buy in cheap white candles in case of a power cut. Also keep a torch on standby and use in emergency. - have them somewhere
    If you have oil try to make sure that your tank is stocked up by the end of October
    Buy in Flannelette sheets. - done
    Cut back everything in the garden late October to give your garden a big boost the following Spring. Roses love this! - Hedge cut & lane trimmed end of August.
    Clean Your carpets on a good warm day so that they have a good chance of drying quickly
    Drain any outside taps and protect and cover either with an old towel and then covered over with plastic or buy a proper outside tap cover.
    Re-silicone shower areas where the silicone has turned black or mouldy, take it out and redo it. Easy job but so often overlooked. Having the window open also allows the silicone to cure or go off be.
    Check lightbulbs and outside security lighting if broken replace or repair - front light needs replaced.
    Buy in batteries now.
    Put food out for the birds they will so thank you for it. Buy in their food now while it is plentiful.
    Get your paracetamol, throat lozengers and cough mixtures in now, when you are feeling ill the last thing you want to do is traipse down to Boots having to get it in.- check dates as I have some from last winter.
    Last edited by Munchin; 14-09-2017 at 3:25 PM.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 14th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Surveys & Voucher

Receipt Hog - 258 coins (1500 coins = £5)

Topcashback -£2.29 Payable, £0 Confirmed & £9.29 Pending
    Prolific - £14.37
    Ipsos - £10
    Next - £20
    Originally posted by Munchin
    Swagbucks has changed it is 800 for paypal, make sure you do the daily poll and daily crave and you will get there.
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £162.02 Survey Earnings YTD £485.18
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 17th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 5,819 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Scott, thank you. Swagbucks & I are hit & miss but I will get there .

So another lazy Sunday drinking tea and watching F1. This is the first morning I had to set my alarm in 3 weeks and I really struggled with getting out of bed and not because I was tired but just because I didn't want to get back into the work/alarm routine. My colleague texted me on holidays to warn me of some work carp that is going on and I really wish she hadn't.

Money front - so fed up with paying off car loan. I want it paid of yesterday. I still hope to be debt free in Feb 18 but I want it gone now!!!! I spent a wee while looking at winter clothes online (I know I'm not allowed to buy any) but they looked so good. I copied the ones I liked to !pinx to watch the price drop. So far !pinx has saved me a fortune because by the time the price drops or even if it doesn't, the notion to buy has left me. I'm over on the grocery shopping budget because I went to Asda for a quick shop and then bumped into my Mum. I ended up for paying for her shopping . It wasn't much but I'm over on that budget now.

OH & I went out for dinner last night (he paid) and that is the last of our holiday treats and now it's back to porridge.

Plans this week - work, volunteer thing, therapy

Tomorrow is first day back in work and thank goodness it's only a 4 day week for me. I guess I'm not settled with this job even though I've been there 7 months. I don't have any interest in the work and although I'm doing my best it just doesn't excite me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin