Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,116Posts
    • 6,270Thanks
    Munchin
    Dreaming of a life after debt
    • 25th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Dreaming of a life after debt 25th Jun 17 at 1:09 PM
    Hello

It is a very lazy Sunday here and I've decided to start a new diary because my motivation had slipped from the old one. I also think health wise I've moved on a bit as I'm (whisper) fully recovered and don't want to dwell on eating issues. However, although I have made amazing progress in one area of my life I still haven't slayed that debt dragon ... which is the purpose of this new diary and starting with a clean slate .

I should probably have named my diary 'Stop bleeding frittering' but that was a bit harsh, so sticking with dreaming of a life after debt. The plan is to slay the dragon of debt on this diary & be honest with my frittering but what I really hope to achieve is a annilation reduction of frittering which is my biggest issue.

I use YNAB which is for me the best budgeting tool ever .

Ok scary biscuits part - SOA & debt

SOA

Income - £2083

Outgoings:

Groceries: £120
    Entertainment: £45
    General: £30
    Work: £50
    Health/Beauty/Exercise: £100
    Donations: £15
    Pet: £20
    Diesel: £100
    Monthly bills: £400 (rates/rent/tv etc)
    Gifts/Xmas: £100
    Clothes:£50
    Annual: £100 (car, insurance, oil)
    Savings: £600
    Debt: £350

Total: £2080

Debt

Car - £4872
    Credit card - £1129

Total: £6001
    Last edited by Munchin; 27-06-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £4285/£12,000 65% paid (Car - £2265 & CC £2020) . Slowly but surely. Debt Free Date - March 2018
    NST No. 21 for December / NSD - 5/15 / EF #13:£150/£20,000(.75%)

Speaking my truth from a place of love and kindness.
Page 10
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    Christmas presents update @ 08 Dec

Odds - £50

&
    Niece birthday - £10
    Sister birthday - £10 (change of plan, just a card)

Pressies bought

Mum - asda gift voucher (£150 - pay £20 per month) + Yankee candles
    Work Xmas dinner - Paying monthly
    Nephew 1 - £30 - £35
    Nephew 2 - £30 - £30
    Niece 1 - £20 - £15.75
    Nephew 3 - £20 £15.98
    Uncle - £20 (jumper) - £15 (was £35 but I used a voucher)
    OH - £50 (was told to limit pressies) - -£40
    Sister 1 - £10 - £14
    Sister 2 - £10 - £14
    Work chocs - £10 - £25
    Brothers families - £30 - 35
    Cards & wrapping - £10
    - £6

Total - £340/245
    Last edited by Munchin; 08-12-2017 at 5:11 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £4285/£12,000 65% paid (Car - £2265 & CC £2020) . Slowly but surely. Debt Free Date - March 2018

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Dec 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi

Today was nice & quiet with no spending.

Had a quick tidy up & then watched Miracle on 34th St
    The Xmas shopping list is getting smaller, sisters have set a £10 limit but no clue what to get them. Brothers are almost sorted. I will hopefully get all the final bits and pieces sorted this week. OH is sorted , I just got him a fleece, a puzzle, sweets and got a photo with is brother retouched... just need a frame. Will give that to him before Xmas as it will be a tough one for him.

The therapist gave me a list of things to do each week and to build on it week by week. Next week is about planning and only buying things on my list .. I use lists as a starting point .. which doesn’t help with frittering. I know it’s going to be difficult to stick to my list.

Sis and kiddies are home next weekend for a mini Xmas ...can’t wait

Dec Spends

Sun 3rd - NSD (2)
    Mon 4th -NSD (3)
    Tues 5th - £23 (lunch out with friend)
    Wed 6th - NSD (4)
    Thurs 7th - NSD (5)
    Fri 08th - £12.80 (airport parking & coffee)
    Sat 09th -NSD (6)

Total = £35.80
    Last edited by Munchin; 10-12-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 8th Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I feel like doing happy cartwheels this morning as I got my policy statement yesterday. Once I wrestled it from the pups mouth I was able to see that it was more than I had expected and will clear my car loan and half my credit card debt . It matures on 31st Dec and hopefully the money will appear in my bank account soon after. So hopefully early 2018 I will be debt free .

It started snowing last night on my way home from work and at times it was difficult to see much but OH said it was only a flurry...what does he know he wasn't driving in it. This morning there is about 2 inches of snow lying outside. I have a list of things I have to do today as sister and family are coming to stay for the weekend and I haven't got her a pressie for Xmas and I need to tidy Mum's house for them. Its semi tidy but need to change sheets etc and make it more Christmassy.

Money front - NSDs have been going well. I avoid the shops which makes it easy. I will hopefully make my way to shops today to do the last of the Xmas shopping and I will not be counting these spends. I will have a nosy at YNAB now because hopefully I will only have to make a car & credit card payment in January and a CC payment in Feb and from March on my money is mine

Feel so happy. Plans now ...get showered and wait until rush hour traffic pass so that the roads are a bit clearer before I venture out.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 8th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    2018 Plans

Jan - pay off car loan
    Feb - clear credit card

Savings Plan

I have a number of savings accounts on YNAB but they don't have much in them but from March onwards this is the plan:

Aims - clear 1 goal and then move on to next.

1) YNAB buffer - £2000
    2) Emergency Fund - £5000
    3) Car (no plans to change for a long time) - £6000
    4) Massive buffer - £12,000

Total = £25,000

Savings pots

Emergency fund £100
    Christmas savings £50
    Holiday fund £100
    Annual (oil, car) £150
    Events £100

Savings starting March 2018 - £600 per month
    Buffer - £250 per month

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 8th Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    OMG - the roads are a total nightmare. OH took snow of my car this morning and I have no idea how I didnít crash into our pillars as I slid sideways down the drive. I couldnít get the car stopped as I shot across our road (country road). OH was watching me & said I wasnít going that fast ....... in the drivers seat it seemed really fast.

I pootled into shops but I really should have turned for home. Spent the day tidying mums & my sisters flight has been delayed for 3 hours... OH rang to say our road has now got black ice on it & I will never get up drive, so Iím now very nervous & im not even in the car yet .

Itís been snowing on & off all day. The yoga teacher has cancelled tomorrowís class and Iím glad as I wasnít for going anyway.

Ok less of the moaning & back to people watching at the airport and earywigging on conversations
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Morning

I feel like doing happy cartwheels this morning as I got my policy statement yesterday. Once I wrestled it from the pups mouth I was able to see that it was more than I had expected and will clear my car loan and half my credit card debt . It matures on 31st Dec and hopefully the money will appear in my bank account soon after. So hopefully early 2018 I will be debt free

Originally posted by Munchin
    That's great news munchin, what a lovely start to 2018

I hope your sister's plane isn't delayed for too much longer.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Wonderful news on the policy statement Munchin and your goals look pretty good too!

Hope roads are a bit better now.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 9th Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

Thanks Seaside & HHD, - I think staying out of debt come 2018 will be an even bigger challenge.

Iím curled up in bed in my Mums house. We got in late from airport and her road was a nightmare, so I spoke to OH and he said there were cars in ditches on our road and we agreed for me to stay put. Must admit it is kind of nice being tucked up in bed listening to my mum pootle round kitchen .

I suppose I have to head home at some point today.

Driving yesterday it made me realise how easy it could have been to do damage to my car and I wouldnít have funds to cover the damage. It just made me more determined to build up funds to cover emergencies.

Plans today involve going out for dinner tonight and entertaining 6 month old nephew
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I love your comment on hearing your mum pootle around whilst you are in bed Munchin. My DD says the the same thing when she stays with me. Says it makes her feel like a teenager again!

Enjoy your evening tonight - especially with your little nephew - all sounds great fun.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 10th Dec 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    Evening

Today has been a lazy day & now watching ĎIím a celebrityí final . Last night went out for family dinner & slipped and slid all the way home.

This morning I had to pick up mum & take her to mass and neither of our roads were gritted. My car is now parked at end of the drive as it will not go up our hill ...hopefully no one will slide into it. Sister was pleased with Xmas present (gave it to her early as she goes back to England tmw).

Busy week ahead as I have 2 Xmas dinners which I could see far enough now. Iím taking sis and family to airport tomorrow. I think I have all my Xmas shopping done so no more shopping stress.

Dec Spends

Sun 10th - NSD (7)
    Mon 11th - NSD (8)
    Tues 12th - £25 Xmas market
    Wed 13th -
    Thurs 14th -
    Fri 15th -
    Sat 16th -

Total = £25
    Last edited by Munchin; 13-12-2017 at 7:05 AM.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Morning Munchin - you must be pleased that youíve finally got the Xmas shopping out of the way. Enjoy your remaining time with your sister - I bet it must have been lovely to see her - and I hope the roads improve for the journey to the airport.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Dec 17, 10:28 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 2,962 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Well done on getting the Xmas shopping done

Sounds like you've had a lovely weekend, even if the snow made changes to your plans.

Have a good day x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You must have enjoyed seeing your sister. Do you wish she lived nearer? My sister lives in Scotland and I only see her twice a year .

I don't envy you the snow as I dread our car getting pranged and not being able to pay for it .

Well done on getting the Christmas shoppinng organised .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 12th Dec 17, 7:36 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

SS/WF/HHD - thank you for your lovely comments xx. I would love my sister to live closer but after a weekend of chaos itís nice to put house back into order . I really notice it when sheís upset and you canít just reach out and give her a BIG hug 🤗 and things have been tough for her these past few years.

Plans went a bit up the left this morning, was planning to get up 30 mins earlier to be ready & have leisurely breakfast etc. I woke up early & put duvet over my head. Now on slightly later train... road has up graded from ice and snow to black ice..kind of wish other drivers would be a bit more considerate.

Eating front - good session with counsellor who is now away on holiday for a month. A lot of my issues are more thoughts than reality & mindset is starting to get that but itís so slow.

Money front - going strong on NSDs, one of the therapist things is actually helping the money front.. making a shopping list and sticking to it. No random popping into the shop.

Iíve not been in work since Thursday...will be interesting

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,673 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I know how you feel about putting your head under the duvet and staying there Munchin - I often feel like that during the week - especially waking up to these cold dark mornings!

Good news on your positive counselling session and you must be happy that things are going in the right direction.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,674Posts Today

5,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin