Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 August 2017 at 5:14PM
    "ooh, you are a caution!"

In Britain in the sense of a lovable rogue, scamp, both approving and disapproving at the same time.......

"caution n. a thing or (now esp.) a person that causes astonishment, annoyance, or amusement—also constr. with ref. to assorted animals. Now colloq."

In the USA.....
    "Many of the nineteenth-century examples reported in this dictionary appear as part of a longer phrase, "a caution to X." For example, "The way I'll lick you will be a caution to the balance of your family" (1834); "The way I did sail was a caution to turkles and all other slow varmints" (1845); "The way that gal squealed ... was a caution to screech owls" (1861); "He began to scull himself along at a rate that was a caution to snakes" (1896); and "Ain't that a caution to yaller snakes?" (1899)."

So, the thing that you are a caution to, depended on what you were doing, but at some stage the 'thing' disappeared, leaving the phrase "ooh, you are a a caution", having the same implications as "ooh! You are a one!"
    You can almost hear Kenneth Williams saying " ooh! Stop messing about!":rotfl:

On an inky note, :D:D, I have just got back from shopping, and at the checkout, the assistant remarked on the amount of my bill, given that I hadn't even bought a whole shallow trolley's worth of stuff. So wearily, I explained that as well as a few foodstuffs, I had bought two packs of inks for the Epson! It's all right, I gave him the benefit of my moan! Which was his fault anyway, for bringing the subject up! :D

Mind you, the enormity of the bill had been extra augmented by the fact that a 15-yr old Glenlivet was on special offer, plus I had also bought some cheap vodka which I use for cleaning purposes and wound dressing. Yes you heard correctly! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Mind you, the enormity of the bill had been extra augmented by the fact that a 15-yr old Glenlivet was on special offer, plus I had also bought some cheap vodka which I use for cleaning purposes and wound dressing. Yes you heard correctly! :D

At least you got the spirits the right way around :rotfl:
  • Pyxis
    chris_m wrote: »
    At least you got the spirits the right way around :rotfl:

I would have to be in the wilderness needing an operation without a G.A. or antibiotics before I would use a 15-yr old Glenlivet for wound dressing. :D

Mind you, some of the vodka might get used for cleaning the inside of my stomach, especially when the Glenlivet has run out.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Lovely cushions Lydia! And don't they look good against the black sofa!

Aww... thank you ivyleaf. :)
    All this talk of decorating is making me wish I had the motivation to deal with my house.

There are a number of things I'd like to have done..... an ensuite, some bifold doors to the garden, a hole punched through a wall, fitted wardrobes in two rooms, etc. etc. etc., and because those things involve some structural alterations, there doesn't seem any point in redecorating or laying carpets till it's done.

This has been going on for several years, though! :(

Also holding me back is the thought of having to find/deal with builders, as I had two bad experiences in the past.

And not least having to move all the 'stuff' so that the work could actually be done.

I bought a lovely stripy stair runner several years ago, and it's still rolled up waiting to be laid. :(
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Pyxis if it makes you feel any better I have a roll of vinyl flooring standing in the corner of the hall which has been waiting nearly 2 years to be laid in the bathroom. And 2 new radiators in their packaging, which have been leaning against the walls of the living room and the dining room waiting to be installed in DS's bedroom (which can't be done until the walls are replastered, which in turn can't be done because his room is so full of carp he doesn't get around to getting rid of) and the boxroom, (which can't be done because it's full of carp OH can't bear to part with) again for over 2 years :mad:

If it makes the two of you feel better... the stuff I'm doing now is stuff I've been putting off for years. It's only the propect of DD going on a French exchange and therefore of us having to host a visiting teenager in my house that it propelling me into doing something about it. :o
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • Pyxis
    LydiaJ wrote: »
    Aww... thank you ivyleaf. :)

If it makes the two of you feel better... the stuff I'm doing now is stuff I've been putting off for years. It's only the propect of DD going on a French exchange and therefore of us having to host a visiting teenager in my house that it propelling me into doing something about it. :o

Perhaps I should advertise for a French student then........... except there is no longer anyone to exchange for them. :(
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• chris_m
    LydiaJ wrote: »
    If it makes the two of you feel better... the stuff I'm doing now is stuff I've been putting off for years.

The stuff I'm doing, i.e. gardening, is stuff I'd been putting off for 25 years - although I have to admit that gardening in a first floor flat with no garden would have been a tad tricky anyway.
    Therefore, now I actually do have a garden, I'm making the most of it ;)
  • Pyxis
    When I was in Sainsbobs earlier this afternoon, I saw a woman walk past me across the top of the aisle.

She had a brand new lawn edger in one hand, and a bottle of white wine in the other.

She was gone before I could congratulate her on a perfect combination of purchases. :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• chris_m
    When I was in Sainsbobs earlier this afternoon, I saw a woman walk past me across the top of the aisle.

She had a brand new lawn edger in one hand, and a bottle of white wine in the other.

She was gone before I could congratulate her on a perfect combination of purchases. :)

Most people would use a corkscrew to open a bottle, maybe she uses hers to trim the lawn :rotfl:
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Rain. Lots of it. And wind. Looks like a stormy night to come here.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • Pyxis
    Have you been able to wear your lovely green dress again, Lydia?

When I was out shopping today, I thought I'd pop into one or two clothes shops to see if there were any must-have clothes going, seeing as how I'm on my holiday soon.

I don't normally frequent clothes shops, preferring to get the bulk of my clothes from charity shops, but as I was there............

I was appalled. There are still a lot of ghastly patterns out there, and dreary colour combinations.
    And thin, poor quality materials.

One thing there is a dearth of is loose, comfy, cotton-mix trousers, you know..... palazzo pants type thing, useful for slopping around in at home or on hol in a hot place........ but in PLAIN colours.

Any that are out there are always in some ghastly pattern.

Some might be in a nice pattern, but the problem is that nearly all my tops are patterned, so I need plain trousers to go with them, and jeans are too hot for Italy.

And another thing....... so many now have elasticated ankles. Grrrr.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport