Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 7,830Posts
    • 25,769Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 30
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 27,293 Posts
    • 99,129 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Have you tried doing a mono contact lens trial Coffeehound and Old Mother Tucker?
    Did not think it would work but it is brill.
    You wear 1 contact lens (in my case for reading) and the brain adapts and processes the information so you can have simultaneous short and long sight.
    You adapt really quickly.
    Ask the optician - SS do free trial on this.

I was just fed up with needed umpteen reading glasses and putting them on taking them off all the time.
    Originally posted by helcat26
    I had that once, when I got fed up with having to use reading glasses over my contacts.

Yes, it was good for a while, perhaps about three years, until the difference between the presbyopia and the myopia became too great, so at that point I very reluctantly gave up the contacts and got varifocal glasses.
    Hated going back to glasses, but it was all too much of a pain.

The varifocals have worked very well for everything except playing the piano.. a very specific middle distance when reading music, so I have a special pair of glasses just for that.

If I need to do very close work, like plucking eyebrows or filing nails, I pop my glasses on my head or peer from under them.

It is very irritating though, that I had to go back to glasses as I hate them and always have, ever since I started wearing them in childhood. Contacts were brilliant, and I wore them for 30 years.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • dontone
    • By dontone 16th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 10,375 Thanks
    dontone
    Today's 'Dontone Irritation'

The fact that a geek like myself, and thousands of others have to sit through a game that toffs enjoy (and are the only ones who can afford tickets to) just so we can find out who the new Doctor is afterwards.
    Wouldn't mind, but 2 weeks of Wimbledon, and I have yet to hear of anybody spotting a Womble.
    Big fat MEH!!, And no doubt I'll be whinging at WHO-ever has got the role anyway 'cos it will be either a woman (worst case scenario), some pretty boy, or someone I have never heard of.
    Facebook will be fun reading though.
    That's it, carry on
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 16th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    avogadro
    it will be either a woman (worst case scenario)
    Originally posted by dontone
    This seems likely, given the BBC's recent tendency towards positive discrimination, hiring more female performers on shows which used to be predominantly male.

But I am surprised that so much public attention is being given to what's essentially a children's tv programme.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 16th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 10,375 Thanks
    dontone
    This seems likely, given the BBC's recent tendency towards positive discrimination, hiring more female performers on shows which used to be predominantly male.

But I am surprised that so much public attention is being given to what's essentially a children's tv programme.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    Because it is a British institution. More so than the likes of Eastenders (I think) and a lot of the other rubbish that is aired on the telly.
    Sue Barker & co are tormenting us now. They are going to recap the entire 2 weeks and last years event as well, aren't they?
    Please get on with it!!!!!
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• avogadro
    • By avogadro 16th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    avogadro
    Oh dear, it's Jodie Whittaker..

I thought as much!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 27,293 Posts
    • 99,129 Thanks
    Pyxis
    The clues were there, though, in little odd remarks made by The Master and Missie.
    Not to mention all the speculation that's being going on for the last three incarnations at least.

After all, if some religions believe in reincarnation as an animal, then why nor Dr. Who in a female incarnation?

(It will be interesting, providing the writers come up with a decent script for once.
    Ecclestone and Tennant had some extremely good scripts, but since then the quality has dipped, imo).

Now, maybe the next discovery will be that God is a She as well?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 17th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 12,489 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    A certain team leader and another colleague who will not be flexible to help us out because of colleagues on annual leave and on sick.

These two their kids have left home, no real commitments.

Everyone has changed their work hours even getting family to look after kids etc.
    • Happyhousewife
    • By Happyhousewife 17th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Happyhousewife
    I've just had a phone call cancelling my hospital appointment tomorrow for the 2nd time

I was supposed to see a general surgeon as I have a few possible hernia's. They cancelled that & made me an appointment with a plastic surgeon after looking at my medical records. Now they've decided I need to see my original surgeon who is on holiday so I've got to wait till she gets back before they can make me an appointment with her
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 10,375 Thanks
    dontone
    I've just had a phone call cancelling my hospital appointment tomorrow for the 2nd time

I was supposed to see a general surgeon as I have a few possible hernia's. They cancelled that & made me an appointment with a plastic surgeon after looking at my medical records. Now they've decided I need to see my original surgeon who is on holiday so I've got to wait till she gets back before they can make me an appointment with her
    Originally posted by Happyhousewife
    And had you called to cancel, & rebook, no doubt they would be sending a rather abrupt letter telling you that if you cancelled again, they were washing their hands of you.
    Hope you get sorted soon.

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 17th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 25,897 Posts
    • 13,707 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    People who shut windows on buses in a heatwave.
    On a more personal point, people who shut windows in a shared dorm during warm weather and then have a curry for their evening meal.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,660 Thanks
    Penitent
    My body feels my life is not adventurous enough and decided I should experience what I think was an ocular migraine. Didn't hurt, but scared the !!!! out of me (lost my depth perception, then spent 20-odd mins watching weird shimmering take over my vision). It's lucky I'd read about them before when I was reading about the normal kind of migraines, else I probably would have called 999 thinking I was having a stroke or something.

I also seem to have gone a bit nuts on the food today and I'm now really uncomfortable.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 17th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 49,354 Posts
    • 134,956 Thanks
    colinw
    Gravity do you ever get the feeling that gravity and inanimate objects are ganging up against you?
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 17th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 12,489 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    With this new prescription lark of dropping off repeat prescriptions at gp practice or online instead of chemist, it was easy for me the old method as I work opposite a chemist. I did ask on my note I dropped at the surgery last week (a mile away) to put a request could a medication could go on repeat.

Picked up my medication today to see my repeat prescription list hasn't been updated
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Gravity do you ever get the feeling that gravity and inanimate objects are ganging up against you?
    Originally posted by colinw
    Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks!
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1751.1
    This week 69.6
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 17th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I have itchy arms
    They don't look sunburnt so I must have rubbed against some vegetation while I was out with the dog today.

This week 69.6
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 17th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 7,830 Posts
    • 25,769 Thanks
    fairy lights
    My neighbours !!!!in saniflo toilet, it's like there's an industrial cement mixer whirring away on the other side of the wall. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be that loud.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 17th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    minimad1970
    I've got the fan on as it's still hot, and I'm of a certain age. It keeps blowing strands of hair onto my face which scares me as I think it's a spider

I'm sat in the dark as well which doesn't help!!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 12,489 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Flying ants annoying little things. What's the point of them?
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 18th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    avogadro
    People who shut windows on buses in a heatwave.
    On a more personal point, people who shut windows in a shared dorm during warm weather and then have a curry for their evening meal.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    I recall visiting a relative's house one evening during exceptionally hot weather a few years ago, and she had every window and door shut "in case the moths get in and eat the clothes". We were all melting!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 18th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Flying ants annoying little things. What's the point of them?
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Think of them as young 'ladies' out on the town in all their finery looking to get laid

This week 69.6
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,680Posts Today

9,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin