Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 24th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 12,218Posts
    • 11,521Thanks
    jenniewb
    Has anyone tried one of those "try for 100 days" mattresses?
    • 24th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    Has anyone tried one of those "try for 100 days" mattresses? 24th Jun 17 at 2:58 PM
    Just wondered if anyone has any experience of those 100 day trial mattresses? There seem to be a few about (Eve, Casper, Simba...) they look like they are similar but claim to be made differently.

They don't seem to vary the firmness and I worry about how warm they get at night. I know it's possible to trial a mattress but really- if I do this and it doesn't work out and I need to hand the mattress back, I can't store my old one just-in-case, and having to wait to hand back a mattress would mean I wouldn't get a refund straight away to go out and find another more suitable type, I'd be bed-less for a few days/a week before having my money back to go searching again.

Has anyone got any experience comparing the several online-only types? Has anyone got any experience where they were able to compare between each of them?
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 24th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 4,976 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 24th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    I doubt that they would have any use for a used mattress,so probably put all kinds of obstacle in your way, should you want to do a return. Try one in a local showroom and if over heating is your problem,you can buy cooling mats and pillow pads to help.
    • Empor
    • By Empor 24th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Empor
    • 24th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    I got a Simba on Wednesday. UPS did "try" to deliver it on Tuesday, I stayed in all day only to find a card later saying no-one was in. !!!!!!!! UPS - anything to do with not wanting to deliver a 29kg box up two flights of stairs?

They stock them at John Lewis so I had a quick test there first. So far, it's ok, but I'll have to wait and see how it goes. It is a bit softer than I'm used to, and the memory foam top is warmer. It's got quite a strong (bad) new mattress smell but I'll assume this will go away.

I have slept quite well on it to be fair, and being from John Lewis I would have thought the 100 day trial would be honoured. Not thrown away the old mattress yet though just in case.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 24th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,933 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 24th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    My experience of a memory foam mattress (not any of the brands mentioned) is that it is not only uncomfortably clammy but it lacks 'bounce' compared to a spring mattress. This means that when I turn over it takes a while for the mattress to rise up and meet my changed position.

If you want to try memory foam then I'd suggest getting a topper to go on your existing mattress, as this will give some 'bounce' and also be cheaper than a new mattress.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 24th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 24th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    I doubt that they would have any use for a used mattress,so probably put all kinds of obstacle in your way, should you want to do a return. Try one in a local showroom and if over heating is your problem,you can buy cooling mats and pillow pads to help.
    Originally posted by teddysmum

Maybe helpful if you could read the offer from the mattress companies before posting- they all offer a try for 100 days offer and you can return at any time after having tried. It's just that your reply doesn't make much sense in terms of the offer they each have and the question I asked.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 24th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 24th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 11:34 PM
    My experience of a memory foam mattress (not any of the brands mentioned) is that it is not only uncomfortably clammy but it lacks 'bounce' compared to a spring mattress. This means that when I turn over it takes a while for the mattress to rise up and meet my changed position.

If you want to try memory foam then I'd suggest getting a topper to go on your existing mattress, as this will give some 'bounce' and also be cheaper than a new mattress.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver

The thing is, despite normally getting very warm at night when I sleep, I slept on a Tempur mattress for a week (my aunt has them) and no issues at all. I'm not sure what others find when it comes to memory foam and if there are good or bad memory foam types or something.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 25th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 4,976 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 25th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 25th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    Maybe helpful if you could read the offer from the mattress companies before posting- they all offer a try for 100 days offer and you can return at any time after having tried. It's just that your reply doesn't make much sense in terms of the offer they each have and the question I asked.
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    So sorry to have upset you so much that your reply was warranted.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 23rd Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 9,626 Posts
    • 12,143 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 23rd Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    Found this thread after doing a lot of research are considering one. From all the reviews give read, it really is a no-quibble return policy. They all appreciate it won't suit 100% of the population.

Trying to decide between the Simba, Bruno and OTTY.

Most actually have the memory foam below the top surface, or use an alternative like latex. Not many have complaints of being too hot (like with a memory foam mattress). Usually it's where a mattress protector has been used. They suggest alternatives, or offer their own version.

Will let you know what I choose and think. Won't be for a while as moving house first.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 23rd Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 23rd Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    I have often wondered what happens to all these used mattresses - there must be many people who do not like them and take advantage of the trial period to return them.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 8,367 Posts
    • 4,976 Thanks
    teddysmum
    When I was looking for a memory foam pillow (they vary so much in feel and quality) , a lady who was also looking commented on how soft some were ,adding that she regretted buying her Tempur mattress as, after a while, she found it too firm.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 23rd Sep 17, 11:25 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    boliston
    i'm definitely a convert to latex mattresses after having a foam mattress for about 8 years - the foam was ok but gradually seemed to loose its firmness - i have had my latex mattress for 3 years now and it's not really changed at all and has kept its firmness well - the only downside is that its not so easy to flip as it weighs a ton compared with foam!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 24th Sep 17, 4:32 AM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I have often wondered what happens to all these used mattresses - there must be many people who do not like them and take advantage of the trial period to return them.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Some are given to charity shops- I've seen them in bulk. I don't know if that is the same for all and I think trading standards wouldstop anything being resold without a hyper clean first so I'm not personally worried about anything. I don't think they can resell so easily though when they all seem to arrive the size of a house brick and take a few hours to expand to full size. They can't squeeze them back down because they'd risk damaging the spings even if they had the machinary to do that.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 24th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 9,626 Posts
    • 12,143 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Lots are given to homeless charities too. They are cleaned if necessary (some have removable cover) or bits replaced I think.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 24th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Some are given to charity shops- I've seen them in bulk. I don't know if that is the same for all and I think trading standards wouldstop anything being resold without a hyper clean first so I'm not personally worried about anything. I don't think they can resell so easily though when they all seem to arrive the size of a house brick and take a few hours to expand to full size. They can't squeeze them back down because they'd risk damaging the spings even if they had the machinary to do that.
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    That's good to know - it would be a shocking waste for them to end up at the local tip.
    • annie_d
    • By annie_d 6th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 1,988 Thanks
    annie_d
    We got the Hyde and Sleep mattress and I LOVE it. It's definitely warmer than I was used to but with a cool cotton mattress protector and sheet it's great. Genuinely don't want to get out of it in the morning.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 6th Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    • 14,216 Posts
    • 14,149 Thanks
    Nile
    Please click on the spam button, for the post by:

thebestdayever

Thanks

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • Ash Pole
    • By Ash Pole 7th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Ash Pole
    We got the Hyde and Sleep mattress and I LOVE it. It's definitely warmer than I was used to but with a cool cotton mattress protector and sheet it's great. Genuinely don't want to get out of it in the morning.
    Originally posted by annie_d
    I ended up with a "regular" mattress but it's still warmer than I'm used to. Any recommendations for a cool mattress protector? Do these really work?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

646Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin