Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brinkytwiddleee
    • By brinkytwiddleee 23rd Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 2Thanks
    brinkytwiddleee
    Moved out on 30 may and still not had deposit back and agents not responding
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    Moved out on 30 may and still not had deposit back and agents not responding 23rd Jun 17 at 12:58 PM
    Seems strange since they would usually respond within a day of me sending them emails and I have sent like 3-4 emails and not a peep from them for more than a week.

I had a letter in 2014 saying my deposit was unprotected. Could this be the reason they don't want to reply? Could it be they found out the landlord was in the wrong by not reprotecting my deposit and they are trying to cover their tracks before responding to me? This was when I was with a different agent and the landlord changed to this one only about 6 months before I moved out.

They were going to take £160 for a professsional clean which I would have reluctantly accepted if my deposit had been returned to me but it still hasn't and I can't get any reply from them over email now.

So what should I do next?

I checked on the 3 deposit sites and couldn't find any infortmation about my deposit on any of them.

EDIT: It also may have been protected all along just that I didn't put the correct dates into the websites because they ask when it started and if there was a new one made I have no idea when it started from because I never got information about a new one from the landlord so no idea when they would have done it if at all.
    Last edited by brinkytwiddleee; 23-06-2017 at 1:08 PM.
Page 4
    • brinkytwiddleee
    • By brinkytwiddleee 29th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    brinkytwiddleee
    Thanks guys,

Just sent via first class, with proof of postage, as suggested.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 29th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 40,128 Posts
    • 45,845 Thanks
    G_M

• Guest101
    • By Guest101 29th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 14,477 Posts
    • 14,159 Thanks
    Guest101

Originally posted by G_M

Think I need a drink! It's five o'clock somewhere....
    • brinkytwiddleee
    • By brinkytwiddleee 16th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    brinkytwiddleee
    Ok so it's now the 16th of July and still heard absolutely nothing back from either the landlord or the agents so what are my next steps?

I might understand how a landlord might try and avoid contact but I can't understand how a supposedly reputable company with a name to uphold are ignoring all communication; not even giving any kind of made up reason why I haven't been paid just total radio silence.

Anyway, what to do now?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 16th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 10,621 Posts
    • 14,593 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Ok so it's now the 16th of July and still heard absolutely nothing back from either the landlord or the agents so what are my next steps?

I might understand how a landlord might try and avoid contact but I can't understand how a supposedly reputable company with a name to uphold are ignoring all communication; not even giving any kind of made up reason why I haven't been paid just total radio silence.

Anyway, what to do now?
    Originally posted by brinkytwiddleee
    Hmmmm, what to do now? Try reading the advice you've already been given in this thread, your previous thread, and G_M's useful guide to Deposits: payment, protection and return, and take some action. Alternatively do eff all and chalk it up to experience.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 16th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 54,345 Posts
    • 47,160 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Have you actually been to the Agents premises in person?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • brinkytwiddleee
    • By brinkytwiddleee 16th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    brinkytwiddleee
    Have you actually been to the Agents premises in person?
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    I don't live in the same region any more.

Ah I see the info is here

http://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/court_action_for_a_tenancy_deposit_refund

If I no longer live in the city where I used to rent the property and the landlord also wasn't from there where would I actually be going to court to make the claim? My current city or I would have to travel back to the old one? Do you need to go in person at all or can you just send the relevant information?
    Last edited by brinkytwiddleee; 16-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 16th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 3,659 Thanks
    00ec25

Anyway, what to do now?
    it is quite remarkable that you ask such a question after so many posts, it suggests you really do not want to resolve this?

- visit the agency in person, you have their address, you don't leave until you get an answer

- I've only skim read the thread, but if the "letter" you sent was the letter before action you were told to do then now TAKE LEGAL ACTION . If you are still of the view expressed earlier that you won't then this thread is at an end because that is the end point.

I don't live in the same region any more.
    then it is obvious that the amount of money involved is not enough that you care enough - give up, walk away and move on with your life.
    Last edited by 00ec25; 16-07-2017 at 6:18 PM.
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 16th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    I spoke to my mum last night and agreed I will put my address on.

If I am an illegal then you should all give me a round of applause for learning the language so well.

I know a few American's being loosey goosey with UK immigration laws and surprisingly they speak English quite well.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 16th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 3,659 Thanks
    00ec25
    I know a few American's being loosey goosey with UK immigration laws and surprisingly they speak English quite well.
    Originally posted by SnooksNJ
    LOL. Spelling, dear boy.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 16th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    cjdavies

Anyway, what to do now?
    I have read whole thread and from what I gather since you don't want to bother with court, then nothing, write it off. Unless you changed your mind?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

848Posts Today

7,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin