Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 24th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 525Posts
    • 413Thanks
    Rich2808
    New HSBC debit card 2% cashback scheme from 1 July
    • 24th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    New HSBC debit card 2% cashback scheme from 1 July 24th Jun 17 at 10:39 AM
    I have received an email confirming thst from 1 July until 1 October HSBC are offering 2 per cent cashback on all purchases on visa debit cards to their current account customers up to a maximum cashback of 10 a month ( equating to 500 of monthly spending).

Presumably an attempt to match the co op and TSB - but odd that it's only for 3 months!

It's apparently a summer treat for customers.
Page 2
    • andi2
    • By andi2 5th Jul 17, 5:49 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    andi2
    Came back to update - made a non-contactless purchase (terminal declined so had to enter the pin) & have had the 5p cashback added. So hopefully it's all spend that counts
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 5th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Rather than all customers it is being targeted at people who don't use their debit cards / accounts more or less dormant according to person I spoke to at HSBC (I have a Premier account but not used it for several years - nor the debit card - except for monthly so into reg saver.....not had the 2% cash back offer email though.)
    Originally posted by tg99
    I've never used my debit card but haven't received this offer.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 5th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    Came back to update - made a non-contactless purchase (terminal declined so had to enter the pin) & have had the 5p cashback added. So hopefully it's all spend that counts
    Originally posted by andi2
    I spent about 300 at the weekend and nothing added yet. A mix of contactless and chip and pin. I wondered if I would be declined for contactless as these are more or less the first transactions I have made with it, but everything went through fine.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 5th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    4 Transactions made via Android Pay and total of 16p cash back received for the 1st 2 so far.
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 5th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    I can report online, chip and pin, and contactless payments made on 1 July have today been credited with 2% cashback, each listed as a seperate transaction, and they seem to be rounding to nearest penny.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 6th Jul 17, 4:50 AM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I've now received my separate payments for purchases made at the weekend. The system works!
    • Mr Goodkat
    • By Mr Goodkat 7th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Mr Goodkat
    I am starting to receive the 2% cashback on a variety of transactions, online, chip and pin and contactless.

Good in a sense that you see it happening much prefer the TSB approach of crediting on a monthly basis.
    • darkidoe
    • By darkidoe 7th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    darkidoe
    Does the cashback come per transaction?? Unfortunately my card is not contactless, so I shall be trying Apple pay whenever possible. Hope it works

Save 12K in 2017 # 9 11,119.65/15 000 (74%)
    Save 12K in 2016 # 8 19 721.58/12 000 (164.35%) Achieved!
    • Mr Goodkat
    • By Mr Goodkat 7th Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Mr Goodkat
    Does the cashback come per transaction?? Unfortunately my card is not contactless, so I shall be trying Apple pay whenever possible. Hope it works
    Originally posted by darkidoe
    Yes the 2% cash back is paid transaction by transaction a couple of days after the transaction posts.

My cash back is on ALL transactions - contactless, chip and pin and cardholder not present

The one reference in the terms and conditions mentioning contactless seems to be wrong as all transactions for me anyway are returning cash back andother than one mention nothing else is said about contactless
    • michaels
    • By michaels 10th Jul 17, 10:24 AM
    • 19,761 Posts
    • 90,284 Thanks
    michaels
    Anyone know if DVLA car tax purchase online earns cashback? (Otherwise is it still possible ot pay for car tax at the postoffice?) How about on line payments to utilities?
    Cool heads and compromise
    • myth123
    • By myth123 11th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    myth123
    Anyone know if DVLA car tax purchase online earns cashback? (Otherwise is it still possible ot pay for car tax at the postoffice?) How about on line payments to utilities?
    Originally posted by michaels
    I don't know how helpful this will be but I paid for my TV Licence with a debit card and it gave me 2% cashback.

Gambling transactions definitely don't work (as per the T&Cs), I say this because for the TSB contactless/Apple Pay cashback, they did pay the cashback through Apple Pay deposit using the skybet app (although I didn't actually read the T&Cs so may have allowed it).
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 11th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    I've got a HSBC Advance account and haven't received an email. I wonder if this is customer specific.
    Originally posted by TheEffect
    Still the same here!
    • verybigchris
    • By verybigchris 11th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    verybigchris
    If there wasn't a monthly cashback limit I might try making a pension top-up by debit card!
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 12th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    spenderdave
    HSBC Advanced, no email or online message, no sign of any cashback on my transactions.
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 12th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    crumpetman
    I didn't get an email but used the online chat at HSBC to check if I am eligible for this promotion and they said yes. I have never used my debit card before so used it for the first time two days ago, transaction shows on my account but no cashback.

Is it obvious where the cashback is displayed? Does it take a long time to appear?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 7,015 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Originally posted by michaels
    Just received my cashback for road tax, seems to take 2 days to credit.

Interesting to see what will and won't earn it, might try a deposit it's Ablrate to see if that works, probably not but no cost in trying.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 16th Jul 17, 12:07 AM
    • 19,761 Posts
    • 90,284 Thanks
    michaels
    Anyone tried cashback transaction at the supermarket....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 16th Jul 17, 1:02 AM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    soulsaver
    I got the email 24/06 headed, "Earn up to 30 on your card this summer".

I hadn't paid it any attention... did those saying they did't get it actually miss it? I did.

Think you'd get the cash back using it to fund Ratesetter, or the like?
    Last edited by soulsaver; 16-07-2017 at 1:06 AM.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 16th Jul 17, 1:19 AM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Tried it for Ratesetter, needed to test the rolling market for a theory, anyhow - so not wasted either way.
    • Jsscmm
    • By Jsscmm 16th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Jsscmm
    If there wasn't a monthly cashback limit I might try making a pension top-up by debit card!
    Originally posted by verybigchris
    I tried this for my monthly youinvest payment... no cashback. Same with Charles Stanley direct.

Oh well, worth a try.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,278Posts Today

6,938Users online

Martin's Twitter