Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,278Posts
    • 27,724Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 19
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 6th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 27,724 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Was having a perfectly good day (week, in fact) until I saw something that knocked the wind out of my sails and now I feel flat and paranoid and blurgh. I'm irritated how easily my emotions are affected by small things.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 7th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 15,932 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Was having a perfectly good day (week, in fact) until I saw something that knocked the wind out of my sails and now I feel flat and paranoid and blurgh. I'm irritated how easily my emotions are affected by small things.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Karma got me for laughing at Gonebust's bra disaster and I burnt my wee boobies yesterday!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 7th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Talking of cats, ours has decided that house = hotel.
    Food when he wants, in and out without so much as a by-your-leave.
    No "Hi parents, nice to see you" or anything.
    When he feels like it, we can't get rid of him though!
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 7th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    There's something called a "summer" happening. It's awful. I hope we won't have to have one every year.

Also, my wheelie bin is a really annoying height. In order to pull it smoothly, you need to lean it at an angle where it won't pull itself upright when you're trying to move it. In order to achieve this angle, I have to hold it so that the handle is uncomfortably low (just above hip height), so it's pulling down on my arm and making my arch my back a little. I'm not massively tall (5'8"ish), so if I'm struggling, the poor bin men must feel like their arm's coming out the socket by the end of the day.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 7th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    I want to cut my hair, but the replacement Amazon order I didn't want might be arriving today and sod's law means the postie will knock when I'm halfway through and looking utterly tragic (nothing makes you look unhinged quite like a half-finished buzzcut).

I'm going to have to call my consultant's office again. The secretary I need to speak to is never available and never returns calls. I'm finally running out of patience and want to make a complaint, but I'm scared that'll result in her deliberately messing up the letter I need.

Edit: Should I be worried that no-one's answering the phones in reception at a psych IP/OP unit? Not the sort of place you would think should be left unattended.
    Last edited by Penitent; 07-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 30,453 Posts
    • 112,056 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I ordered 4 identical items from Amazon, in a material design I thought I'd never, ever find, and was delighted when I did. Something needed for four people to wear in my AmDram group.

There were only four left, so I grabbed them!

One arrived the other day. The others were following.
    Today, I got an email saying one is no longer available!
    I need FOUR!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Missli
    • By Missli 7th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,607 Thanks
    Missli
    Only momentarily, but had to catch upon my thanks. Don't know how big thankers manage!
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 7th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    gonebust
    Karma got me for laughing at Gonebust's bra disaster and I burnt my wee boobies yesterday!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker

• avogadro
    • By avogadro 7th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 6,236 Thanks
    avogadro
    The secretary I need to speak to is never available and never returns calls. I'm finally running out of patience and want to make a complaint, but I'm scared that'll result in her deliberately messing up the letter I need.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Passive aggression does seem to be rife among NHS 'support' staff. It's a pity we all put up with it. Maybe try PALS, where it wouldn't be construed as a complaint as such?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 15,027 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Snipped for brevity.

Ordered some stuff from t'internet.
    <snip>
    Why is there no way of checking whether customs duty will be liable and how much it might be, before you order the stuff?
    <snip>
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I ordered a micro SD card reader for use with my phone from a company called Menova. They're based in California, but my order was shipped from Hong Kong.

Before I ordered it, I checked with the HMRC whether it would fall liable for customs duty so I knew - I think I went via the HMRC website's "Contact Us" link and submitted the details there and got a response.

The total order value including shipping was a little under £10.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 7th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 12,787 Posts
    • 48,754 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Why is it that the dog has nice, fresh, clean water indoors yet she sneaks out into the garden to drink from the dirty boot bucket???

And I have indigestion, which I wouldn't get if I remembered to take my blummin' meds

And I have a headache.

And a cold I think
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 15,027 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I really didn't understand that post. They said they did it because they're scared of wasps and bees. I'm scared of wasps and bees. If one comes in, I either leave the room until it goes back out on its own (if it's flying around the room) or catch it under a cup (if it's hovering on the window and can't seem to find the exit). It's an awful thing to do in any case, but I just can't see someone sitting there carefully snipping away when they're supposedly scared.
    Mrs MbW is scared of wasps and bees but she waves her arms around like a silly person. I'm sure that's more likely to cause her to be stung.

Me, on the other hand, I just freeze and be completely still until the bee or wasp goes away or isn't too angry if I wave my hand towards it in a "go away" motion.

I've never been stung - now, bitten by mosquitos? That's a different story, those little bar stewards seem to like me a lot...
    Married to an immigrant.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 15,027 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Coventry City Council have announced "we're going to give every household a food waste recycling bin", which takes our total up to 4:

General waste bin
    Recyclables bin
    Garden waste bin
    Food waste (mini) bin

The irritating thing is they never announced any consultation or asked for any feedback first (well, if they did, I never caught the announcements - I don't read the local newspapers and only listen to the local commercial radio station).
    Married to an immigrant.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 7th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 19,508 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Beloved son took birth certificate, bank statement, humiliating ID photos into school, got all the copies signed & neither he nor neutral third party could find the Two Sections on the form where it says the neutral 3rd party has to sign the photo.
    He's off on two weeks work experience so today was effectively his last day (I now find.)

Am pondering not quite infanticide, not quite manslaughter, but certainly Something Unfortunate to the Firstborn...
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 15,027 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Beloved son took birth certificate, bank statement, humiliating ID photos into school, got all the copies signed & neither he nor neutral third party could find the Two Sections on the form where it says the neutral 3rd party has to sign the photo.
    He's off on two weeks work experience so today was effectively his last day (I now find.)

Am pondering not quite infanticide, not quite manslaughter, but certainly Something Unfortunate to the Firstborn...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Was this a passport form, DFV?

If so, yes, they're poorly laid out - I think the government hired a lobotomised zombie ad executive to design them.
    Married to an immigrant.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 7th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 27,724 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'm tired and grumpy and I want to go home and eat pizza in my pyjamas but I'd made plans to go out tonight and I'll look like an anti-social !!!!! if I cancel.

Edit: I can't believe the swear filter is editing out '!!!!!', it's not even a real word. Now I'm irritated by the swear filter.

Edit edit: and how does 'Twazzock' get through, if '!!!!!' is blocked? Where's the logic?!
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 7th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    I'm tired and grumpy and I want to go home and eat pizza in my pyjamas but I'd made plans to go out tonight and I'll look like an anti-social !!!!! if I cancel.

Edit: I can't believe the swear filter is editing out '!!!!!', it's not even a real word. Now I'm irritated by the swear filter.

Edit edit: and how does 'Twazzock' get through, if '!!!!!' is blocked? Where's the logic?!
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    It's hard to say without knowing which !!!!! it is.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 7th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 27,724 Thanks
    fairy lights
    It's hard to say without knowing which !!!!! it is.
    It's !!!!!. Not !!!!s and definitely not !!!!!. Just good old !!!!!.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    In 30 Days of Night, the vampires want to eat a load of folk, yet there's gallons of blood all over the place. They can't be that bloomin' hungry if they leave half of it on the ground, up the walls, etc. I really want their mums to turn up and give them a speech about the starving vampires in Africa.
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 7th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    Timpu
    Your neighbours under Nuneaton & Bedworth Council have had those four bins for several years now. In all that time, I've yet to see a single person put out their food waste bin. Complete waste of money.
    Same here, had the four separate bin for years, collecting on alternate weeks for General/Garden/Recycling. Interesting what you say about food bins, they are well used around here but it is collected every week so that might explain the popularity. I like having food waste go out every week and not stink out the general waste bin (that's for the dog poo to do) .

I saw our neighbour's general waste bin had a 'No food waste' sticker on it and mentioned it to DH. He chirped up that we'd had one on ours but he'd taken it straight off, knowing it'd wind me up and we'd be having this conversation if he didn't .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

5,218Users online

Martin's Twitter