Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 23rd Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,352Posts
    • 1,099Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Clydesdale bank crazy situation
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    Clydesdale bank crazy situation 23rd Jun 17 at 12:31 PM
    Ok so I switched my current account (one of two that I have) from Clydesdale to Coop a few months ago. Since then I apparently left it £5 over the overdraft limit of £30 and have been trying to pay an amount they said I owe the of £47.91. I keep making the online payment and thinking it's gone through.

Then a few days later I get a letter saying I owe them the money and they don't have it. I clearly know how to use online banking as I use it all the time. I have had no other problems with the account I'm sending it from. I've now sent £200 because this money has disappeared. I know for certain I input the correct details.

This is frustrating and concerning beyond belief. What can I do to prove I'm making the payments? Clydesdale don't even have a branch near me. I wish I'd never done any account switching it is a nightmare when it goes wrong, like a Kafka novel. Terrible.

I have spoken to Halifax and they tell me I've sent it to another account of mine. I checked and it is in there! But my God each time I do put the details in for my Clydesdale. She is checking it at the moment but they keep telling me what I'm doing and I KNOW 100% that I put it in the right one. 4x to do something like that?!

I'm in tears over it. I know it sounds silly but I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall and I can't resolve it. Only Halifax can.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 23rd Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    While they should have made it clearer exactly how to repay your overdraft I'm not sure the fault is all theirs - all of your attempted payments must have been bouncing through to your other account so even though you couldn't check Clydesdale you still should have been able to see all these payments coming through elsewhere and realised what was going on?

No doubt Clydesdale wouldn't have joined up the dots to realise why you weren't succeeding in repaying your debt to them so what you perceive as harassment they'd just see as legitimate credit control chasing given no visible (to them) attempts to repay - you may be able to secure some sort of goodwill gesture from them but in your shoes I wouldn't be simply expecting them to write it off even if that seems like the simplest thing to you!

I'm still a bit puzzled as to how a switched account is overdrawn though - if it was overdrawn when switched then they'd obviously have needed the repayment to close it (I'd have assumed this would need to be done as part of the switch), but if it wasn't overdrawn when switched then how did it become so afterwards?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    PS I did check my other accounts, did see the other payments, thought I was going mad and had put the other bank's details in and not Clydesdale. So I thought (as I was being told as well) I might be mistakenly putting in my Coop details and then my TSB. It might sound thick but that is what Halifax were telling me - and that is what the online banking system showed - ie I only had online payments set up for TSB and Coop (many times).

Maybe I'm slow or maybe I just kept getting stonewalled by the banks whenever I tried to sort it out. They kept saying I hadn't made a payment or set up that online payment and the last time I phoned them today I was telling the I seriously needed a witness next time I did it because I could not trust my own mind anymore. I told Halifax today that I saw 'Clydesdale' come up when I put in the sort code and I was 100% certain I had done it numerous times. It occurred to neither of us what might have happened. It is only obvious when you know it especially for me when I have a lot of other things on my plate and struggle to keep up with payments anyway. They should know more about their own systems though -even (especially) customer services/IT.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By eskbanker 23rd Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    eskbanker
    As far as I was aware switches don't switch payments into the account as well as out! This hasn't happened previously. It has switched the direct debits. I know this now but no it hadn't occurred to me but to be fair neither had it occurred to staff (including IT in online banking) in two banks.
    Originally posted by AliceBanned
    I don't see how I'm responsible really at all. In the end I posted on here which is where I learnt that payments get redirected to. it seemed obvious once I was told but amidst all the stress and confusion of the situation I was looking to them for advice and was not given the right info by either bank.
    I'm not trying to kick you when you're down but just observing that redirecting both inbound and outbound payments is a key and highly-publicised feature of the Current Account Switching Service (which I assume you were using to switch for incentives?) so am unsure why you say it hasn't happened previously.

In terms of its visibility, it's on the front page at https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/ ("Simply open a new current account, decide when you want to switch and then your new bank or building society will take care of the rest. This includes moving all your incoming and outgoing payments, moving your outstanding balance and closing your old account. ​​The process is the same everywhere, so you’ll know what to expect when you switch, no matter which bank or building society you choose.") and the brief switching bullet points at https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/currentaccounts ("Payments into and out of your old account are redirected") and will have been mentioned in all of the switching paperwork that you'd have had to acknowledge when switching.

As per earlier post, I'm not blindly trying to defend the bank(s) here but equally I don't think you should be claiming that you made no contribution to the situation either. If you neglected to read or understand the relevant paperwork relating to the switching itself, are you 100% sure that Clydesdale didn't give any indication in any of their letters about exactly how to repay your overdraft after the switch? If you do have letters that don't make it clear then yes, definitely worth sending copies to the complaints team....
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 23rd Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    I've checked all 4 letters and remember the phone conversations. They clearly told me to pay via online payment and gave the impression that they thought this would be fine.

Also come to think of it, I'm highly unlikely to go into unplanned overdraft and so I probably made previous payments, thinking they were going to Clydesdale and then went into unplanned overdraft. I don't know how I'm going to chase all of them because Halifax now tell me that because of data protection the divert is not made overt at all anywhere.

No I have never noticed it was incoming payments as well. I was more concerned about ensuring my bills were paid and direct debits were transferred and as I mentioned previously I'm in quite a stressful situation personally and financially so that is also why. The incentives are not worth it but I thought they would help me get out of an expensive overdraft and MSE is full of people recommending it, but I won't be doing it again, it's not for me because of my mental state.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 23rd Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    And I wasn't blaming only the banks. I said above:

'I told Halifax today that I saw 'Clydesdale' come up when I put in the sort code and I was 100% certain I had done it numerous times. It occurred to neither of us what might have happened.'
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By eskbanker 23rd Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I've checked all 4 letters and remember the phone conversations. They clearly told me to pay via online payment and gave the impression that they thought this would be fine.
    But do the letters specifically say online payment directly into your old account, or to another account?

Halifax now tell me that because of data protection the divert is not made overt at all anywhere.
    If Halifax said that, then they're being a little disingenuous as CASS does advise senders that redirection is happening and where it's going:
    All incoming and outgoing payments will be automatically redirected to your new account. Each time a payment is redirected, an automatic message is sent back to the originator advising them of your new account details so they can update their records. Some organisations may contact you directly to confirm your details have changed. If you do not want your new details to be given to someone who sends a one-off payment, contact your new bank.
    and hence your earlier comment that "Even on the Halifax online banking, the bill payment I set up was changing itself to the new accounts!!"
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 23rd Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    From Clydesdale 'please pay enough money into your account to bring your balance back into credit'. In 4 letters and I was told on phone to do via online payment several times.☹️
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Shakin Steve 23rd Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    And the moral of the story is: Make sure you are not in arrears before you switch accounts.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 23rd Jun 17, 10:14 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Once the electronic payments didn't work, didn't you send Clydesdale a cheque and make them sort it out? I would have.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 25th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Once the electronic payments didn't work, didn't you send Clydesdale a cheque and make them sort it out? I would have.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    4x I have been informed by both banks to carry on with electronic payments and to send payments again. As they nor I knew until
    yesterday why they would never go through and as Clydesdale have. still not told me how I can pay it in eg a holding account, and as I do all my other banking via online banking with no issues, no I haven't sent a cheque and don't remember the last time I saw my cheque book. I have written to them telling them to sort it out though yes.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Heng Leng 25th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    4x I have been informed by both banks to carry on with electronic payments and to send payments again. As they nor I knew until
    yesterday why they would never go through and as Clydesdale have. still not told me how I can pay it in eg a holding account, and as I do all my other banking via online banking with no issues, no I haven't sent a cheque and don't remember the last time I saw my cheque book. I have written to them telling them to sort it out though yes.
    You obviously knew something was wrong as you sent the 'same payment' four times. I don't know why anyone would keep doing something clearly not working.
    • mailmannz
    • By mailmannz 26th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    mailmannz
    1. Exactly how much was your account over drawn?
    2. Of that total, how much of that was their fees?

If it was me I would ring them up, ask politely if they could write off the fees they charged (good will gesture for the dicking about you have been getting) THEN ask them for an account you can pay the remaining debt in to.

If they cant do any of these then complain to them via their complaints procedure. If you get no satisfaction from that then go to the FOS.

The switching process has worked, its just your outstanding debt that's causing the issues here.

Regards

Mailman
    Last edited by mailmannz; 26-06-2017 at 2:16 PM.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 28th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Yes and it was my fault there was an outstanding debt - albeit some of it charges that went on after.

I've spoken to their complaints team now and they have been reassuring. I've also sent a cheque. I think they've finally heard me and understand I've been messed about numerous times because their staff didn't realise what was going on and perhaps should have.

I've calmed down now but Friday was horrendous and I was really panicking.

They are going to come back to me after they've investigated my complaint.

Final balance outstanding was £35.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 28th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    You obviously knew something was wrong as you sent the 'same payment' four times. I don't know why anyone would keep doing something clearly not working.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Because I was being pressurized by the letters they were sending me and kept thinking I must have inputted the wrong information (as they were telling me I must have). I didn't have the courage of my convictions against 2 banks telling me I'd not sent the payment and I also couldn't track the payments as they went through two other switches. Also I stopped using Clydesdale a few months ago so didn't remember my banking log in after clearing cookies on my PC. I have millions of things on my mind including numerous debts/cards and current accounts and I've decided to streamline things so that I don't have too many passwords etc to remember. I also work full time and travel a lot so have 12 hour-days away from home. That kind of thing, you know I have a life and a lot to juggle on my own.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Armorica 4th Jul 17, 3:35 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Armorica
    The CASS documentation is clear. The two banks should have realised this.

Submit a complaint to Clydesdale so they get a kick to change their scripts/advice.

Hopefully the cheque worked...if not ask them to take a debit card payment to clear the balance. (And yes, it's easier to pay of the balance as you leave...not after)
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 4th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    The CASS documentation is clear. The two banks should have realised this.

Submit a complaint to Clydesdale so they get a kick to change their scripts/advice.

Hopefully the cheque worked...if not ask them to take a debit card payment to clear the balance. (And yes, it's easier to pay of the balance as you leave...not after)
    Originally posted by Armorica
    Thanks - exactly. Some people have said 'why didn't I realise' but I was taking both banks' advice all the time and assumed they would know their stuff. That's why I was phoning them, to sort it out.

I have made a complaint and it is being looked into at the mo. Will see what Clydesdale come up with. Halifax gave me £20 as a goodwill gesture.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 4th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Oh and my TSB bank was credited with £130 switch incentive today so that was nice.

I think my credit file has been affected but not with a default or anything too bad. Just too much switching has temporarily affected it - too many applications as well so I'm going to keep a low profile with them all for a while and keep some stability.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Clydesdale complaints team has arranged for a £100 cheque to be sent to me in compensation for all the hassle.

Lessons learnt all round.
    DFW - goal December 2019

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,108Posts Today

6,869Users online

Martin's Twitter