Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    , it's a lovely afternoon here still, so hopefully it stays like that. :)

It's rather nice here at present. Most of the morning it was dark as heck, with a weird yellow tinge to the clouds - it really looked like an indication of impending doom ;)

Now, it's brightened up considerably, with the sun peeking through for quite reasonable periods, although the wind is picking up now.

That Ventusky site that someone told us about a few weeks ago looks rather spectacular with the wind animations switched on;

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=54.2;-3.3;5&l=gust

Especially if you change the date/time on it to somewhen early tomorrow morning :eek::eek::eek:
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 October 2017 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Yes, it did look dreadful earlier, and as you said, a yellowish, cloudy sky but no rain or wind, very dark, and a very strange darkness. I was out at the time, and it gave me a feeling of great urgency to get home.

Now, it's a lot brighter, but the wind's getting up. Not unusually so at the moment, though.

Having seen the weather map a bit earlier, it looks like the centre of the depression will miss most of England, though, with the posssibe exception of Cumbria, although I dare say the rest of England will get the 'ripples'.

Anyone know how Ireland has fared so far, as they've got the worst of it, I believe?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    It's rather nice here at present. Most of the morning it was dark as heck, with a weird yellow tinge to the clouds - it really looked like an indication of impending doom ;)

Now, it's brightened up considerably, with the sun peeking through for quite reasonable periods, although the wind is picking up now.

That Ventusky site that someone told us about a few weeks ago looks rather spectacular with the wind animations switched on;

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=54.2;-3.3;5&l=gust

Especially if you change the date/time on it to somewhen early tomorrow morning :eek::eek::eek:

Batten down your hatches!

Not very fast moving for a fast moving thing, is it? Iyswim
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Having seen the weather map a bit earlier, it looks like the centre of the depression will miss most of England, though, with the posssibe exception of Cumbria, although I dare say the rest of England will get the 'ripples'.

The "eye" is tracking up the west of Ireland and won't hit mainland Britain until western Scotland. We are, or will be, getting the outer winds which look likely to be quite bad enough thansk.
    Anyone know how Ireland has fared so far, as they've got the worst of it, I believe?

The latest I've seen is one dead when a tree fell on her car, 100K+ without power and the roof's blown off a football stadium in Cork.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    The "eye" is tracking up the west of Ireland and won't hit mainland Britain until western Scotland. We are, or will be, getting the outer winds which look likely to be quite bad enough thansk.

The latest I've seen is one dead when a tree fell on her car, 100K+ without power and the roof's blown off a football stadium in Cork.

100k without power! :eek:

I just got a nice surprise!

I regularly do cryptic crosswords, but don't bother sending them up to enter for the prize, if there is one, except for one national publication which I do send away.

Anyway, in the post today was a letter to say I'd won a runner-up prize! Ok, it was only for a few pounds, but a nice surprise nevertheless!
    Mind you, it has probably only refunded me the postage I've used sending the crosswords off over the years!

I know the avid compers among you will grin, but I don't go in for any other competitions, so it's quite nice!

And as they say, better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick! :D

(
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Driving along the motorway last week and I was doing about 70 in middle lane, someone doing about 80 in outside lane gets held up by traffic ahead, so slows down to 70 and is parallel to me. Seeing that he can't speed up. He gets out his phone! And starts texting!!!! Glancing up regularly to check, but texting!! at 70 mph!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am beginning to think that where I thought an irritant neighbour was moving out, they might have gone on holiday....

Just have to wait it out and see what happens next.

It's term-time and they have 2 kids (7 & 10). I saw all four of them leaving at 10.25am last Tuesday (not stalking, a perchance spot of them leaving) ... then I saw him removing furniture and scooters on Saturday .... but he's just back from work in his workwear. So maybe he's had a sort out while the wife/kids are abroad on holiday.

:(

I do despise their kids.

I despise and despair of the behaviours of other neighbours' kids, I don't despise the individual kids (well, except one) .... but that particular pair have really got on my t1t5, so I begrudge them breathing.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Aww, ((((((((((Pastures))))))))))

(Them's not real hugs, as I know you don't like hugs; them's just huggy thoughts).
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    Options
    There's a very interesting thing on the news about the discovery of the collision of two neutron stars, which has never been 'seen' before, and they recorded the sound, which was a bit like when the pod went pop! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2017 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Had an over-exciting afternoon:

The (huge) top of the shed in next field landed on our caravan, think it's damaged back of caravan, bounced off and flew down into next door field just by us. :eek: I'm shaking! And it didn't half give the birds a shock!

Electric and internet in that shed (belongs to our Landlord), so when the rain starts prob power will go off. Aaarrrggghhh! :(

OH phoned xxxx (our landlord, it's his shed), and he told OH that it blew off about 3 years ago and had to be fixed. They obviously didn't make a very good job of it! :(

We'd already moved some stuff to that shed in advance of moving to new caravan come January-ish, so OH went to try rescue lamps before the rain comes. (he got them but is leaving rest of stuff as it's scary out there)

He says we were lucky as it's more or less demolished *our* shed, which means that took the brunt of it all.

I'm still shaking, the noise of it hitting our caravan was incredible.

37476839000_14b8d79ddd.jpgShed roof in field by us by Maggie, on Flickr

37477235830_f0323dde72.jpgOur shed! by Maggie, on Flickr

I'm very glad I got a shower yesterday! Think I might sleep in my clothes tonight, just in case. ;):o

Landlord coming with the cavalry early tomorrow. ;):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure