Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 23rd Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 92Posts
    • 30Thanks
    nessa1422
    Query About Sickness Benefit
    • 23rd Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    Query About Sickness Benefit 23rd Jun 17 at 11:55 AM
    My 19 year old daughter recently started work for a large retail company on a 10 hour contract. After 2 weeks she injured her hand badly (not work related) and has been off since then, 7 weeks today.
    She has seen Consultants and has regular Physio and her GP is signing her off work.
    Her employers are unhelpful to say the least, but I appreciate that they must feel unhappy that she has been off longer than she has worked, and that they need to cover her shifts.
    My question is around payment whilst off. She is not receiving any form of salary at all, and I wondered if anyone knows if there is any benefit/payment she could be receiving? I don't think she earns enough to qualify for SSP.
    Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 23rd Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    Has she been given an SSP1 from her employer?
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 23rd Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    nessa1422
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    No she hasn't been given anything.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 23rd Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    That's the first thing she needs then. The employer should have given her it within 7 days of being off sick to give the reason for not paying SSP.

Once she has that she can speak to DWP about claiming ESA
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 23rd Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    nessa1422
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    That's great, thank you so much. They have done nothing at all. Will go in today and ask.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 23rd Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 8,781 Posts
    • 11,615 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    What does her contract (or terms) of employment say about sick pay: She needs to read it!
    • Stop Watch
    • By Stop Watch 23rd Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Stop Watch
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    Is there no work she could do in the store at all? I am surprised that she has kept her job after only 2 weeks then 7 weeks sick.

Showing willing would be better than not going in at all.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 23rd Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    It can't do any harm to check the contract, assuming she has been given one. I'd be very surprised if she has any entitlement to sick pay from the company, but they have a legal obligation to provide an SSP1 if they aren't making any payment. Without that she will have problems getting ESA.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 23rd Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 23rd Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    I think she needs to prepare herself for the possibility that the SSP1 form will be followed by her P45 shortly after.
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 23rd Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    nessa1422
    Thank you all. She has offered several times to come in and do anything, but they do not want her on the shop floor and have said there is nothing else they can find for her.
    She was told at the start of her sickness that after 3 months the company can terminate her contract, which she is fine with. It's just the lack of information or support and this is a major retail company. She went in today with a printed SSP1 which the Manager was reluctant to take - she didn't seem to know the process, so it's all been frustrating really.
    Thank you again for your help.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 23rd Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Your daughter does need to press them for the SSP1. The claim can be backdated up to 3 months, but she does need the SSP1 if she remains in employment.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 23rd Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 5,996 Thanks
    lovinituk
    If she only does 10 hours a week at minimum wage she doesn't qualify for SSP...

https://www.gov.uk/employers-sick-pay/eligibility-and-form-ssp1

earn at least £113 a week
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 23rd Jun 17, 6:21 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Tell her to contact payroll/HR
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 23rd Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    nessa1422
    For some reason they won't give her the number for HR! She's arranged to pick up the SSP1 on Monday and will then ring the helpline for ESA.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 23rd Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Has she been handing in her medical certificates at work? If so, she'll need them back for her ESA claim as DWP will only accept original certificates. Her GP may be willing to provide a duplicate but they don't have to.
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 23rd Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    nessa1422
    Yes, she's handed them in every week, so I'll make sure she asks for them with the form. Thank you.
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 16th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    nessa1422
    This saga goes on so I wonder if I could get some advice from those of you who were kind enough to reply before.
    My daughter has still not been able to get the SSP1 from back from her employers. She has been in several times and her manager is either too busy to see her or not available. She has been promised a phone call but has not yet managed to speak with HR or been given any helpful advice, so she has not been able to start a claim for ESA.

Her GP has signed her off for a further 4 weeks but the certificate states that she is able to do amended work so she went in to offer to do anything, but this was refused.
    Once this gets to 12 weeks, they have the option of terminating her contract and it seems to me that this is what they are holding out for.

I would like to do something to help her sort this out as it's causing her some degree of worry. Does anyone have any idea of how to proceed? Should she/I write a formal letter? Although I'm not sure how to word it.

Thanks.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 16th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 10,522 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    This saga goes on so I wonder if I could get some advice from those of you who were kind enough to reply before.
    My daughter has still not been able to get the SSP1 from back from her employers. She has been in several times and her manager is either too busy to see her or not available. She has been promised a phone call but has not yet managed to speak with HR or been given any helpful advice, so she has not been able to start a claim for ESA.

Her GP has signed her off for a further 4 weeks but the certificate states that she is able to do amended work so she went in to offer to do anything, but this was refused.
    Once this gets to 12 weeks, they have the option of terminating her contract and it seems to me that this is what they are holding out for.

I would like to do something to help her sort this out as it's causing her some degree of worry. Does anyone have any idea of how to proceed? Should she/I write a formal letter? Although I'm not sure how to word it.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by nessa1422
    Follow this link:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/check-if-youre-entitled-to-sick-pay/
    • epitome
    • By epitome 16th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    epitome
    What date was her first date out of work due to sickness?

Make the claim for ESA Income Related on Monday 08000 556688, backdated to that date.

It does not matter that she has no SSP1 yet,
    It does not matter that she does not have her Med certs that she gave the employer.

Regarding the SSP1, ESA may process the claim without it on the basis that they know she would not qualify for SSP. But she should still insist to her employer that they give her one, and send it to ESA when she gets it. They will want her payslips though.

Regarding the Medcerts, when she claims ESA they will ask her for the dates of any existing medcerts, they will be recorded on her claim, and the claim will be processed without them, she can then send the medderts when she either gets them from her employer or gets duplicates of them from her doctor (a NHS doctor is not allowed to charge for duplicate medcerts for benefit purposes)
    Last edited by epitome; 16-07-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    • nessa1422
    • By nessa1422 16th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    nessa1422
    Thank you both so much. Will phone next week as advised. Just can't see why her manager is being so obstructive. They are a household name company so should know the process.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

9,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin